Verification against EU law

Hi everyone! I am a German national and have lived in the Netherlands for 13 years in the past. I have a Mexican husband (we got married in Mexico in January) and I am applying for jobs in the Netherlands at the moment and we'd like to do the verification against EU law for him.

Is it true that he can just come to the Netherlands on his 90-day tourist visa and we can then start the process from there? I know I first need to get a job and register with IND myself but is it correct that he doesn't need to apply for a visa from outside the country or go to the Dutch embassy in Mexico for example? From what I can see we only need his passport and our marriage certificate?!

Anyone with experience please let me know. Tried calling IND twice already but always get put on hold forever....meh. thank you :):)

Hi @Moninchi

Form our experience. I am bulgarian citizen and I recently married in April to my Turkish national husband. Firstly, my husband applied for a 90 days tourist viza in Istanbul, beacuse his visa was rejected before, I send him an invitation. To do that I signed a sponsorship from in my municipality. This step is not essential some nationalities gets viza without complications.

Before he applied for a viza I registered myself with IND I advise you to do it sooner because it take a lot of time I applied in May and I received the registration card in August things like taking your biometrics or even taking the document needs appointment and there is no available appointment in the same month always. You can see more information about it in IND website on registration for EU citizen and the form that you need to send.

This is important beacuse you need to send 

a copy of lawful residence with the application of verification against EU law.  Another important thing is work if you want to apply for verification against EU law you should have a proof that you have a sufficient financial of to support your spouse.

After my husband arrived to the Netherlands  we submitted the application to the given address. we were told that will  recived  a letter within 3 week.  Luckily we got the brief in a week and it stated his V number and that he can live and work in the Netherlands for a period of six months until he received the final decision after 6 months and also that he has to make appointments for biometrics. For the viza my husband applied through the viza travel offices they send the documents on his behalf  to the embassy. If you want that your husband  come sooner I suggest  you start with everything  as early as possible we had to wait  for around three mounths  for an appointment  for viza in Istanbul maybe it is not case in Mexico and you can get appointment faster. Good luck I hope you can unite soon with your  husband.

@Moninchi Hi.

We also want to do verification against EU law.

You can apply facilitation visa. Yeah they will give you 90 days. Facilitation visa is free.

To apply for visa go to Dutch embassy in Mexico, the important thing is married certificate ( must be authenticated).

You have to fly to Netherland first then apply verification against EU law.

I will fly on October.

Hey ladies! Thank you for your experience! Just something to clarify: why did your spouses apply for the facilitation visa? Was that because they'd always need a visa to come to the country? Mexicans don't need a visa to go to the Netherlands for 90 days and can just go with their passport so why would he have to go to an embassy?

@Moninchi in that case he dose not a viza

Hey ladies! Thank you for your experience! Just something to clarify: why did your spouses apply for the facilitation visa? Was that because they'd always need a visa to come to the country? Mexicans don't need a visa to go to the Netherlands for 90 days and can just go with their passport so why would he have to go to an embassy?
-@Moninchi

There's a difference between a stay for a maximum 90 days and permanently living in the Netherlands.

@Moninchi  Hi, I'm from Panama and we also dont need a visa to come to Europe. In that case then he just needs to come to the netherlands and the partner who is the eu person applies right away for the verification againts eu law.

The others replied like that because you mentioned the word visa and embassy.

I did the process myself with my partner from Iceland and I just got my reaidency approved.

They let the mexican person work for 6 months while the response is provided but tbh with you, I got a job and when I presented the letter stating that I could work for 6 months they said NO because the minimum contract they had was for 8 months... I got lucky that I received the approval 2 days later and then they decided that was ok and gave me the contract.

Finding a job in here is hard. I'm a business analyst and I went to 63 interviews which led me into a depression for failing the interviews so be repared mentally, I have spoken with other latinos and is the same story that may take 4 months to get a job

Good luck!

@Melody Hall: Thanks so much for your help!!! This was such useful information!! I'm so relieved!! And how awesome that you have the Panama+Iceland combo!! Love it!! I can imagine that it's hard to find work. I'm glad you managed to find something! :) un abrazo!!

@Moninchi un abrazo para ti tambien and I hope you both can start the proces ASAP. You both chose a good countey as they process rhings fast, I jave a friend in spain and she has been waitinf for 1 year her residence permit from her husband and another friend in France who is father now and has been waiting since November las year. Here at least is less time specially if you are married. I also got my bsn before receiving the approval which is something you can do too as you will need it for work, they asked for my birth certificate apostilled and also the translation apostilled, my passpport, my apartment contract as my partner and me appear i  the contract and a picture of the id of the landlord. Then the company I will work for asked formy insurance, just try to have one either for expart or try your luck with the regular dutch insurances as they request mainly the residence card not the paper that you are waiting foe it so is why also the expat type ones work, I'm mot sure why the employer asked for me having insirance because my husband didn't get asked for it at all but I guess is the luck of being european, thanks God I had it 1 week before and they took that one.

Hi I'm from Mexico and my partner is from Sweden but he found a job in Amsterdam and we want to apply for verification against EU law I am translating my passport,that Ido not pose a threat to public order or national security. That means I do not have a criminal record, the letter that proves I'm single, my birth certificate, and rental contact. We been together for 7 years and I fly every 3 months and stay 90 days with him and I fly back to Mexico so is very expensive but some how we make it happen. I just want to know if we should apply once I arrive at the Netherlands , Can I stay more than 90 days or I need to go back to Mexico after my 90days I have as a tourist? As Mexicans we don't need a visa to go to the Netherlands and how long it takes ?

Hi I am from Sri Lanka I am Ann I can wanto go to please help me EB 3 UNSKILL LABOUR visa.I can very hard working we are spend very difficult life in Sri lanka.please help me and my husband we don't want big  salary a

I agree with all salary .pleas help me we are working day salary Sri Lanka rupees 1800/= only

Hi I'm from Mexico and my partner is from Sweden but he found a job in Amsterdam and we want to apply for verification against EU law I am translating my passport,that Ido not pose a threat to public order or national security. That means I do not have a criminal record, the letter that proves I'm single, my birth certificate, and rental contact. We been together for 7 years and I fly every 3 months and stay 90 days with him and I fly back to Mexico so is very expensive but some how we make it happen. I just want to know if we should apply once I arrive at the Netherlands , Can I stay more than 90 days or I need to go back to Mexico after my 90days I have as a tourist? As Mexicans we don't need a visa to go to the Netherlands and how long it takes ?
-@Stephanie Rodriguez77

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

For you it is quite simple; all of the details are on the Dutch Government website; this link will take you straight to it.  Basically, you travel to the Netherlands and join your partner, and you then apply for verification.

I wish you both the best of luck in your new lives together and hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi, everyone!

I was hoping somebody could help me...

My husband is italian and I am brazilian and we got married in italy. We are both residents in italy (I have an italian residence permit). He just moved to the Netherlands, made his RNI registration and will start working soon. I am here with him already. We are staying on a staff house provided by the company he'll work at and we have 3 months to find a place for us. My question is, does he need to have a house contract on his name or we can use this address we're living at when applying to the verification against EU law? is his work contract enough? (along with the other required documents). I need to work ASAP.

Thank you so much! Cheers

@almeidamari rental contract is not required for verification against eu law, since he already registered and has an address it is ok. Actually we changed addresses half way into the process, and you dont even have to notify the IND about this because the system automatically updates your address so it is not a problem.

@sevimhasanova Hi!!!

does this mean that we can just use my personal address when starting with the application, as we don't have an apartment for us as a couple yet?

@Jenni Costa i am not sure if this changes when you are not married, but yes you can use your address. The address you give is actually just for communication

Hi everyone!!! Thank you for the infos in this discussion! I have a doubt as well:

My partner and I want to do the application for verification against EU law, I am the European citizen; he holds a EU residence permit

when filling in the application form, which addresses should we give? i lawfully reside in the Netherlands but my current address is not the one where we will be living long term, bc it's too small and there is no possibility to register another person.

I see on IND website “Are you not in the Netherlands when your application is granted? Then you will not receive a residence document.”, does this mean that he needs to be (somehow) REGISTERED in the Netherlands at the time of the approval, or just that he needs to be in the country with me and not somewhere remote in the world?

thank you in advance 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Hello Everyone, I'm Favour by name from Sweden. I and my wife are planning to relocate to the Netherlands. My wife is a Swedish citizen and am not holding any resident permit but i live in Sweden with my wife. I want to know what she need to do to enable me apply for a resident permit under EU Law, she will be  looking for a job when we come and we have sufficient funds to live before she get a job.  I want to also know what is consider sufficient funds the amount?  It's possible for me to apply immediately we arrive Netherlands because i can travel with my wife without visa from Sweden.  I will be grateful if any one can response with information.Thanks

Hello Everyone, I'm Favour by name from Sweden. I and my wife are planning to relocate to the Netherlands. My wife is a Swedish citizen and am not holding any resident permit but i live in Sweden with my wife. I want to know what she need to do to enable me apply for a resident permit under EU Law, she will be looking for a job when we come and we have sufficient funds to live before she get a job. I want to also know what is consider sufficient funds the amount? It's possible for me to apply immediately we arrive Netherlands because i can travel with my wife without visa from Sweden. I will be grateful if any one can response with information.Thanks
-@onose202

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

All the details regarding this can be found on the Dutch Government (IND) website; this link will take you straight to it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Jenni Costa Hi, any update on this problem. I am looking for a new apartment in a different city due to me changing my studies and many apartments only have a registration for one person. However my partner and I would like to apply for the verification against EU law soon.

@Jenni Costa Any update on this. I am moving cities in The Netherlands, and so many apartments only have one registration but my partner and I would like to apply for the verification against EU law in the upcoming months.

Can I assume this is for Amsterdam?

Most properties are restricted to a maximum of 2 (non-family members) registering. Families can register 2+.

I've never heard about limitations of 1 max. This may suggest the owner wishes to remain registered and could be a reason for suspision.

@James Evans no it's in Rotterdam. I'm supposed to view it this week but only one person can register and I'm unsure where my partner should then register when we do the application. But also in my apartment in Limburg currently only one person can register.

@Jenni Costa Any update on this. I am moving cities in The Netherlands, and so many apartments only have one registration but my partner and I would like to apply for the verification against EU law in the upcoming months.
-@britishgerman2023

Are these one room student appartements?

@Primadonna No. Like the one in Rotterdam is a 65sqm with a living room and a bedroom and my apartment now is also  one living room and one bedroom but only one registration possible. It is possible I won't find a place in Rotterdam and will have to stay where I am now, but then when we do the application where can he register :(

These appartements are suitable for just one person and unfortunately you have trouble to find bigger for the two of you if you look around in the cities. Try to find some in the smaller places around Rotterdam.

The public transport is often good and well organized that you might take that in consideration.

Register one person per adres is a rule that comes from the experience from the past: too many people were registered at one address where they never lived to get benefits from the government/municipality.

Sometimes the owner or the one who is renting it, didn't even know that it happened but they had to pay more local taxes and it was up to them to prove otherwise.