Immigration advice for a prospective PhD student with wife and kids

Hi All!,

I'm 39, married and with two kids (7 and 9). Right now I'm in the application process for a PhD Scholarship in the University of Groningen (I have been already accepted in a research group), and I'm really excited for this opportunity.

I am confused about immigration rules in Netherlands. My plans are to bring my family with me, and to live with the scholarship stipend (1700EUR), probably a loan (from my home country) and part of my savings to support my wife and kids needs.

However, I'm not sure how would be the immigration process and requirements for my case. According to IND's website, my wife requires a 'sufficient independent long-term income' in order to get a residence permit with me. If I am her sponsor, could my $1700 scholarship be considered also as her long-term income? what about the kids? there are no income rules when it comes to children?

I have perfectly clear that 1700EUR won't be enough for a family to live, but as I mentioned before, my plan is to supplement the scholarship with my own savings.

Any clarification or advice is really welcome!

Héctor

Hi Héctor and welcome to the Forum.

Can you just confirm the nationality of you and your family?

I have the same query,I m from Pakistan and have wife and 3 kids,I will be starting my PhD in SEP 23 I Netherlands,I have sponsorship will get 1700 euros/month from my home country,I want to move with my family my kids are 9,6 and 4 years old,what requirements I would have to fulfill and would I need more money to show in my bank account while applying for

I have the same query,I m from Pakistan and have wife and 3 kids,I will be starting my PhD in SEP 23 I Netherlands,I have sponsorship will get 1700 euros/month from my home country,I want to move with my family my kids are 9,6 and 4 years old,what requirements I would have to fulfill and would I need more money to show in my bank account while applying for
-@destineyourself

€1700 isn't enough for a family of 5 to live off.