Registering a birth in the Netherlands

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in the Netherlands? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in the Netherlands?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Give me a call *** for information.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please provide infos on the forum instead instead of posting your contact details.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,

The process is described in this (link) Dutch Government website.

Our experience; I'm a Brit, my wife is Dutch.   Our eldest was born in the UK, our twins were born in Germany.  In both cases, we had to visit the Dutch Embassy in the relevant country to register their births abroad (and to get them added to our "Trouwboek" - this is our official Dutch marriage document).  They all obtained UK Birth certificates when I registered the births with the UK authorities; all our kids have dual-nationality.

I'm sorry but I don't know about the process :(

Hieveryone,
Please if am to take my exams in May when can i possibly join my husband?

Is your husband a Dutch national? Maybe he could help you out with that. I also have a Dutch husband en we have a daughter together, who was born here in the Philippines. As far as I know, my husband had already registered our daughter's birth certificate there, but Isn't registered as a local since we both are still living in the Philippines. Hope this helps.

Based on reading the other forums, it requires that you might first pass the exam, which takes weeks to process. After receiving an email (your partner also will receive it) stating you passed, then you can already start applying for the long term stay visa.
I'm also planning to take the exam by next year. What country are you from?

My husband is a citizen there in netherlands and i leave in ghana, we also have a four months old son togather. We got married here in ghana. I learnt i have to take the exams before i can join him. But i want to know how fast that will be after taking the exams. The exams will be in May 2018 and after the exams what do i need to do again.

Ghana

As long as your son is registered already or has a Dutch passport, he will no longer need visa to come to the Netherlands. As for you, just like me, after we take the mvv exam, we will wait for weeks for the decision. The DUO will send us an email if we pass or fail. If the latter happens, we can always retake the part where we failed. If you pass, then congratulations, you can already gather documents for the requirements of mvv visa. The validity of the exam is for only 1 year. If you fail to not come to the Netherlands in 1 year after passing, you must retake the whole exam.

Oh kk, thank you sooooo much, am sure we will one day meet there😊😊😊😊