Landlord Issues

How to deal with a landlord/housing agency that does not cooperate with you? My house is owned by a housing agency, not a individual owner. The real estate agent continuously choose to ignore our reports and requests about the issues in the house. Be it a bathroom issue or electrical issue, he is not being attentive as he was in the beginning. Even though the building management ppl helps us in some basic issues, some are in the mercy of our landlord alone. Since we don't speak dutch it is kind of hard to deal with the building management ppl as well. We still have 8 months of contract left and already feeling annoyed and agitated with the landlord's lack of attention.

Is there any govt body or association that protects/helps tenants rights? Especially expats? I live in Leeuwarden.

Hi there

I am sorry to hear about your issues. Sometimes it is just general poor service and other times it could be that there is a particular person who is the issue. I would recommend asking Arlette at TULIP expat services for advice and assistance - she is our rental agent and is very capable and efficient. Her company knows the law too.

Good luck!
Fiona

From memory, the tenant is responsible for minor repairs, with the landlord being responsible for major repairs - but they don't define what that means.

There is a Rent Tribunal (Huurcommissie) in Holland that deal with complaints between occupants and landlord's.  Unfortunately, the website is entirely in Dutch; I'll include a link in case you can get a Dutch person to help you.

The address is:

Huurcommissie
Postbus 16495
2500 BL Den Haag

I'd advise that you write to them and explain your problem.  Hopefully, they'll be able to help you.

Thanks much Cynic and Finross. Let me look in to the leads you've provided.

meanwhile, fellow expats please share your experience... :)

When you write a letter please add prove such as email,  contract etc. How more documentation and details the better your case.