Renovating/Converting a House of Character

Hi,
My wife and I are thinking about buying an unconverted House of Character and converting it or rather having it converted. Since we neither have the time nor skill to do it ourselves, we would need a company that can take care of everything that needs to be done and first give us a good estimation of what it would cost. A lot needs to be done: pumbling, electricity, stonework, floors, kitchen, bathrooms, knocking down and rebuilding a ceiling and more. 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, garden, courtyard, dining, sitting, living, basement.
Do any of you have experience - good or bad - with any companies that can do this? We would appreciate recommendations or warnings or any general advice.
Also, does anybody want to venture a guess for the total cost of this? We´re guessing somewhere between 100k and 200k Euros, but don´t have a good idea.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jan

Hello Jan,

I posted a similar request for recommendations for builders or companies to renovate a house of character on this site, a couple of weeks ago and have yet to receive any replies. I also have a post on another forum which has not received a reply for 2 months!
So I'm curious to know if anyone did reply with recommendations as I don't see any replies at all. It would be great to share the information-I'm sure we can't be the only people looking for decent builders!

A lot of us rent and therefore have not used builders so cannot recommend anyone.

What you are looking for is called a "turnkey contractor" in Malta.

If it's a sizeable property expect this to take literal YEARS. It might take you more than a year just to get the permit to start working.  We bought a completed HOC and would love to renovate our own but several of my friends are renovating and tbh I can't see getting it done to a high standard if you don't have time.

Reply to GozoMo: Yes that's fair enough. It just seems odd how few people have been in a similar situation as Jan and I!

Hi Volcane,

Actually I do have permits to build. My problem was getting-and keeping-builders & a project manager to stay comitted to the project. I also have time, to be honest ,as I've been trying to get this done for , wait for it, 14 years....!
It's committment on the part of the Gozitan building community that's lacking, perhaps because they have always had more than enough work from peple who are residents? I honestly don't know.

vron wrote:

Hi Volcane,

Actually I do have permits to build. My problem was getting-and keeping-builders & a project manager to stay comitted to the project. I also have time, to be honest ,as I've been trying to get this done for , wait for it, 14 years....!
It's committment on the part of the Gozitan building community that's lacking, perhaps because they have always had more than enough work from peple who are residents? I honestly don't know.

My friends in Gozo have better luck than you then hehe. But this all sounds like par for the course alas.

Could I get some contacts from your friends in Gozo then?  :)

Hello! I am in the same situation as you! Did you manage to find some company to do the job...?? Any recommendations or tips are welcome!!

Ana

Ana Romero SG wrote:

Hello! I am in the same situation as you! Did you manage to find some company to do the job...?? Any recommendations or tips are welcome!!

Ana

You may not get an answer as the person concerned has not participated on here for for
a couple of years.

Ana Romero SG wrote:

Ana

When it comes to finding any kind of contractor to do the work be it painting, plumbing/electrical and alike it's tricky and takes time. The building industry in Malta is booming and all of them work in construction right now. And if you then find someone, keeping them busy working for you, it's another problem.

We bought a place last year which needed a bit of work, found a contractor who promised to paint the walls, fix some electricals and extend an ensuite. He promised to do this in 2 weeks as it wasn't a big job. The payment plan was 1/3 at the start and the rest when done. Alas. It didn't work out that way. He started, came with a crew, and then some of the work progressed, others not so much. We paid the initial fee, and then he started asking more money every week, threatened to leave unless we paid. So we gave some money. The job which was supposed to take two weeks, went on and on. His guys showed up for an hour, and left again or didn't show up at all. It took 8 weeks and with nearly double the initial plan (as "issues" were found). Despite the time it took, some things were done poorly.  I would NOT never ever recommend him!

One funny thing, over here in Malta, plumbers and electricians are one and same, as in if you get to be plumber you learn and get certified in electrical too.

Before settling with this guy, we did actually interview a couple of others. One of them bowed out, the other one came with what seemed hugely inflated costs. The one we hired seemed initially reasonable, but it went south pretty fast.  And unfortunately I've heard similar stories from several other expats as well.

Ask for recommendations from your neighbours, they likely know someone or know someone who knows someone. But be aware, being a foreigner and hiring a Maltese contractor, you're likely paying a lot more than a Maltese would do for the same thing.

Also, make sure you create a detailed list of all things that need to be done, room by room with as much details as possible. Take pictures of the current situation, print and include notes what needs to happen where.  That way you have a plan. And when you then find someone, make sure the contractor signs and agrees to what you want to be done or suggests changes and you then have a final agreement as to what needs to be done when, how and with detailed costs. Once the work has started, make sure you record the progress, visit the site once a day or at least every other day, take again pictures and record what's been done, not done. That way you have a full story to tell if you in the end need to sue them. We didn't sue, but it took a huge amount of yelling and a support by a Maltese friend who could yell in Maltese too to get our place finished.

And one more thing, do your homework when it comes to pricing. Check out what bathrooms cost, what tiles cost, what paint costs. Visit homemate shop and check out prices there and compare what your contractor plans to charge for them. Also, ask if the electrician  is certified to work in Malta. There's a list of those who are. And make sure you get the ID number of the contractor and the PM you hire.