Buy car in Mexico

Aloha everyone. My wife and I recently moved from Maui to Costa alegre Jalisco in search of tranquility. We have found it! Going from the tourist trap of Hawaii to the remoteness of Mexico is incredible. Wide open beaches to ourselves. Diving,fishing,paddle boarding,yoga, campfires man we got it all here! In the process we're building a casita with a vacation rental. Have been hearing everyone talk about buying a car in Mexico.  I drove my new Tacoma in from Texas last year. Going to use it just for trips outside Mexico. Looking for a used hilux with a 4 cylinder due to the super high fuel costs here. Got a lot of surfer friends here that can assist me in locating one. Might buy from a Canadian leaving town since the local guys tend to overlook regular scheduled maintenance on their vehicles. Ha. Anyway I beleive cash is king down here. I would not recommend using g a lending institution to purchase. That's just me. Don't think I could ever deal with another car salesman again. OK thanks and  Adios nos vemos en el Mar!!!

You can buy a Mexican plated car but need a resident Visa to register it.   You'll never be able to legalize a Canadian plated car.  If you have a Residente Permante Visa you can't have a foreign car

Most people here (Costalegre) buy cars in Autlan or Guad

sparksmex wrote:

You can buy a Mexican plated car but need a resident Visa to register it.   You'll never be able to legalize a Canadian plated car.  If you have a Residente Permante Visa you can't have a foreign car

Most people here (Costalegre) buy cars in Autlan or Guad

Hi, with a permanent resident VISA you could request the importation of your vehicule BUT this could involve mucho dinero if it is a recent vehicule less than 8 or 9 years old that is the reason my wife and I decided to sell our's before moving permanently to Mexico and basically we don't think buying one but use the local transports.
Here is the link to the Mexican imports rules, http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos … fault.aspx

Also, just a reminder that mexican autorities can impond your illegal vehicule, a little story, the autorities went to Perula area a few years back and seized quite a number of illegal vehicules even the mayor's.

Adios, GyC.

Trying to import your car may, or may not work. In the time frame of looking and actually moving (1.5 to 2 years) , the import rules changed a least 2 times. when we were coming here. Then the cost went up.
It really isn't worth all of that  , at least I thought so. 
I found it reasonable going back and forth because while I was on a visitor visa they refunded the money when I left.
Actually getting it out of the country so I could become permanent became very expensive. Then the insurance for nice foreign cars is a  major issue. With my current car the insurance is securing the banks interest and is supported by them, I don't pay it directly, they do. Yes it is figured into the payment on the car but that's fine with me it's under warrenty, has road service, and minimal maintenance is required so I'm fine

If he buys a car from a Canadian or US'er he has to title or registration.... bad idea

Yes Sparksmex.
it does get very complex fast.