Health insurance for self-employed individuals

Hello, everyone!

After months of research, I've finally found out how to register my business as a self-employed in Austria and obtain temporary residency. What I don't understand is how much I will have to pay for health insurance. I have read online that if you earn more than 6,500 Euros or so per year, you must pay a minimum of 369 Euros a month. Is it accurate? Do you pay every month or every trimester, bi-annually, etc?

I'm asking this because it seems quite high! How much can I expect to pay for health insurance for an income around 2,500 euros per month (more or less)? I need to know this before relocating there. I'm afraid that I will make this move and then discover that I have huge expenses. Can anyone help me with a piece of advice?

Hi there, I am in the UK at the mmoment, I travel back to Austria in the morning. When I am back home I shall enquire for you.

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

Hey there,

Not forgotten about you, just waiting to have a clear response.

Regards

SimCityAT

Ok, thank you! I appreciate it. Today I have contacted a friend from Salzburg and he said that the minimum health insurance is 182.26 euros/month and 127.16 euros/month for new/young businesses. These numbers are reasonable. But now I don't know what to believe. What I have read online is completely different.

Self-employed pay social security contributions to the SVA, 18,5% of their profits for the pension insurance, 7,65% for their health insurance and a fixed amount of € 9,90.- per month for the work-accident insurance. More information about this in English can be found here: https://www.svagw.at/portal27/svaportal … de=content

The income tax depends on the height of the total income, the first 11.000.- per year are tax-free, the rest is between 25% and 55% depending on the total height. Information in English: https://investinaustria.at/en/downloads … a-2016.pdf

Both are to be paid every three months.

... in prepayments calculated from an assumed profit you tell the tax-office when registering, and at the end of the year you file an income tax-declaration and then they are adjusted to what you really earned.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you very much! I have checked the file! I have one more question - for instance, if I anicipate an annual income of 15,000 euros for the first year, so I pay the 25% in income tax for the entire amount  (15k), or just for 4,000 euros (15,000-11,000)? Is the income tax divided into four payments per year or payed in one lump sum? Thanks again! It really helps!

andra33 wrote:

Thank you very much! I have checked the file! I have one more question - for instance, if I anicipate an annual income of 15,000 euros for the first year, so I pay the 25% in income tax for the entire amount  (15k), or just for 4,000 euros (15,000-11,000)? Is the income tax divided into four payments per year or payed in one lump sum? Thanks again! It really helps!

I will look further into it, but as it the weekend, I will get back to you next week with the correct answer. If that's alright?

Perfect! Thank you!  :)