Naturalisation and citizenship in Malaysia

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Malaysia? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Malaysia? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Malaysian citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Malaysia offers a range of other solutions to people who want longer-term residence in the country. These include Permanent Residency, Talent visas, Malaysia My Second Home and the opportunity to invest in businesses.

The Constitution is the guiding legal framework for citizenship and details of which relationships to the country may lead to citizenship can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_nationality_law

"Those applying for citizenship by registration must have "an elementary knowledge of the Malay language". Those applying to become naturalised citizens must have "an adequate knowledge of the Malay language" and have resided in the country for ten of the past twelve years, including the twelve months immediately preceding the application."

The ties by family and blood are also detailed at the above website. It is mainly determined through the male parental line and marital status. What is clear is that the fact of being born in Malaysia does not entitled a person automatically to citizenship. Malaysia does not allow it's citizens to hold dual- or multi- citizenship. The matter of citizenship is managed by the Ministry of Home Affairs (National Registration Department) http://www.jpn.gov.my/en/maklumat-warga … rganegara/

Hi Gravitas,

Thank you for your detailed post  :)

Just for the inquisitive, and in your opinion, would it be avantageous if somebody wishes to settle in Malaysia for good ?

All the very best,
Bhavna

I think a person would have to appreciate the natural phenomena, such as climate and weather, as well as the general pace of life in the far east, to even consider trying to settle here. Parts of Malaysia are very popular as retirement locations on the MM2H visa. It's no longer a very cheap option to live here, as the COL has almost doubled in the last 5 years and continues to rise. But according to some surveys, the quality of life can be quite good with adequate income and after Singapore, Malaysia has the second best level in SE Asia. A person would need to be flexible and adaptable, ready to live in a multi-cultural society. The fact that English is widely spoken is definitely a bonus.

Thank you Gravitas, very much appreciated.

Bhavna

Basic Criteria for IT employees "15K monthly salary" as per Annual Income tax report... else it will be good to get RP easily.. (Residential Permit)

For getting a PR, is it equal to getting a citizenship and can anybody get a PR if they reside for a period of 10 years ?

its great to get a RP but its hard to go through the criteria is set to very high now.

For getting a PR, is it equal to getting a citizenship and can anybody get a PR if they reside for a period of 10 years ?

They are not the same. With a PR the applicant retains their own nationality and gets an immigration stamp for Permanent Residency. For citizenship, give up current nationality and apply for Malaysian citizenship. Check wikipedia and internet for details.

thanks gravitas, can you send me some links for citizenship and PR please

Use the Google search.

Dear Gravitas,

Sorry I just joined the forum so need to do catching up, firstly can I know if you're a consultant for expat services or just like one of us, an expat?

Is it true that application for PR will be treated on individual basis and if one applies to get a PR there is no guarantee that the the rest of the family will automatically get same status - not by default but merit on person to person basis.

Understood unlike application for Citizenship which be considered on more compassionate basis with the family unit favorably considered to ride on the principal applicant.

I've worked and the whole family have stayed continuously for 12 years - does anyone have any experience to share if we are fit for PR status - any input welcome.

About MM2H, understood qualifier need to be a investor and not earning regular income, is my understanding correct?

Thanking in advance for all your input.

There is some info at the beginning of the thread about citizenship and info about the PR stuff is readily available on the internet. I am a long-term expat like you. MM2H is a 10 year social visit pass (renewable) - but it is not a work permit, i.e. you can't have MM2H and have a job here  (exception being there is an ability to work in education for the over 50s as consultant etc.). MM2H is more tailored to people who have a breadwinner with offshore earnings or from purely investments in Malaysia, who want to live here. The best way is to apply and see what happens. Don't forget there is also the Talentcorp visa as well but that requires a monthly salary of RM20k these days. All qualification levels are rising all the time. Even for Labuan companies wanting work permits - its now RM250k paid up capital. I believe the qualifying liquid assets and monthly income for MM2H is about to rise as well.

i did.. i am not coming up with any relevant info.. can you share the link with please

:D

ahhh so u are all smiley face .. huh !!

Hi,
Do not waste your time thinking to get citizenship of Malaysia. Its just a holiday spot. Enjoy and go back.
Better you try for western or far east countries where a person and kids are having benefits of education, medical, retirement, etc. benefits.
Thanks

sorry , I did not go through all answers, but I know , it is almost impossible to to get Malaysian citizenship, and if you get it , you should reject your original citizenship

Cmon, be serious, people.

Technically, there is a path to citizenship but I have never heard of anyone getting it, including people born in Malaysia long ago but lacking acceptable proof because paperwork was lost or missing or never properly completed--according to only the government, not the family involved.

PR....again there is a technical path but who actually gets it? Very, very few. You need to be here 10 years before trying for PR, and then, as applicants have reported in other blogs, you apply and the years roll by and no answer from Immigration. I personally know someone who has been waiting 10 years for an answer and Immigration wont even give a reason for the "delay." Such cases are hardly rare. Who gets it? VIPS who are willing to drop millions in the country, and/or political or trade friends. Jim Rogers, an american economist now in Singapore, put USD200 million in a Singapore bank and got citizenship the next day. Thats who actually gets these things.

The government has good reason to curtail this--votes. 500,000 new expats per year getting citizenship could wipe out UMNO for good. Malaysia will never take that chance.

Im here nearly 18 years and just for laughs, when I was in Immigration last year for my visa, I asked about applying. I swear, the clerk just laughed and said, "well, you can try! ROFL." I just winked and walked out.

But this is also a reason not to stay here. Ive found an alternative country I like very much that WILL give citizenship in 2 years, under simple and easy conditions. I'm planning to do it. Lets face it, if you live in a country, pay taxes, live exactly as others do, why shouldnt you have an honest chance at citizenship and the ensuing rights, including the right to vote? Its just logic. But Malaysia doesnt run on logic, it runs on fear.

My country allows dual citizenship and I dont plan to give it up. But I do plan to stop carrying my passport and use a new one which will open doors like the ability to open a bank account and own property in my name at the same financial level as every other citizen, very unlike Malaysia.

So, what should anyone do? I would say that if you desire and qualify for MM2H or similar thing, go ahead and try that. Something more? Highly doubtful or even impossible. Dont hold your breath. Instead, then, try for an alternative place that really desires to treat you better and not mess up your life in the process. Life is short, and Malaysia couldnt care less if you live or die. Malaysia doesnt want citizens and PRs, it wants you to drop as many tourist dollars as it can clean you out of and then pitch you to the wind. And, from Malaysia's point of view, it sincerely hopes thats OK with you.

i think nailesh has a valid point

very well said :)

Hi Bhavna,
I dont have any idea. I am working in malaysia for past 1.5 years only. If you come across any information regarding this please let me know.
Regards

u can contact with me in what's app. actually I am not use this wepsite alltime.my what's app ***.Tq

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Kudos, CVCO, couldn't have been said better. Exactly the feelings that I am having about living here, working, paying taxes, being married to a Malaysian, etc etc, and still not having the same rights and privileges as the citizens.

Please do share in PM the name of that amazing country tho :)