Teachers salaries

Hello all,
I was looking for information on maximum salaries for teacher in VN. I have 20+ years of teaching various subjects in  high schools (American, Canadian and IB) and have advanced degrees.
I have noticed a couple of schools have advertised. Any suggestions on where I should research schools that are looking for a really good teacher or leader.
I am weighing options such as climate, standards of living, savings, etc and have short listed Malaysia and Vietnam. Thanks in advance for your help.

Just a few suggestions ...
- Standard pay package for teachers in Intl Schools in VN  varies from $40k to $48K per annum with all other benefits (housing, travel, child's education etc.)
- You may wish to look at Seek Teachers to get some ideas.
- For management and leadership positions, I see they haven't quoted the exact salary. It should be much higher.
- Some Intl. Schools in VN are members of Council of International Schools.  COIS also supports senior educators to find suitable jobs in their member schools.
Hope this info helps.

Thank you. I was not aware of these sites, most helpful.
I notice that some state the salary and that it is tax free, others do not, what would be the reason for that?

11judyc wrote:

I notice that some state the salary and that it is tax free, others do not, what would be the reason for that?

I think, it's the Net (take home) salary as you can see here in the "Compensation and Benefits" part of AIS-HCMC.
The school will take care of your income tax.
Most reputed international academic institutions in VN do the same.
Some highlight the "tax free" part to make their job adverts look more attractive to job seekers.
Unlike in the Middle East, there's nothing called 'tax free' in Vietnam.

Great, that explains it. Thank you.
Off to start my search.

In theory it might be 'tax free' if you do not meet the threshold for paying personal income tax (PIT) but that sort of salary would be nowhere near enough to live on.

Sorry, I can't contribute to the thread. But would like to ask for info and guidance regarding demo lessons. Those sometimes have lasted days and a few sly operators perfected the art of getting something for free.

They drag this out and at some point the applicant will be shown the door. (That's all according to "plan"). Be sceptical  if a very generous salary will be promised. It might be just "bait".

Cover expenses - am currently chasing reimbursement of like 661,000 d. Often promised, but the money hasn't materialized. Do you want this kind of hassle?

Moreover, do not let them choose "accommodation" for you you haven't greenlighted. I was asked to stay at a new center, sleeping on a straw mat and not even having showers. (Crouching down, one could use the "bum gun" - - -  :unsure ).

hs0zfe wrote:

Sorry, I can't contribute to the thread. But would like to ask for info and guidance regarding demo lessons. Those sometimes have lasted days and a few sly operators perfected the art of getting something for free.

They drag this out and at some point the applicant will be shown the door. (That's all according to "plan"). Be sceptical  if a very generous salary will be promised. It might be just "bait".

Cover expenses - am currently chasing reimbursement of like 661,000 d. Often promised, but the money hasn't materialized. Do you want this kind of hassle?

Moreover, do not let them choose "accommodation" for you you haven't greenlighted. I was asked to stay at a new center, sleeping on a straw mat and not even having showers. (Crouching down, one could use the "bum gun" - - -  :unsure ).

To be honest, the only places that ask for demo lessons are those that are employing teaching staff without the correct qualifications to met the work permit and visa requirements, or places that are not registered as businesses.

Oh, ahh. Recently, one place demanded demo classes for 3 different age groups. (Lots of talk how much they liked my performance. alas, the promised full time offer stayed vague. Days of that, I left. - Management is something all teachers should audit before signing long contracts.

The last few days, I've had about 45 minutes' advance notice before being asked to go on some hours long trip with the boss or to some school for marketing purposes. Last night, the boss came to the bedroom with his family in tow after 10 pm and was back around 6:09 am "to exercise" (as a group, which turned out to be a long walk through town with the new foreign teachers).

In a nutshell, [i][b]not listening & not caring[i][b] is something you might find over here. Stuff like being told to "be there by 10 am" when the job will start at 6 pm. Day after day!

HI