Electricity cost in Rosarito area

Hello!  I'm considering buying a small property in Rosarito and retire there in about 2 years.  A friend of mine bought a condo unit in a newer high rise and said that she pays about $300 per month for electricity although she's only there part time.  This is very high for a 2-bedroom condo.   I initially consider condos but now I'm wondering if electricity would cost less in a stand alone house.   I'm assuming her $300 bill is due to shared costs at the big high rise.    Could anyone in the Rosarito area shed some light on what utilities actually cost?

This amount is very high. We rented a house last winter and my maximum amount has 132$ PESOS not dollars for a month. We rented a 2 bedrooms condo in 2013 (DECK 12 in PV) and the cost never exceded 150$ pesos a month
The residencial rates of the CFE varies regions to regions but normally it is 0,809$ pesos for the first 75KW, 0,976$ for the next 100KW and 2,859$ for any KW exceeding 175KW per month.
Does your friend have a specific METER and does she received a CFE bill to her name.

Good luck, GyC

Here is my experence.  The elecltric bill is in the name of the OWNER, not the renter.  WHen you rent  a a property your electric bill for the first 12 months will be based on the last 12 months usage of the previous tenant.  After a year it begns to reflect your usage.  I rented a house where the previous tenant had operated an illegal food prep kitchen (making fillings for tacos which he sold to street vendors) and the electric bill was more than the rent.  I replaced the breaker box, installed a new meter and   paid to have a professional electrician check out all the wiring before I found this out.  Once I got the bill on my own I paid 55$ every two months as long as I did not go over a certain KWH usage and I watched that carefully.  THe house was 3 bedroom 1and 1/2 baths, electric washer and cooking. Lots of lights and a complete office set up....phone fax, 2 computers, lazer printer, et al.  Electric space heater and small heater in the bathroom both of which were used sparingly but I was not interested in being uncomfortable.  Hope this helps.  I have  friend who has bought a home in Roasarito and has also lived in rentals there if you want to contact him....let me know.

Thank you!  I'll f/u with my friend to see if the meter is for her unit only.

Anne Stromberg,   Would love to chat with your friend about utilities in Rosarito.  Please share contact info.  Thank you!

I get confused about the cost of things in some of these threads.  In this I see $300.00 a month.  I think that is USD.  Then I see 150$ pesos and 132$ PESOS.  Doesn't 132$ PESOS = $6.53 USD????  Thanks.  Dan

[email protected]

for phone contact info.

I rent a 1 bedroom furnished apartment and equipped.

Your electricity cost will vary quite a bit by season if you have air conditioning and by what kind of electrical appliances you use.  In Zacatecas my bill averaged roughly $8 a month at current rate of exchange because I ate out a lot and didn't use my microwave or convection oven much.  I also had a newer refrigerator.

Here in Coatepec my first bill was 454 pesos fo 2 months or $12 a month at current rate of exchange.  I eat in much more run my convection oven and microwave a lot more for cooking, not just heat and serve.  I have changed my routine even more and I wouldn't be surprised if the next bill were double.

There are 4 tiers per kilowatt hour.  The first 150 cost 0.793 per kwh, the second 130 cost 0.956 per kwh, the third tier is charged 2.802 per kwh, of which I only used 53 kwh and after 500 kwh the rate goes up to fourth tier rates for each additional kwh in the 2 month period.  I'm told there's an "energy hog rate" that starts when you bill hits around $150 for a two month bill.  If that happens you continue paying the $150 for a year even if you reduce your consumption below $150.

I have lived in Rosarito full time for nearly three years in a two bedroom condo. My power bill has never exceeded $50 (that is in dollars) a month. To be paying $300 per month they would either have to be sharing, have incredibly energy inefficient appliances, or doing something extraordinary.

I got a nice surprise this morning.  I knew the electric bill was about to arrive and I went outside to see what the meter reading was.  As I was walking out the door, the landlady's son was coming out of their door with the electric bill in hand.  The bill was for 467 pesos for the past two months 13 pesos more than the previous two months.  So far, consistently less than $12 USD per month.  I think I'll start using the space heater as much as seems comfortably and consider a rollaround AC for summer.  Amazon Mexico has a selection of them.  8 to 10,000 BTU should be sufficient for the 4 hours or so a day it might be needed.