Single Retiree Receiving a Pension of $1,900 USD Per Month

If I choose to take early retirement now at age 58, my monthly pension would be 1,900 USD and will increase each year indexed to inflation.

Realisticly, after paying for health insurance, rent for a studio or one bedroom apartment in a beach community (does not have to be right on the beach, but preferably within walking or bicycle distance). Would I be able to live in Mexico? As far as my lifestyle cost goes, I'm in good health, a non smoker, occassional social drinker and my meals are split 50/50 between cooking at home and eating out at food stands or restaurants. I live a simple life.

Yes, you could live very well with that income in a beachfront apartment! We manage to live well with about 1,600 for a couple!

Good to know gringa! Thanks so much!!

Hi "Halfwaytree", my wife and I are Canadians (from Quebec) and now fulltime residents in Mexico since August 2017.
You shouldn't have a problem with your income living in our area even with numerous restaurants.
The only thing you would have to look for is the cost of rental because to many owners are looking for US$ and then stuck with the exchange rate (CA vs US) but you can find a nice 1bdr apartment for less then $10000 pesos/month walking distance to all necessities (we don't own a house and vehicule). You don't have the right to work with a retirees permanent or temporary status.
Other points if looking at fulltime residency as being a Canadian:
1- ask immediately for the permanent status visa if you meet the financial requirements https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/i … -do-i-need
The cost is more then double if you start as temporary residency status this is not the Visa fees ask by the consulate (temporary >$11000 pesos permanent =$5056 pesos)
2- check with Revenue Canada about becoming a "non resident" and pay taxes only based on the fiscal agreement between Canada and Mexico (15% of all pension revevues) or if your revenues are 90% from pensions then filed your tax return base on article 217 which reduces the %
3- check with OHIP for leaving permanently Ontario the best Mexican healthcare if your in good health would be IMSS cost based on age (50-59 = $7150 pesos/year) http://www.imss.gob.mx/derechoH/segurosalud-familia
4- call the Mexican embaasy in Ottawa or the Mexican consulate in Toronto they will help you in your project https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada/index.php/en/https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/toronto/index.php/en
5- your birth/marriage certificates have to be certified by the Mexican consulate or embassy and then translated in Spanish by an authorised translator in Mexico

Adios y suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Mexico is a huge country.  First, walking to the shore is just about the same cost as the water lapping your patio deck.
If you dont mind living near mosquitos I think you can squeak by.  But any expectation of an American quality life. ....I dont think so. 
There is always the odd situation.
I toured the Yucatan to check out exactly what you are describing....and for me it was not going to happen.  Merida is lovely.  ..a but far from a beach.  Cancun?  Very pricey!  layaway?  Very pricey.  Chetumal?  Better pricing' but would you want to be there?  Tulum?  If you can find a parking place you can be a hippie here.....no services.  Better learn to cook or live off the menudo truck.
I found that prices today are very comparable to USA cost of living.
Good luck.

Once again mexicogc, I can't thank you enough for help.

My very best wishes to you and yours!

AlicatAZ, that is a sobering response you posted. Maybe I may need to keep working for a few more years to build up my pension in order to live my dream, or maybe I need to  give up on a  beach community and think more along the lines of central Mexico. In any event, thanks for your honesty!

Halfwaytree wrote:

AlicatAZ, that is a sobering response you posted. Maybe I may need to keep working for a few more years to build up my pension in order to live my dream, or maybe I need to  give up on a  beach community and think more along the lines of central Mexico. In any event, thanks for your honesty!

Hi Halfway,

If you look at AlicatAZ ID info you will see she lives in Arizona and apparently didn't like Mexico. So take that into account. The others who responded actually live in Mexico so if I were you I would give their information more weight. As for mosquetos, those can be found in many countries including the U.S.

From my perspective, Mexico is much more affordable. I have lived here for over 7 years. Talk to the local Mexican counsel in your area regarding requirements and what you would qualify for.

Thank you travellight for placing things in context for me. Much appreciated!!!

https://www.point2homes.com/MX/Home-For-Sale/Quintana-Roo/Paamul/-62-Paamul-Rd-Paamul-Quintana-Roo-Mexico/62283If you have money to buy a home, I found a home in Paamul(20 min south of P.D.C.) the beach  was 50 feet away for $95000.00. Its not picture perfect,, a downgrade but had everything you need. $650 for elec.water. trash .gas and lot fee. the rest is your for health care and entertainment.  Easy/peaceful feelings

Thanks for posting that mrbjam. Some good buys there on the link you posted. For me however, I would like to sample different areas of Mexico on the Gulf coast, Caribbean coast and the Pacific coast before putting down roots. Maybe I will think about buying in the future. Thanks again!

I agree with you Travellight. Don't get turned on by misinformation from one person who doesn't even live here. I love it where I live. I have a dream view from my bedroom n living room for $500/month, all US style amenities. $50 for great Internet, international calls, cable with DVR including US broadcast channels. The rest of the utilities are probably about $30/month. So much good, cheap food; International, local, and even Gourmet. VIP movie theater for under $10, regular $4, half price Wednesdays. Lively people.  Walmart and two other grocery stores nearby. And if you really want to feel like you're living in the US, take a 20 min drive to the border and get whatever you need from there. What more can you ask for? No I'm wondering if I shouldn't keep all this to myself...

I agree with Travellight. You have many positives here, and one negative. There might be a personal reason for that, that has nothing to do with the subject. Yes $1,900.00 a month is doable. Perhaps not in Cancun or Playa del Carmen, but Chetumal very much so. Much cheaper, ocean front, and guess what, they have a duty free zone with big box stores if that is your thing. Food is fairly cheap there, But that does not mean you will eat filet mignon every day. Look at what the locals eat, look what restaurants they frequent and where they shop for grocery, and bingo, Leave the American disposition at home, get involved with the locals, and I guaranty you a great experience. Good luck.

Thanks for your valuable input Mrjfortin. Much appreciated!

Yes, you can retire comfortably given the lifestyle you propose to live. The current exchange rate (19+) is quite favorable. One caveat:  Do not have any significant credit card debt.

But, you are subject to Federal income tax. Depending if you maintain a voting, banking residence in the US you may be subject to a state income tax; this will diminish disposible income. If your retirement is indexed you are "inflation proof". Also, are you eligible for SS when you reach 62?

Until you reach 65 (Medicare) you may have significant health insurance cost. You can forego a US health plan and purchase a policy in MX. Pricing and coverage is as varied as in the US. It does allow you to visit non ISST (MX public hospitals) doctors, private clinics and hospitals  They are expensive by MX standards, but can be as low as 20% the cost of similar treatment in the US. The private sector hospitals/ clinics are usually located only in large population centers.

First Last. Thank you!!

Actaually I am Canadian. When I leave Canada I will not be covered any longer by Canadian health insurance. I have the pre existing condition of sleep apnea but there seems to be some dispute whether or not that will disqualify me from being eligible for IMSS. If it does then I plan to get a private policy with a high deductible to just cover me incase of a potential catastrophic accident or medical event or a serious disease diagnosis.

"But, you are subject to Federal income tax. Depending on if you maintain a voting, banking residence in the US "
Actually, you pay federal taxes where ever you live. And if you live in a tax state and earned any money in that state you owe taxes on that money. California is a classic example.

Totally depends on the region.  San Miguel de Allende:  rentals depend on where you want to live, from dirt cheap (but I'm not sure I'd want to live there) to very pricey, and everything in between.  Food and restaurants:  plentiful, great food, good prices.  Markets and organic food places all over the place.  For some reason the little tiendas are cheaper in a lot of things than the big grocery stores.  Fine public transportation, taxis plentiful, costing 50 pesos anywhere within the city.  And -- it's GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS!  Eye candy every time you turn around.  BUT:  the gringos are coming.  Rumor has it that more US citizens are heading south now, leaving the US, than Central Americans heading north, wanting to enter the US.

It depends what kind of neighborhood you live in.   The rent can be 20,000 or 30,000 too, if you live in the best areas.   The utilities are very affordable.  I pay $500. 00 for internet, $800.00 for electricity, and $320.00 for water.  The food for two people a week is about $1500.00 all in pesos currency.   We have a house helper that we pay $320.00 a week for one day a week.
The transportation is also affordable ....taxis here are less than $100.00 and tip is not necessary.   Some restaurant are cheap and others are similar US prices, but the majority are affordable. This is in Queretaro, Queretaro.   I hope it helps!!!

How on earth can you live on that for two with rent?

@ auntierie He meant pesos not US $.

Yes!  You can easily live on this amount.   Question:   does this include your social security income?   You and I are very similar in lifestyle.  I am a bit older than you but plan to live in Mexico for 5 mo. per year, beginning in Nov.   I found a small 2-br place just 9 blocks from the malecon for $900/mo.  My lifestyle is very simple and it will be great for when my daughter and guests want to come down.

Kind of a negative attitude, wouldn't you say?   I am happy in PV for about $1800/mo.   I use my place as a base and go to other regions.   Last year, a week in Oaxaca City.   It depends on what you are willing to give up as an American.   How to live and communicate with the locals, getting involved with volunteer work, making yourself visible to other foreigners and thus, making new friends.   I don't feel like a tourist.   I am just "myself" and keep myself open to new experiences.   It's wonderful.

SteveandMarty, yes I too have heard about the "caravans" of gringos heading south. LOL!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Wow Pennsylvania2! Those rents sound so high. I could get by on a modest studio.

I like your attitude rubytue60. I too plan on getting involved in some form of volunteering when I get established. My $1,900 USD per month will come mostly from my company pension. When I reach 65 the Canadian version of what you call Social Security will kick in. In Canada we get two, they are called Canada Pension Plan (or Quebec Pension Plan, if you live in Quebec) and Old Age Security.

Thank you.   You'll be fine.   I have a rental in Seattle but hoping to sublet so that I can use some of that money to offset my MX expenses.   By the way, that "negative" remark was meant for AllycatAZ, not you!   Good luck to you.

That's why the Russians had to build the Wall around East Berlin:  the "workers and peasants' paradise" was losing too many intelligent, educated people to the freedom of West Berlin.  And that miserable Wall stayed up for 28 years, until the Soviet Union collapsed.  Hmmmm.  Well, we will see.

You're right, Alleycat's view was fairly on the negative side.  But then, there will be that much more room for those of us who love Mexico!  yeah!

You would have no problem living in the Baja on that income.

Thanks for that info Chilangolite. Much appreciated!

I am exactly like that.I live very well in San Felipe Mx. I really want for nothing and have many friends.

Thanks for that suferdude. That makes me feel very hopeful!!!

I'm living among the 'raza', no condos for me. I'm in Puerto Penasco an up and coming ex-pat tourist spot in Sonora on the sea of Cortez. I get $1000+/mo disability and just bought a 2003 Chevy Venture for $300 USD (it needs work but my husband a mexican national is a mecanic). I pay $105 USD rent for a one bedroom, average about $20-30 electric and the lady next door makes the best homemade flour tortillas for 20 pesos a dozen. Live as close to the people as you can and you'll have a great time and save money

Wow grmafluffy. That is an unbeliveable rent. That's great!! Good point about living with the locals. That would be my preference!

The caravan is headed from the USA to Lake Chapala/Ajicic and ThAts where ALL future American and Canadian expats should go!!  They have all heard how awful San Miguel de Allende is!! (And because I love SMA and want it all for myself) I will continue to promote the dream of Lake Chapala and the beach areas of Mexico

In Mexico, 1900 usd per month? You live like a King!!!  I live for 12 years in Ensenada, I learned Spanish by speaking only with natives.  I do a little rental and I have, at the moment, 4 pretty houses literally 10 steps from the sea. In the very well-known American beach Community,  world famous and recognized, furnished, hot water, light, very clean, one with chimney, large garden. Short or long term between 500 dlls per month and 800dlls per month (3 bedrooms). Everything is possible with the right contacts. I know how to eat for 5 dlls or less, per day, not because I can not afford it but because I do not live to eat. My purchases of organic produce cost me 12 dlls for 2 weeks,  and free range eggs for 3 pesos each, for me and my dogs. Electricity every 2 months, 400 pesos, telephone and internet, every month, 387 mxn , water/gas 60 dlls per month. I eat out every day, as I do not cook, and I know where to eat, as I have IBS. Life can be as simple as desired. My rentals are in the housing section of this site, I invite you to visit them. Saludos !!!

Thanks for that reply GraziellaG. Your properties sound awesome!

You live close to me. I have been to Ensenada many times and like it there. Only thing , since it
is in a valley , I just can not get use to all the homes on the side of the hills

As I said in my post...depends where you live.   Rents that high exist in the fancy places....