Road Trip from Riyadh to Madina

Dear All,

I hope you all are having good time here.
Coming straight to the subject, I am planning a road trip from Riyadh to Madina, Madina to Mekkah and Mekkah to Riyadh with my family. This is the first time I would be travelling by road in Kingdom so your advice is highly appreciated.

I have a 2013 camry in good condition, (satisfied myself by changing tyre and taking it to showroom for thorough check up).

I would need advice about the route, road condition, safety tips and other suggestions you would like to add.

Please share your recent experience if you have been on this route.

Thank you.

The road quality is perfect. Just stop yourself of a big seduction to over the speed limit. There are speed cameras and a bunch of kamikadze drivers on the road, just be safe.
It's better if you travel on day time, Try to leave Riyadh after Fajr prayer, so you can be in Madina before Maghrib.
There are plenty of gas stations with small marts on the road.
Have a safe drive!

My advice to you, Always stay in the centre lane !! It's safe and you can give easy access to the impatient lot to pass by.

Taseer wrote:

Dear All,

I hope you all are having good time here.
Coming straight to the subject, I am planning a road trip from Riyadh to Madina, Madina to Mekkah and Mekkah to Riyadh with my family. This is the first time I would be travelling by road in Kingdom so your advice is highly appreciated.

I have a 2013 camry in good condition, (satisfied myself by changing tyre and taking it to showroom for thorough check up).

I would need advice about the route, road condition, safety tips and other suggestions you would like to add.

Please share your recent experience if you have been on this route.

Thank you.

The road from Ryd to Madinah is good but once after you pass Qassim / Buraidah you will find very few gas stations for a stretch of 400kms. So I would suggest you fill up the tank in Qassim / Buraidah before you proceed further. The gas stations in this route is not as maintained as Ryd - Makkah route and not frequent as well. The total  travel distance is around 900 kms and speed cameras are abundant until Qassim, after which you may not find a lot. As saimans suggested better to keep on middle lane. Madinah to Jeddah is 450 km or so and also has hidden speed traps . Jeddah to Makkah is only 100kms and speed limit is 120.

Have a safe journey.

Thank you guys. Insha Allah I will update my experience about the route.

i am also leaving tonight, will update you guys later

UmairMansoor wrote:

i am also leaving tonight, will update you guys later

Thank you Umair, I really appreciate this.

It was nice trip Alhamdulillah,
took route 65 straight, road are well maintained,
started at 06:10 a.m in the morning from Riyadh
stopped twice for 15-15 minutes,
Reached Medina about 12:40 pm it was jumma prayer at that time over there,
While coming back must put some protection spray on your car front as there are small dust storms and much air pressure,
well in my case I lost my glasses during wazu in some rest area and it was night low light, So I had to drive v slow back to riyadh, comparing with riyadh - medina roads were not that much good from medina to riyad, and traffic too..
Didnt find any problem with patrol pumps, but kept some in gallon as safety.
Fueled twice, when it reaches half.
take atleast 2 hours slep and rest when you reach Medina and then carry on with your plan.

Note:

0- Dua while going and returning
للهُ أكبَر ، اللهُ أكبَر ، اللهُ أكبَر، سُـبْحانَ الَّذي سَخَّـرَ لَنا هذا وَما كُنّا لَهُ مُقْـرِنين، وَإِنّا إِلى رَبِّنـا لَمُنْقَـلِبون، اللّهُـمَّ إِنّا نَسْـأَلُكَ في سَفَـرِنا هذا البِـرَّ وَالتَّـقْوى، وَمِنَ الْعَمَـلِ ما تَـرْضى، اللّهُـمَّ هَوِّنْ عَلَـينا سَفَرَنا هذا وَاطْوِ عَنّا بُعْـدَه، اللّهُـمَّ أَنْـتَ الصّـاحِبُ في السَّـفَر، وَالْخَلـيفَةُ في الأهـلِ، اللّهُـمَّ إِنّـي أَعـوذُبِكَ مِنْ وَعْـثاءِ السَّـفَر، وَكَآبَةِ الْمَنْـظَر، وَسوءِ الْمُنْـقَلَبِ في المـالِ وَالأَهْـل
Allah is the Most Great. Allah is the Most Great. Allah is the Most Great. Glory is to Him Who has provided this for us though we could never have had it by our efforts. Surely, unto our Lord we are returning. O Allah, we ask You on this our journey for goodness and piety, and for works that are pleasing to You. O Allah, lighten this journey for us and make its distance easy for us. O Allah, You are our Companion on the road and the One in Whose care we leave our family. O Allah, I seek refuge in You from this journey's hardships, and from the wicked sights in store and from finding our family and property in misfortune upon returning.

1- There are some work going on near somewhere in between before buraidah, so whenever you see red blockades slow down.
2- Keep your car in middle lane
3- Try to drive in daytime, its the best time to drive.
4- Somewhere roads are monitored by radar and cameras, keep your speed between 120-130, after buriyadah when you see open road you can drive 160-170 in the daytime (preferred)
5- Don't drive fast more than 120 in the night as you cant see far, I had to apply brake several times due to this
6- Beware from drivers want to take over, let them go and make sure your wheels are balanced and equilibrium is done.
7- If you reach medina during jummah salaat dont try to enter towards road surrounded by Medina as its too congested at that time rather go hotel and take rest so that you could pray in peaceful manner.

HAVE FUN :)

Jazak Allah brother for this detailed information.
I will be leaving this Thursday insha ALLAH.

Guys,

Alhamdulillah I have reached Makkah. Here are key things from my trip so far.

I left for Madina on 6:30 a.m. Uptil Buraida, i found speed cameras almost every 30 km. so my average speed was 120. Road was good and gas stations were here and there. No problem faced.

From Buraida to madina road was quite good. I didnt find any speed camera, i guess they check with radar in this region. However, there wasnt any petrol station until 100km left to Madina and that one was good enough.

I reached Madina by 1:30 including 2 stays of 20 min each during my way. Roads in madina are not in good condition and speed cameras are almost on every road and every signal. Drive safe.

I left from meeqat to Makkah by 8:20 after isha prayer. Since it was night, i decided to go slow to avoid any ticket. I set cruise control at 118kmh and after travelling 1 hour, I got a Flash ! Felt really bad since just a while before flash i checked my speed andit was under 120. Dont know why I still got a flash !

However i then lowered cruise to 113 kmh and then stopped for just 5 minutes at a gas station. Reached Makkah by 12:45 a.m. Overall good trip so far excluding the speed ticket for doing nothing !

Will update about Makkah to Riyadh after experiencing. Thank u all

Alhamdulillah, I reached back home in Riyadh by 10.00 pm. Sunday night.

I started my journey from Makkah to Riyadh at 12.30 pm. Stopped for fueling and some food about 25 km before Taif. The road from Makkah to Taif was good but speeding there is not recommended, I drove at 110-115. I kept on 115 kmh for about 3 hours of my journey, even after getting on straight route 40 ( i intended to avoid any further ticket). However, after 3 hours of drive at 115 kmh, I was feeling tired so decided to speed up. I then drove at 140 for almost an hour until I reached Umm Al Ramth wildlife sanctuary. I stopped there at a gas station, filled up my tank again and offered prayer.

After that, I continued my journey at reasonably good speed and stopped after 2 hours at sasco's place, (the one with Burger king in it). The moment I left this place, I got stuck in a sandstorm, and that was pretty strong one. For most of the time, I was unable to see anything ahead and kept struggling with the speed. After 50 km or so, sandstorm was over and I continued at optimal speed.

I reached home in 10 hours :( but Alhamdulillah safe and sound and without any ticket!

May you all have a safe journey on this route.

Regards,

Some great tips and help here! Thanks for giving all of those details.

When you are planning to start a road trip, there are two tips for you. One, you need to choose a good vehicle, this is the most important thing for road trip. Two, you may want to charge shaver, laptop, phone or camera. Now you need a charger to help you. The charger to me is 400w  power inverter from bestek. Simply connect it with car cigarette lighter charger outlet, then you can charge tools safely. If you want to catch more information about this tool, search bestekmall on Google. Hope these tips are useful to you. Best regards.