Good and bad neighbourhood to take note?

Hello,

I remember reading somewhere someone commented some areas to avoid few weeks back, but i couldn't find that post back.

Can the locals kindly list some of the good neighbourhoods to consider and bad ones to avoid?
I will be working in Msida Qormi area. I am looking for somewhere, safe, clean, not many dogs (phobia), close to Msida/Qormi that is also reasonable in rent?

I read most properties listed online actually likely not available, i was wondering if 300 for a room in 2 bedroom shared apartment is easy to find?

The problem with finding a "good" neighbourhood is that most of Malta is not good or bad by neighbourhood, but by building. In most neighbourhoods there are modern, maintained buildings standing right next to crumbling hovels. Especially in your price range in the Msida area.

As for dogs, simply look at the sidewalks in any neighbourhood you are considering. People in Malta do not curb their dogs; they let them "go" right on the sidewalk where everyone walks, and even if they pick up the droppings (which is rare), you will still see the stain left behind. If you see evidence of dogs, there are dogs in that neighbourhood.

And don't forget that Msida is a pretty bad flood zone. Make sure you live and work on higher ground.

Your best bet is probably to start looking close to work. If you can find an apartment in your price range that is on the same side of the bypasses as your workplace, you can walk to work, eliminating transportation costs and traffic hassles and minimising your odds of running into dogs (people aren't usually walking their dogs during rush hour).

Got it, thanks for the warning on the flood area!

Hi all, I have narrowed down my search to Birkirkara / Hamrun / Pieta, any recommendations/comments on the areas, good or bad from your personal experience?

Thanks!

clexa wrote:

Hi all, I have narrowed down my search to Birkirkara / Hamrun / Pieta, any recommendations/comments on the areas, good or bad from your personal experience?

Thanks!

I would personally avoid Hamrun, the other 2 can be hit and miss depending on what you find

According to you : Which is the more cosmopolitan city between La Valette and Birkirkara ?

Valletta is the more cosmopolitan between the two. However, Sliema and St Julians are more cosmopolitan than Valletta.

Thank you Lambada.
Where are you living currently ?

Naxxar

I would choose Birkirkara, but of course it depends a lot. I mean, as there is so many towns that merge with other ones, it is sometimes very hard to say whether you are in Gwardamangia, Pieta, Hamrun or Santa Venera. I live in Hamrun now and is ok, there might be a lot of african migrants but I see them even more honest than other people.

For me the important thing is the space and suitability of the flat in question and that is not too noisy (something difficult to avoid in malta , but I managed to find one ).

Bad thing about Hamrun is the lack of green and the traffic.

About dogs, I think you've come to the right country, because I rarely see any here in Malta. Back when I was in Spain a lot of times, there was more dogs than people on the streets.

i own a place in what is technically marsa, one street from mile end, and we have been there a year and only issue we had thus far was being close to labours HQ which is something we will only have to deal with every 5 years and only if labour win lol.
all our neighbours are old maltese, young maltese families and established foreigners.
i would avoid main streets of hamrun, and stick to maybe next to where is borders msida, st venera and marsa, the main strip tends to be noisy and messy.
before living in marsa we used to live next to lidl which was also a place where we never has any issue except it was a bit noisy due to being close to regional road,,, but then again where in central malta is quiet :P