School Holidays in Vietnam

Hey guys! My name's Paul, and have signed up to expatblog as in a couple of months time I shall be heading off to Hanoi in order to teach English for 6 months or so.

What I was wondering (along with a million other things!) is that I will be arriving in Hanoi around June/July time. However I have read that the school year operates similar to that of England, with term beginning in August/September.

What I would like to know is if there is ample opportunity to work beforehand, be it in Summer Schools or privately.. or if it is more likely to have to wait until school starts up again.

I'm so excited to start this big, new adventure and would love to gain as much understanding as possible of the country before I go!

Thanks guys.

Hi Paul, my partner and I are doing the same - moving from Melb to Ho Chi Minh though. Seems like most english teaching takes place out side of school terms and holidays anyway mate. Lot's of english language institutes that run all the time - including weekends and friday nights! Plus don't think you'll have trouble picking up individual tutoring that is pretty well paid.

I love Hanoi, good luck with the move!

Emma

Welcome on Expat.com proevolutionspeller ;)

proevolutionspeller wrote:

Hey guys! My name's Paul, and have signed up to expatblog as in a couple of months time I shall be heading off to Hanoi in order to teach English for 6 months or so.

What I was wondering (along with a million other things!) is that I will be arriving in Hanoi around June/July time. However I have read that the school year operates similar to that of England, with term beginning in August/September.

What I would like to know is if there is ample opportunity to work beforehand, be it in Summer Schools or privately.. or if it is more likely to have to wait until school starts up again.

I'm so excited to start this big, new adventure and would love to gain as much understanding as possible of the country before I go!

Thanks guys.

Hello Paul,

My name is Phuong. I am a manager of Language Edu school in Hanoi where teaches languages such as: English, French,… for Vietnamese students.
I ‘ve read your information and I ‘d like to invite you to teach in my school.
If you are a confident and ambitious person, please send us your resume via email: language.edu.vn@gmail.com
I am looking forward to co-operating with you!

Hi Phuong,

You should post your advert in the Hanoi classifieds under job section.

Thank you.

Hi everyone. I've been teaching English in China for the past 4 years and need a change of scenery. I would like to teach in Vietnam or Cambodia. Does anyone know of any schools, colleges or universities I could contact directly. I don't want to go through an agency if I can help it. The salary is not a prority I just want a position to get my feet under the table and hopefully better opprtunities will come along later.
If anyone could also tell me about possible pitfalls I may encounter or any other advice I would be most grateful.
Thanks in anticipation
Paul