Thinking of moving to Queensland from Malaysia. Need advice

Hi guys,

I am very new to migration between Australia and Malaysia. Btw I am a freelance bookbinder and part time commercial photographer working in Kuala Lumpur. I have long been thinking to work abroad in Australia especially not in the big cities such as Queensland. I am a graduate majoring in Human Resource Management in my local government university.

I would like to ask you guys for which am I eligible for skilled worker in your country as a book binder and part time photographer? I did see the profession is in the list of skilled workers demand in Australia.

Could you guys help me out for better guidance since I have no reference from friends who works in Australia.

Hi hatizal,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

Hope other members will be able to advise you.

You may view this article : Work in Australia

Wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Hatizal,

Did you check out the Australia's Immigration website at immi.gov.au ?

The direct link to the skilled occupation list is as follows:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/

You have to read carefully which schedule of the SOL you are reading.  Based on the information, if your occupation is found in Schedule 4, it states that GSM applicants must be nominated by a State or Territory government agency under a State Migration Plan.  Check out regional government websites of Victoria, New South Wales,etc. There might be some information on this website about specific skilled occupations that the region is willing to sponsor applicants.  But even if you are sponsored by the regional/state government, it doesn't always include a job. Just providing you with a visa in order to be able to work in that region/state.

Not familiar with the industry you work in. But check out some of Australia's online job websites mycareer.com.au , seek.com.au, careerone.com.au , etc.  to apply for jobs that you maybe qualified for.

The immi.gov.au website will provide more detailed information about the different visa opportunities. The skilled migration visas require that your skills to be reviewed by the authorization organization to determine if your skills/work experience is recognized in Australia. Then a points test.

Thank you Christine & jb09, a big thanx for ur guidance although Im certain there is uncertainty for my career in demand. Will check it out carefully.

Do you have to apply to State Migration first before we apply for DIAC for the PR application?

Does Queensland also require IELTS? As i have studied in the USA for 5 years and now working in Singapore. Does anyone know what the English requirement is now for QueensLand

Hi farooq0520,

I think you are confused about the State Migration Plan. Please check out the following link to clarify what the different skilled visas.

http://www.workliveplay.qld.gov.au/dsdw … m?id=13083

The Skilled Sponsor or Skilled Independent Visa seem to be the two visas that will give you a PR visa if you are granted one of these. But the Skilled Regional Sponsor is a temporary visa. However, you maybe able to apply for the PR at a later date if you meet the requirements. Please review immi.gov.au to find more details.

I believe the IELTS is required for applying for any of the skilled visas. Depending which visa you are applying for will determine which IELTS score you need. You will have to check out the website to determine if your qualifications or experience in another country will waive you from not having to take the IELTS. I believe only specified countries are waived from having to take the IELTS test like the US. I am not sure that just studying in the US will allow you to waive taking the IELTS. Your current country citizenship also plays a role if you are required to do this.

The IELTS info pertaing to the three visas above : 

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general- … nglish.htm