Registering a birth in Malaysia

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Malaysia? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Malaysia?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Not yet.I am also planning for the same.If u know any information kindly pass it

Dear All,

Eva here, yes i had registered my Son here,  please dont delay so you wont go thru complication.

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Malaysia?  yes

What was the experience like? It was easy as i am not late, pls bring proof of birth as that helps, the baby tag when they are newborn even helped me a lot, and hospital bills. 

Your hospital shall give you the letter you can forward to Jalan Duta

Who is required to register the birth, and where?  Can it be either the mother or father?
jalan Duta, either mother or father can, bring proof marriage certificate, passport and visa stamp

proof marriage certificate, passport and visa stamp, hospital bills or confinement book

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed? ITs like 5minutes procedure as long no long queue, shud not more than 30 days if i am not wrong.  Be safe with in a month, otherwise you will need to go thru late registration procedure

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?
Yes after you register the baby birth certificate you have to go to Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get ur baby's birth certificate certified by that body otherwise your own country embassy wont validate your application your application to your country nationality.  Since malaysia wont give you citizenship by birth.  You need to register the baby to your own country so that within six months he should have his passport and dependent visa pass.

Hope the above helps.

Thank you!

Eva

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Malaysia? What was the experience like? --> Yes, I did almost 3 years ago.

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?  --> Any child who was born in Malaysia.  When you give birth at hospital, the hospital will issue all compulsory documents for your new born and tell you where to submit for the Birth Cert which is in bi-languages (Malay and English)

==> Documents provided by hospital + Parent Passports + proof marriage certificate

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?
==> Within a day. The birth cert application must be within 45 days.

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare?
==> Yes, it's just the same, but instead of document provided by hospital, you just use a proof of the Birth Cert issued by Malaysia. After getting birth cert with your home country Embassy, you have to proceed to get Passport then DP within 6 months or before you want to bring your child oversea of Malaysia.

Will your child be able to have dual nationality?
==> No.

Hi Priscilla

We are from the UK and have registered the birth in the UK.

What are your plans?

We will be in Malaysia at the end of Sep.

Best regards

Anton

Priscilla is an expat.com moderator........

Hi Priscilla!

My husband is from Sarawak, Malaysia and I am Filipino. For us, we chose to just apply for Malaysian Passport for our son at the Setia Tropika office. It took us at least 2 days of going back & forth for the application due to overlapping information inconsistent with what was advised at the ground floor and on the upper floor. If not, we would've finished it in 1 day.

We chose Malaysian citizenship over dual since Malaysian passport has far more benefits than holding a Filipino passport. I must confess I have not researched the advantages of having dual citizenship but I know Malaysians are eligible for that (I have a Friend whose kids are Japanese and Malaysian citizens + Singapore permanent resident)