Survey: Cost of Living by Location

Hi. I'm new to this forum. My husband and I are planning a move to Mexico. He has joint issues, and I have Reynaud's syndrome, so good weather is a priority for us. Since we are still in the early stages of this process, we are gathering as much information as we can for planning purposes. We are already taking steps to learn more of the language. We want to visit potential areas to live, and would like to hear from expats already living in the country.

A primary concern is how far our money can stretch, as my husband is forced into early retirement. I'm hoping I can either teach English or start a small business, if necessary. Could you please reply on this board with answers to the following:

What city do you live in?
What would a decent rental cost (preferably a house)?
How much do you spend on food, utilties, transporation, eating out?
Is a car necessary, or can you walk to most places?
What kind of shopping is there (stores vs. markets)?

Any insight you can provide is appreciated!

I live in Leon, Guanajuato. A pretty conservative large city 1.4 million, with very few gringos. Traffic congestion is moderate.
I have to say the weather is great, no extremes we have a small space heater used it 2 days last winter and haven't needed to crank it on yet this winter. We are a family of 5. We live a very American life style. We shop at Sam's Walmart, HEB, Home Depot, COSTCO, Sears. Golf available (but expensive), bowling, ice skating. Professional soccer 2nd division tickets $30 pesos, Mexican NBA $80 pesos. Movie tickets $35 - 60 pesos at modern cinema. Most movies in English with Spanish subs.

Living like the locals is MUCH more economical but it is nice to be a "virtual" American. We have Vonage with a TX phone number and cell phones for local use.

Medical care is pretty good, you can find English speaking Dr s and Dentist. Office visit $400-600 pesos and modern fully equipped hospitals (private) You need to pay upfront generally but I did have back surgery arranged thru Blue Cross.

We have several American restaurant chains Chili's, Applebee's Sirloin Stockade, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Dominos, Pizza Hut for those American food cravings (and you will have them)

Decent rentals from about $350 US and up depends on location we pay $8,500 pesos for upper middle class, small gated colony with wide streets, ample parking and 24 hour private security. Local private school tuition $2,500 peso per month. Gym membership for $1,200 pesos with heated indoor pools.

Plenty of taxis local area 30-40 pesos, across town 50-60 pesos
200 pesos to airport. You can make it to anyplace in the city by bus for 8 pesos (please hang on tight LOL). Generally speaking you can probably find just about every kind of store or service within blocks of where you live. A car is nice but we could easily get along without one and we do when the car is in the shop.

Water 350 pesos
Electric 2500 pesos (lots of electronics)
gas LP  600 pesos(water heater and dryer)
Sky TV 2 tvs  700 pesos
Gardener $100 pesos cut small yard, trim bushes edge
Bottled water 20 liters 23 pesos
Internet 400 pesos
Food depends on what you want 35 pesos for "local" meal for one
tacos 6 pesos carnitas 110/kilo
Little Caesers 2 pepperoni pizzas,bread sticks 2 liter soft drink $99 pesos
cigarettes $38 pesos
American style doughnut $4.5 pesos
Ritz crackers box $19 pesos
Loaf of bread $16 pesos
Applebees 100 - 250 pesos plus beverage
milk 1/2 gallon $38 pesos
ground beef $70 pesos per kilo
hamburger buns $15 pesos
traffic ticket running red light $150 pesos
Hotel prices for a nice place $500 - 900 pesos
Executive class bus service available to the beaches, DF, and most cities at reasonable prices. Toll roads are pretty expensive about $500 pesos from here to the border.

Tax is included in the posted prices, but check ads carefully to make sure IVA tax of 15% is included. We do not pay any other taxes or fees except for our visas.

beer  15-30 pesos per bottle

I've been researching the Guanajuato region, and have added it to my idea list. This is great data to have in determining a real-life budget. I enjoyed your humor about the city bus too :)
Thanks!

please what is the ethnic composition of the population in this region?

Wow, that's a really difficult question. Guanajuato according to the 2000 census is 0.6% indigenous peoples, every one else is Mexican. We did the 2010 census and I don't remember any questions regarding race or national origin. I believe the Mexican Constitution forbids such identifications with the exception of identifying indigenous peoples. San Miguel de Allende has many Americans, Canadians and Europeans, Guanajuato the capitol city no so much. Leon the largest city, foreign nationals not so common. I have noticed that in the last 2 years there are many more Mexicans returning from the US. Vast majority of population is Catholic but in the last few years Evangelicals, and Protestants are gaining in numbers.

The census did ask what the person's nationality is, what country, state, etc. he is from. I believe it did ask race and religion. Otherwise how can the census get accurate data?

Anybody from other cities want to share cost of living info?  Thanks!

If you want to get an idea of real estate prices (including rentals) there are a number of good sites to research including metroscubicos.com and the real estate listings on eluniversal.com.mx,. Both sites are free and have reasonable search engines.

Buying your food at local markets (mercados) is cheap to very cheap by American standards and the quality is great. Of course, you'll need some Spanish to do that shopping. Eating out is expensive, unless you follow the local tradition and have your large meal at mid-day at a restaurant selling comida corrida (MX$40 in Mexico City).

I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the country but in Mexico City there is no one answer to 'what is the price of water or electricity?'. The answer is 'it depends on where you live'. Utility rates are set by neighborhood or district; if you live in a high-income neighborhood your cost for electricity, water, etc. will be much higher than if you live in a modest to low-income neighborhood. Instead of a progressive income tax system (which gives rebates to low-income households) Mexico uses an up-front progressive pricing system.

One other thing you really need to be aware of if you will be renting. In many cases, the renter is responsible for paying condo and other fees on the unit.  If you rent a unit where the previous tenant has 'forgotten' to pay his fees for a year or two, you inherit that debt. So beware! Make sure you check that there is nothing owing on your prospective new home before signing any papers. That includes TV, telephone, internet etc.

Best of luck.

bdwight wrote:

One other thing you really need to be aware of if you will be renting. In many cases, the renter is responsible for paying condo and other fees on the unit.  If you rent a unit where the previous tenant has 'forgotten' to pay his fees for a year or two, you inherit that debt. So beware! Make sure you check that there is nothing owing on your prospective new home before signing any papers. That includes TV, telephone, internet etc.

Wow, that is great info... I'll be sure to check those websites too. I appreciate the tips.

I have lived in Playas de Tijuana, 6 blocks from the beach, in a 2 bdrm. apt. for the past 2 years. My 3rd floor balcony overlooks the ocean and sunsets and the busses and taxi's are right at the corner I live on. My Total Monthly Costs are Under $1275.00USD. My S.S. checks are more than this so I have money in the banks as well. Using busses & taxi's is cheaper than owning a car and I haven't missed owing a car Ever.
Expenses:
2 Bdrm. Apt. with Balcony            =$4,000. pesos
Elec. fluctuates but is for 2 mos.  =$   500. Pesos
Internet                                        =$   200. Pesos
Water (Bottled & for the Apt.)      =$   200. Pesos
Phone (Tel-Cel)                          =$   300. Pesos
Haircut                                        =$     70. Pesos
Busses & Taxi's                          =$   800. Pesos
Food (Eat out everyday & Groc.)=$6,500. Pesos
That's Under $14,000. Pesos a month @ 16X1 ratio.
Cigarettes $40. Pesos a Pack    =$1,300. Pesos
I have an Antenna I bought from a seller down here that gives me 20 channels (8 in English). Paid $1,300. for everything so I don't need Cable or Satellite.
I usually go into town 4-6 days a week, have coffee and lunch. This is Included in the above amount.       
That's Under $14,000. Pesos a month @ $16./$1. gives me money to save.

I don't see healthcare budgeted in there Mike. What do you do about healthcare ?

Dear TJMike,
That sounds super!  Hope I can get near there in Merida.
Tell me, I just read another recent post where the exchange was $13/$1.  You said you are getting $16/$1.  I wonder where you suggest getting pesos from?  Do you get this at your bank?  I'll be leaving from Phoenix.  Should I get Pesos from here before I leave?
Curious to learn,
Ally

Hi, Alicat;
Regarding the Peso value, I haven't seen it Under $16.30 in over 6 months now. The Banks in both America & Mexico pay different rates. I buy Pesos from 2 different "Cambios" located just across the border in USA. They're located at the San Ysidro Border crossing, on San Ysidro Blvd. just 1 block away from the Customs office and next to the San Diego Trolley. Best time to go is around 2:-3:30P.M. Monday thru Friday.
Check the date again on that other post, like I said the Peso has been in the $16. range over 6 months now.
Good Luck!

Healthcare budget depends on which international insurance you acquire.

Do you recommend an international insurance company?

Oh, What can I say?
I tried Covered CA. 8 months ago. They bungled up the premium ($63.88) a month and wanted $688. a month after 8 months. I haven't seen a Dr. since my Son was born 34 years ago so i'm "Winging" it for now. The Health care in Mexico is very cheap and $50. set aside every month will cover any expenses for medications or visits. After the fiasco with Blue Shield thru Covered CA, I just don't trust ANY of them anymore. Stay healthy, my Friend.

Check http://www.imglobal.com/en/index.aspx

Thank you so much.   I think there is an International bank in downtown Phoenix so I can land with pesos in my pocket.   Thank you for the update.   These posts hang on..... So we should end these by giving a date I think. 11/21/15

Hi,
I have no idea, but I too am interested.
My idea is to first find a city that I like and then try to find a place within it that I can afford.  Being happy has to be worth money as well, eh?
Ally

Gabgabu wrote:

If you live  in Mexico, you can sign for the Seguro Popular, it cost 300 pesos per year, and you only have to prove that you live legally in Mexico (showing your CFE, Telmex, cable, or water account or you can show your rent contract). With the Seguro Popular you can go to any hospital of the goverment.

Not quite, I'd say.

You have to be a Residente Temporal, Permanente or Mexican Citizen.  It costs nothing unless your income is very high.  Membership applies to the whole family.

The other option is IMSS (Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social.)  It does cost about $300 and, I believe, the residency requirements are the same.

It's hard to compare the two programs qualitatively because they have two independent sets of standards AND limitations.

Hi, Gabgabu;
Thank you for the Great information re: Seguro Popular! At That price I can't afford to say "No."
Now I have a "project" for next week. Going to look into this and i'll let you know what I find out.
Muchas Gracias!
Mike

I have continually studied this matter and it really does not matter what the cost of living is, the real crux is are you compatible with the area, then determine cost of living.  For if you are not compatible then it is a no brainer and you are wasting your time and effort on the cost of living.

That is my two cents worth.

For me there's a limit.  And, I suspect there are places that I shouldn't bother to look.
Even so, you can find accommodations in places like the Riviera Maya and the Pacific coast beaches to fit a budget but they may be less comfortable than in the interior.  Buying food where the locals do shouldn't vary much from one place to another. same for fuel, gas, electricity and internet/cable unless you must have air conditioning and/or electric heat.

With the exception of those few factors, I'd tend to agree that whether you'd feel comfortable in an area is the first measure.  Finding out the rest once you're there isn't all that hard.

I don't know David,
But it would seem to me that  the cost of living is definitely an issue. Say you visit a place, and just love it, but even a surface evaluation shows it's way beyond your means. Wouldn't having a good psychological fit be  much less relevant ?

It would seem that the terms of a rental agreement would be built into a good rental agreement and that would include condo costs if applicable.

There is a standard form rental contract available at most "papelerias."  It includes all clauses required by law and part of it is a description of what rent covers.  Most landlords are trustworthy but for your own protection, make sure that the agreement details all your obligations.  If you don't read Spanish, have someone bilingual with you.