Missing Good British Comedy

This morning after reading a few threads, I was suddenly reminded of some of the great British comedy acts that I enjoyed in my younger years. They mostly involved a pair of clowns who together provided some unforgettable moments.

One of my all time favourites is Bottom, where you have two complete losers getting into all kinds of ridiculous situations and making themselves look like a pair of absolute tossers. I actually have their box sets and me and the wife love watching past episodes.

Then there is the predecessor, the Young Ones, some of the earliest modern alternative comedy although it does get a bit dated these days. I must say, I was really sad when Rik Mayall passed away.

And who can forget Morecombe and Wise, two great British comedians singing "Bring me Sunshine" and doing hilarious sketches. Those two always made me laugh.

There were so many, Dick emery, Benny Hill, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and so many others. And that's not even mentioning the funny movies like Guest House Paradiso and the Monty Python ones.

Another favourite was Wurzel Gummage, a country bumkin from the West country with a funny accent. I used to watch that after school but couldn't stop laughing. That actually might have been a children's program but very funny nonetheless.

I also have the full box set of Monty Python's flying Circus but I seldom watch it these days, apart from that sketch from the Ministry of Funny Walks as it is very dated.

For me, British Comedy is and always has been the best and it's great that I can still watch it here in Indonesia.

Then there's The Two Ronnies and Ronnie Barker's Porridge and Open All Hours. As you say, so many more. I've recently been watching the above on YouTube. There's heaps there, Eric Sykes, Kenny Everett, the list is vast.

Geoffwhere wrote:

Then there's The Two Ronnies and Ronnie Barker's Porridge and Open All Hours. As you say, so many more. I've recently been watching the above on YouTube. There's heaps there, Eric Sykes, Kenny Everett, the list is vast.

Agreed.
British comedy is clearly the best in the world, and so much better than the 'forced' humour from so many other places.

Yeah I really liked Porridge too, but I think one of my all time favourites was Only Fools and Horses, "You plonker Rodney"....lol

You can listen to great British comedy through BBC iplayer Radio and it is free and with an awful lot of comedy first being on the Radio before emigrating across to TV it is still just as good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_B … televisionhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/programmes/g … edy/player