Hi - planning to live in Mexico

I am not sure about the place to live in , in mexico, where exactly to move, but I just saw this post by a member here.. and this seems good for me.

My question is , is this a realistic estimate, if so what areas fits this budget in mexico, please help.. I am a pure vegetarian, with the exception of egg. also need internet, I am a freelancer.. please help..

"gudgrief 05 April 2015 15:55:32
$1000 USD is doable in cities like Zacatecas that are not expat colonies.
rent              $340     Decent two bedroom apartment.
electricity        $10     a month
gas                $10     a month
city water          $6     a month
Bottled water $6     a month
food              $150     a month
Internet, phone, cable
                    $40      a month
total              $570      approx

Transportation means walking, taxi, city bus  %30-60 a month.

You can't just barely get by without Spanish, not recommended.
With Spanish, you can have a rich social life."

$570 seems to be a tad low, however,  on some months it would be in line. Things like eating out, clothes will raise the amount. I run about 800 usd a month. Cost of cable, internet might be higher as mine is 764 pesos. I use a cell and text much more than calling, so I run around 50 pesos a month except when I travel and use a lot of data (maps, yelp, facebook, etc). The cost of electricity can vary depending on where you live. Living near the beach will up the cost due to the AC. High in the mountains will up the cost due to heaters (if you want this type of warmth). Rent can vary also. I pay 1,200 pesos a month for a two room apt., but this rare and took a long time to find the place. Anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 pesos would be a nice place.

I agree that $570 seems low, but not too much if you stick to smaller towns and stay out of tourist areas. Also, small towns near big ones are pretty good, because you have the convenience of a nearby bigger town, but not the prices. I would say $700 is average, but the prices for utilities and necessities vary a great deal. Research is required.

I agree with Babs and Joaquinx, That total is well below what we pay. We lean in the vegetarian direction also and we spend about a hundred a week on food not $150 a month. I suspect the $150 a month would not be the diet you are looking for.

Okay, so what are the low-cost areas? what is the possibility of finding shared accommodation?

Zacatecas is a very particular kind of environment, it is not for everyone. I would advise you to do you research as to low cost areas (that would rule out Mexico City right away, for instance) and then make a trip. There is a great variety of climate, landscape, atmosphere, architecture, social attitudes, etc in Mexico. How can you decide to live in a place you have never seen? Maybe on the forum you could define better what you like - hot or cool, culture or nature, beaches or urban life, closeness to an airport, public transportation (good in Mexico) etc, and the members can assist you. You can get internet just about anywhere you would want to live, that is not a problem. I don't think you plan to live in a hut in a jungle and even there, if there is a network...!!! Housing is almost always cheaper if you go through Mexicans, not gringos. So your Spanish has to be adequate. As for shared, there are some on craigslist, in the cities they include. I remember seeing interesting offers in Oaxaca, for instance, which is a lovely place to live, nice climate, beautiful, culture, etc. Even a little English library. But you need to specify your needs more, it is a big country. Do take a look at craisglist, it is a start....

What happens if you get sick?  Or have an accident?  You need to allow some in your budget for emergencies, repairs, and all those unexpected things that still always manage to happen.  Any travel to visit family/friends?  There always needs to be a fudge factor in your budget for the unexpected.

Fudge factor? For chocolate cravings? Just kidding, never heard the term - :) - I  love chocolate and will brake my budget slightly for it....In Guatemala I broke my arm and had free public hospital care - It didnt turn out so great but...it was free! I dont know if Mexico is the same....

Another thing to consider is that if you want to get a temp/perm visa, you'll have to provide proof of a certain level of monthly income.  If you come in on a tourist visa, you'll need to leave the country every 6 months, so budget accordingly. 

"Fudge factor", just a colloquialism, I suppose, that means "sh*t happens", and I definitely wouldn't count on free health care everywhere. It's reasonable in Mexico, but I don't think it's free if you're not a Mexican citizen. And what about dental?  What if you need a root canal?   Just trying to keep it real.  The older I get, the more I experience the old "sh*t happens" phenomenon!

This budget is no way to live. Totally un realistic. If you want to experience all of it just go there and rent for a few months.

beware wrote:

This budget is no way to live. Totally un realistic. If you want to experience all of it just go there and rent for a few months.

what is a realistic budget , please help. I am on a tight budget, please suggest low-cost areas.

nancyjeanfinney wrote:

Zacatecas is a very particular kind of environment, it is not for everyone. I would advise you to do you research as to low cost areas (that would rule out Mexico City right away, for instance) and then make a trip. There is a great variety of climate, landscape, atmosphere, architecture, social attitudes, etc in Mexico. How can you decide to live in a place you have never seen? Maybe on the forum you could define better what you like - hot or cool, culture or nature, beaches or urban life, closeness to an airport, public transportation (good in Mexico) etc, and the members can assist you. You can get internet just about anywhere you would want to live, that is not a problem. I don't think you plan to live in a hut in a jungle and even there, if there is a network...!!! Housing is almost always cheaper if you go through Mexicans, not gringos. So your Spanish has to be adequate. As for shared, there are some on craigslist, in the cities they include. I remember seeing interesting offers in Oaxaca, for instance, which is a lovely place to live, nice climate, beautiful, culture, etc. Even a little English library. But you need to specify your needs more, it is a big country. Do take a look at craisglist, it is a start....

somehat dry temperature /climate is preferred. all I need is may be 1 room with attach bath, natural gas, electricity, INTERNET, yeah food, travel are implied, phone, i guess are implied.
Will a budget of US$ 800-1000 be good enough, atleast suggest areas that fit my budget.  Thanks in advance

With $1000 a month you can do it. Dry might be central Mexico but it is getting rainier there, as seen and predicted. Any major city area will be costlier, and a gringo presence does not lower prices! Oaxaca has a nice climate. A rainy season but basically high dry plateau. Gringos have driven up prices but you can still find things, if you are willing to live simply.  You are so unfamiliar with Mexico - do you speak Spanish? You would have to live in such at least fairly gringoized area, it seems. Around Oaxaca there are nice areas/villages and some are cheap. Some one else can advise you on how well a USB stick might work. You would need to be in a decent network zone. There is public transportation in terms of buses, shared vans and taxis, saving you the expense of a car. But some Spanish is essential for saving and survival. I have seen simple cheap studios in craigslist in the center of Oaxaca. Have you looked, as I suggested? Your process is problematic, you appear to be unwilling to go visit for yourself or even research much. Google like crazy! But I think Oaxaca is a good choice. Does it have to be Mexico? Guatemala is cheaper in some ways. Do you need easy and economical access to the States? Airfare is expensive to Oaxaca but buses are cheap, you could bus up to Mexico City for cheaper air fare. However, you can solicit suggestions, but you will have to make an effort on your own. Maybe find something by the month in Oaxaca on craigslist and take it from there. Take some Spanish classes, meet people. Everything will not be easy, offered on a silver platter!

Yes, easy access to the States, and well, I am willing to travel and research for myself soon. Just getting some basic info right now.

Good. The easiest access is from Mexico City - way out of your budget of course - and the surroundings are not so cheap; Guadalajara, but the city is expensive and the Chapala area very invaded and not so economical either. or Cancun, the cheapest air tickets are from Cancun. But it is hot and humid all year round, you have to like that. And the only cheap area is around Progreso or maybe near the Belize border. I looked at craigslist - please so so yourself - and there are a couple of cheap things. I did not look under room shares, that could be a starting point and you share with someone who knows the ropes! Another dry place is the famous San Miguel, but that too is heavily colonized and while sometimes there are nice places in a lower range, it will not be cheap. For dry and easy to enter into, I can't think of any place better than Oaxaca. You will have to learn Spanish and get some Mexican experience before being too adventurous, and even then, although Mexicans are generally sweet and polite people, being accepted socially is something else indeed. Better to have a few expats around, believe me!

nancyjeanfinney wrote:

Good. The easiest access is from Mexico City - way out of your budget of course - and the surroundings are not so cheap; Guadalajara, but the city is expensive and the Chapala area very invaded and not so economical either. or Cancun, the cheapest air tickets are from Cancun. But it is hot and humid all year round, you have to like that. And the only cheap area is around Progreso or maybe near the Belize border. I looked at craigslist - please so so yourself - and there are a couple of cheap things. I did not look under room shares, that could be a starting point and you share with someone who knows the ropes! Another dry place is the famous San Miguel, but that too is heavily colonized and while sometimes there are nice places in a lower range, it will not be cheap. For dry and easy to enter into, I can't think of any place better than Oaxaca. You will have to learn Spanish and get some Mexican experience before being too adventurous, and even then, although Mexicans are generally sweet and polite people, being accepted socially is something else indeed. Better to have a few expats around, believe me!

I do have a friend in central mexico, she is a mexican, just dont want to be a burden on her

You might also consider the Xalapa area. Xalapa is the capital of Veracruz, and is quite metropolitan, but it is also surrounded by smaller, more economical, towms. Two of them, Coatepec and Xico, are "pueblas magicas" which means they try to preserve the old town atmosphere.. Coatepec is famous for coffee and orchids and is a very comfortable place to live. Not too many gringos. Small apartments can be found for well under $300 US a month; I have a friend who rents a room and bath for $1000 MX a month. Also consider Teocelo, Xico, Zimpizawa, Ursula Galvan--all of them are on the bus route. Altitude is between 4000 and 5000 feet, climate is coldish in the winter, great in the summer. This year has been exceptionally rainy and cold, but now it's lush and green. For me, Oaxaca is too dry, but then, I used to live in Seattle.

Babs G. wrote:

You might also consider the Xalapa area. Xalapa is the capital of Veracruz, and is quite metropolitan, but it is also surrounded by smaller, more economical, towms. Two of them, Coatepec and Xico, are "pueblas magicas" which means they try to preserve the old town atmosphere.. Coatepec is famous for coffee and orchids and is a very comfortable place to live. Not too many gringos. Small apartments can be found for well under $300 US a month; I have a friend who rents a room and bath for $1000 MX a month. Also consider Teocelo, Xico, Zimpizawa, Ursula Galvan--all of them are on the bus route. Altitude is between 4000 and 5000 feet, climate is coldish in the winter, great in the summer. This year has been exceptionally rainy and cold, but now it's lush and green. For me, Oaxaca is too dry, but then, I used to live in Seattle.

$1000 MX a month - is almost the same I pay here in India, so thats one good thing... what about the cost of utilities ? Internet, etc. How far are these places form the US?

Utility costs depend upon where you live. I live on the edge of town and pay about $140 MX every two  months for electricity, $390 MX every month for telephone and internet. I have no TV.  Water has gone up this year: I now pay $500 MX a year. My propane tank gets filled every 10 months or so for about $1000 MX. I cook and heat water with gas.. Fresh veggies and fruits are very economical and plentiful.

We are a day and a half drive from Texas, and in the 20 years I have lived in Mexico (only the last 8 in Coatepec) I have driven every year except the last two. Flying out isn't very convenient, involving a bus to either Veracruz port or Mexico City..

Of course not but she might know of rentals and other things that could help you, Knowing someone locally can be precious. Where is she? You could visit briefly to get an idea...I think you need to get down there, it will be much less abstract...

nancyjeanfinney wrote:

Of course not but she might know of rentals and other things that could help you, Knowing someone locally can be precious. Where is she? You could visit briefly to get an idea...I think you need to get down there, it will be much less abstract...

She is in Mexico City

I am looking to retire aND want to explore mexico.  I did travel to Oaxaca once.  The climate there is perfect.   Water is a challenge and that scares me a little.

OH, Mexico City is expensive, as I sad, that wont do at all for you. A visit is a must see, the Archeological Museum, Teotihuacan, Coyoacan, etc - to get an idea of Mexican history and culture and the astounding artistry of its people. But not for someone on a small budget, as a place to settle. It is also rather the gray big city too, polluted, etc. I would recommend spending a few days there to visit the main sites, hopefully with some help from your friend, then taking a bus to one of your places of interest. It is about six hours to Oaxaca, not far, and the buses are good. There are enormous bus stations from which you can go just about everywhere. Southwest has started flights to Mexico City, but when I checked, some time ago, they were not cheaper than other lower cost flights. Worth a try, though, and they are relaxed about luggage. A good starting point, anyway. If you are interested in the Yucatan, then of course you fly to Cancun. Good luck!

I understand your fears.
What I'm going to,say is direct . Please try to take it as information because I don't know you. Lets dumb this down.
1. Go for six months in the winter.
2. Use craigs list to find a room you can afford and need.
3. Food and shelter are all you need for now.
4. If you are a moocher you wont make it. Mexicans are poor, not dumb.
5. Keep return trip money .

Do it. You are nit going to die.,it's a good experience.

That was a bit harsh, this person clearly has no intention of being a moocher. Please! The rest follows what i have been advising, but much more gently, leaving the decisions open to the inquirer. Is that not a better way to communicate?

Realistic is $1000 / month. As others noted, to live here more than 6 months at a time without going to the border you need to qualify for a visa. A Temporary Resident pre-approval means proving 25,000 / month for each of 12 months in an account or ~$1500 / month for every month for 6 months. Once a visa you can get free healthcare. Lots of answers on my FB page.

saludos

Hi Nancy,
you may be correct about my approach as a little harsh.  However i spent over two years sifting through the infrastructure of Mexico.  I have lived with wealthy and with poor.  I have slept in fancy hotels and with families who are  fishing just to stay alive.
I have shaken hands with several middle income expats who packed their bags and moved on.  My intention was not to hurt this inquiry. i just wanted them to know the truth.
you sound like you are smart and know that other world countries are not the same as the USA unless you have enough money to buffer the truth.  I have the money to live very well down there. I found most poor to be very friendly.  i also know that if you keep giving they will keep taking.  That is the same in most countries.
Many people go there with some sort of dream and get an awakening.  This person obviously has a fear and wants to know.  I'm just adding more information.
To her and all on this site i apologize and would like to say i meant no malice.
Thanks for expressing your feelings to me.
KJPM

very good visa advise. Although you can buy black market extensions.
i was off the the six month period because of the visa law.

Nice answer, beware, you are open to critique. It seems you have a lot to say, could even write a book. Yes, we have dreams and often they crumble....c'est la vie. And each one has a way of approaching them and attempting to live them.  The important thing - is to try!

nancyjeanfinney wrote:

Nice answer, beware, you are open to critique. It seems you have a lot to say, could even write a book. Yes, we have dreams and often they crumble....c'est la vie. And each one has a way of approaching them and attempting to live them.  The important thing - is to try!

Appreciate your help, thanks a ton

I wish you the best of luck - it is often scary to confront the unknown, to contemplate a big change - But once you plunge into it, things become more familiar and you start to figure out stuff, take some steps forward. It is the initial venture that is the most daunting.

LateBloomer, I want to put in my two cents worth.

I left Oklahoma after 60 years there and have never regretted it.  I live near Tepoztlan, Morelos, which is an hour bus ride from Mexico City and fifteen minutes from Cuernavaca, and close to Cuautla and many other pretty and interesting areas.  I have loved every day here the past eight plus years.  The weather is fantastic, never cold, never hot, although the past few days have been rather warm. 

I love my little town of Tepoztlan.  It is very touristy on weekends, and rather quiet and calm during the week.  My favorite days are going into town for lunch and coffee shop. 

I go to Cuernavaca weekly to shop at Costco and Sams.  Today I wanted some supplies for a glass fusion course I just started, and I took the bus to Mexico City and back.  Mexico City is a wonderful place to visit, with world-class museums.

My state of Morelos has several ex-haciendas which have been turned into beautiful hotels with restaurants, and to splurge a little on lunch, they are beautiful places to eat and explore.

I love plants and now have a beautiful garden.  I also currently have about 13 dogs. 

Living expenses in little Tepoztlan are a little pricey, but manageable, if you are careful.  However, the surrounding little towns are much cheaper, and if you go in one direction just a few kilometers it is lower in altitude and warmer, or in another direction a few kilometers it is higher in altitude and cooler, so you have great options.  This area is rather cosmopolitan, with a surprising number of US and Europeans living here.

I agree, you need to decide beach or mountains, big city or small town, warmer or cooler, and you have so many places here in Mexico to choose from.

Larry Prater         [email protected]

Hi - 13 dogs! I love dogs but I dont know if your neighbors love you! Tepoztlan is in a lovely setting but you are right, it is pricey, and also rather artsy-chic. I have a feeling that is not the style of the inquirer. I thought of it but I did not mention it for that reason.I  spent a month there in March once and it was already uncomfortably hot for me. And it sounds like you have a car. I do not think that that expense is feasible on a tight budget. I do not drive and had to get around on public transportation. I was staying a bit out of town and it was not always so easy, and I  am valiant. And I dont even want to think about a trip to Costco with all the stuff to lug back. I can identify with the case in question because I am looking at a tight budget too, and the Mexico City area is inevitably going to be expensive. What is nice in Tepoztlan too is that there are direct buses to Mexico City, and a nice little cultural life in Cuernavaca. But I would really hesitate to recommend that part of Mexico to someone on a shoestring....

I also live in Tepoztlan and have off and on for the past 6 years.  All of what Larry says is true.  I have been back in the states for several months but will be returning there soon for good.  That is with the exception of visiting family and friends in Texas once or twice a year.  The hardest thing for me to get use to was the need for patience.  Hardly anyone is in a hurry and hardly ever on time for appointments.  We have a great market day on Wednesdays and Sundays with plenty of good veggies and fruits at very good prices.