Music Lovers please help!!

Hi guys,

I am into music and since there is not much to do here in Riyadh, I plan to learn a new instrument. I am into guitars and percussion and a little piano/organ. But I am interested with learning saxophone. Can anyone guide me to where I can buy an Alto Sax, preferably a Yamaha make. I heard Adawliah carry Yamaha in Riyadh, but I have asked two shops already, in Batha and Shola Center, but all I have seen there were some irresistible guitars from Fender and Yamaha. I truly appreciate it if anybody can help. Cheers.

Well it seems that nobody knows where to buy, I'll just try to look around if I have time....I'll update this thread if I happen to find one. Maybe Ill try the Kingdom tower or the one with the big ball on it..cheers..

Hey dynamo, try Faisaliah shopping mall, it has a music store on 2nd floor i think where food court is, i bought electric guitar frm there but im not sure abt saxophone. another store is in Granada mall.u may check there also.

Thanks Xain, I'll do that. BTW what area is Granada mall? I heard it has a good grocery store and lot's of western shops.

On another note, what electric did you buy? I am looking for Gibson Les Paul electric, just in case i suck in playing sax...cheers..

Your welcome dynamo,well Granada mall is between exit 8 & 9, Yeah it has carrefour and other western shops as well,

I bought Yamaha electric,i dont know abt Gibson les Paul as im not familiar with it :p

Wow fast response, oh yeah I think I know that spot, it's opposite Jarir, right? I'll drop by tonight. With regards to your guitar, nice choice, you will never be disappointed with a Yamaha. Happy jamming...cheers..

yea coz gettin bore in office n nothing else to do :p
well its not opposite jarir, i think you are mixing hayat mall with Granada :p its just before exit 9, u need to take a u turn from exit 9 n u'll reach Granada,

Yeah I agree with you, I am thinking of the same thing. I just want to make something of my time. Thanks for the clarification Xain.

Hi,

I am moving to Riyadh in the next month, if you managed to find a saxophone, I can teach you how to play, as I am an experience player, I brought 2 saxophones with me .....

Send me a message if you like to.

Nico

I have an update on my post, I just bought a Yamaha Y-23 Alto Saxophone from Granada center. The shop I got it from was Adawliah, located near Carefour. It was just an accident because it was owned by an English guy which he got for her daughter, but insisted to get a Bose speaker system instead. I got a good deal out of it and was of good quality. Need to practice though cause I know squat about any wind instrument. Well I have many years to learn....lol. cheers.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b32/dynamo1131/IMAG0066.jpg

Dynamo, thats a great horn you got there. Hope your neighbours R deaf. Some of the bloggers also play stuff - get a jazz band going :)

Sparrow wrote:

Dynamo, thats a great horn you got there. Hope your neighbours R deaf. Some of the bloggers also play stuff - get a jazz band going :)

Thanks for the compliment Ms. Sparrow. It took me a while to find this horn. I started playing for the past three days, and damn this thing is hard to play. The first night I started this, only air came out, no sound...lol. But now, some tones I can play already, just getting used to the fingerings of this instrument. Definitely different from the guitar and drums which I used to play. With regards to the loudness, you are definitely right, what I did is put a bunch of socks or a small towel inside the horn to muffle the sound... I'll take it out after I get better and play some songs....cheers

The Sax is my most admired instrument; the sound awesome. Dont tell others but I also played drums for a while but I have played piano for years, although I have not played for about 3 years now.

Sparrow wrote:

The Sax is my most admired instrument; the sound awesome. Dont tell others but I also played drums for a while but I have played piano for years, although I have not played for about 3 years now.

Even though I don't tell them, don't you think they could read this thread....lol. We can jam sometime (yeah right if we're not in KSA), I miss playing with gals, they give me the motivation I need :D. I have tried playing piano, the mind is willing but my hands doesn't seem to cooperate....lol, they told me that I'm too old to start with piano.

Al Dawliah is the major musical instrument store in town. They have retail outlets at Fasialiah Mall (2nd Flooor), Al Aqariya Mall II on Olaya Road (Ground Floor) and Granada Mall. They used to have a shop in the Shola Mall on King Abdul Aziz Street but I haven't been there in years and would not know if its still operational.

All their outlets have piano, both acoustic and digital,, guitars, wind instruments, drums (acoustic and digital), and sound accessories.

Right now the store at Al Aqariya II is running a sale and all prices have been slashed by about 15-20%. This happens at least thrice every year for various reasons, either for overhauling their stock or on special occasions.

It certainly would be nice to get a small Jazz Band together to play and enjoy some kool stuff from the old days.

I am tempted to buy the drum kit thats going for SR 2,800 (sale price) but dont have a suitable place to keep it for practice since the residence where I currently live in will certainly not tolerate the banging.

And you just cant muffle an acoustic drum sound with cloth ...

Nice name for a Jazz gig would be "XPATZ"

'XPATZ' great idea Musicman...

lets put on yr thinking caps and come up with an idea to set up a music room in one of the compounds where we can come together, practice and play for fun

I actually bought a software program the other day re: music theory. I just have to relearn a few quavers et al and I will be able to read sheet music again.

Jamming on a friday.....sounds soooooo COOL :cool: Dont forget GWTFlow's piano - hope she has been jamming up something.

The Dawliah shop in shola center is still there, I have been there a few weeks ago when I was searching for this horn. I had my eye on a great Yamaha electric/acoustic guitar there, but it was not what I want to buy...lol

XPATZ sounds cool....let's see if this materialize....

Musicman, I saw some electronic drum sets which can be an alternative (not that rockin' though unlike the real thing)

Madam Sparrow, if you finish that software, can I get a free copy...lol, I'm used to reading chords and tablatures, but now I am forced to read G and F cleffs and music sheets, back to square one...cheers.

Am not a gr8 fan of digital drums. Its more like banging on pots and pans. The sound doesnt truly come from your insides. However, I think they are more expensive than acoustic drums?

musicman wrote:

Am not a gr8 fan of digital drums. Its more like banging on pots and pans. The sound doesnt truly come from your insides. However, I think they are more expensive than acoustic drums?

Not really sure, I remember it was about 2-3K but I'll be dropping by Shola center this friday to check on some white gold, I'll pass dawliah, I'll check it out.

great, lets take it from there

musicman wrote:

Mate, I saw this electronic drums in Dawliah Shola Center, Roland is the brand name worth 4200++ SR. And then a few steps more, the Yamaha brand is worth 5100++ but I don't think cymbals are included, you have to buy them separately, I think it's worth 350 including the stand per piece.

Tlked to Hassan Issa, th Administrator of the Safari Resort in Riyadh and suggested to him to set up a music room that will house all available musical instruments so that we could practice, learn, teach, and play as a gig. He was very interested and said he will look into it right away. Its a super place for expat recreation sans most of the prohibitions, away from the madding crowd on the Makkah highway about 30 minutes drive from the city.

musicman wrote:

Tlked to Hassan Issa, th Administrator of the Safari Resort in Riyadh and suggested to him to set up a music room that will house all available musical instruments so that we could practice, learn, teach, and play as a gig. He was very interested and said he will look into it right away. Its a super place for expat recreation sans most of the prohibitions, away from the madding crowd on the Makkah highway about 30 minutes drive from the city.

That's great news.. keep us posted.

Hi,

Dynamo, if you like some lessons for the sax I am in Riyadh now, and brought my soprano with me .. and a couple of score. Just message me.

For the electronic drum set, I have one with me too, A Yamaha DTXpressIV.

NicolasGOD wrote:

Hi,

Dynamo, if you like some lessons for the sax I am in Riyadh now, and brought my soprano with me .. and a couple of score. Just message me.

For the electronic drum set, I have one with me too, A Yamaha DTXpressIV.

Can you recommend a good site for this instrument. I am having a hard time with the blowing techniques and good fingering technique. This is my first wind instrument, so it's totally bizarre for me. And the reed...I have no supply, just one that is included with the horn. That's why I am very careful...lol

Lessons are for free?...just fishing....lol, I like to self study...gives me the opportunity to scold myself for doing a bad job...lol. If I come to a dead end, I'll haller mate. Cheers.

I can give you advices, and learning by yourself will be difficult as they are no real website for this> Sax is mainly breathing technique, fingering is easy to mastering.
I'll send you a message with my contact, if you like to meet, I can help you on this.

I am a total acoustic drum feller since 1960. Never touched an electronic kit in my life yet. but would sure love to try. Any chance of a private gig, sometime?

musicman wrote:

I am a total acoustic drum feller since 1960. Never touched an electronic kit in my life yet. but would sure love to try. Any chance of a private gig, sometime?

You can pass by my place to try it. No probs for this

Thanks Nicolas. Have sent you a PM for the meet up, hopefully.

sir... good day to all of you, i do also want to buy a SAX, where can i buy this instrument in riyadh...

i had read that mr.dynamo, bought one, where did you find this sir and how much?... for me to adjust my allowance... eheheh

same here, i am too much bored, need to play an instrument,
i played FLUTE from before and SAXOPHONE is my dream instrument...

please reply mr.DYNAMO (kabayan!)

thank you and GOD BLESS all...

daxx wrote:

sir... good day to all of you, i do also want to buy a SAX, where can i buy this instrument in riyadh...

i had read that mr.dynamo, bought one, where did you find this sir and how much?... for me to adjust my allowance... eheheh

same here, i am too much bored, need to play an instrument,
i played FLUTE from before and SAXOPHONE is my dream instrument...

please reply mr.DYNAMO (kabayan!)

thank you and GOD BLESS all...

Daxx,

I just stumbled upon this when I was searching for an alto sax...luckily there is this French guy selling his new Yamaha alto sax and I was just at the right time to ask it. Believe me I looked at malls and all I can find were guitars. Good luck to you.

halhusseini wrote:

Hey guys,
i am actually new to this blog, i just registered now when i read this topic, i am thinking of getting an electrical guitar, but i wont do that until i can find an instructor, i have asked around but came up with nothing unfortunately,
can anyone help me out with that? does anyone know an electric guitar instructor?

thanks,

Well , i have been playing  electic guitar for 8  years , in fact i had my own band in UK,if anybody need help then most welcome :)

cheers

Seeing yet, another revived post...
@Dynamo...how is your Sax playing skills now?
I am currently eyeing on playing Bass for now...just looking for some starter amps to get me rollin' :cool:

@musicman - how's the stuff with that safari resort guy? did the music room materialized?
I have an invi to jam with some guys by the weekend...(though i feel not yet ready :S) and they said...it will be on some (band) studio with complete instruments...(I would want to check if this is the same place, just in case).

Popolocroix wrote:

Seeing yet, another revived post...
@Dynamo...how is your Sax playing skills now?
I am currently eyeing on playing Bass for now...just looking for some starter amps to get me rollin' :cool:

@musicman - how's the stuff with that safari resort guy? did the music room materialized?
I have an invi to jam with some guys by the weekend...(though i feel not yet ready :S) and they said...it will be on some (band) studio with complete instruments...(I would want to check if this is the same place, just in case).

My sax is still with me...I play it once in a while, it's a great stress reliever, regarding my skills...still at basic, scales and stuff, songs I know are for begginers(ages 5-10....lol)

:lol: That reminded me of Lisa Simpson (you know! from the cartoons...The Simpsons) ...

Hi! I am planning to buy a Taylor GC3 guitar here in Riyadh but I haven't been to music store yet (actually I knew just one store and that is in Faisaliah Mall). In case you have seen one, I would appreciate it. And does Shola Center sell original items? Thanks in advance!

I have never seen any Taylor guitar here in Riyadh, most of the time it's Yamaha, Squire guitars...imo.

hello dynamo ...

i was just gonna ask , when you bought you'r SAX  from granada mall . do you remember what the brands that they were selling  were ?  i want to buy an accoustic violin but i want to make sure that they sell good brands there