Any thoughts about the bombing in Budapest on Saturday night?

Anyone live near the area where the bomb went off Saturday night?
I heard those who were evacuated and didn't have friends or family to stay with overnight had to stay on busses overnight.
I am a bit surprised they couldn't open up a school or other gov. building and give people cots.
No fun to wake up from your warm bed and try to sleep on a bus. I really feel sorry for people with small kids or the elderly having to be put out.
My thoughts go out to the two police officers who were hurt.Thankfully no one else was injured.
Any thoughts on this?

Don't know who did it or what pathetic excuse they used, but I hope the silly sods died in the explosion and everyone else was safe.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Anyone live near the area where the bomb went off Saturday night?
....My thoughts go out to the two police officers who were hurt.Thankfully no one else was injured.
Any thoughts on this?

The Hungarian rumour mill is working overtime on this one.  Only this morning I've heard:

1) Islamic State (really?  not spectacular enough for them)
2) Targeting those specific police officers (why?)
3) Government inspired bomb to force the Oct 2nd anti-migrant referendum their way
4) Government security plot to create harsher crackdowns/laws on everyone.
5) Orban desperation to remain in power (conditions for "martial" law)
6) Random nutter bomber
7) Gas explosion (now excluded as cause)

Whatever nuthead set it off has to be dealt with harshly.
I feel for the everyday person who was put out by one (or more) persons selfish agenda.
I was surprised though to see they don't seem to have a very well thought out emergency response system in place.
Not sure why residents had to spend the night on a bus instead of at least being put up in a convention center or somewhere with cots, showers and bathrooms.
I thought there was a Red Cross sort of system in place here, perhaps there is , they just don't respond very fast.

From what I've read, it seems a young man planted the bomb on the path of 2 police officers.  No motive is as yet understood, but the targets seem obvious enough.

I've heard the argument from some that this was supposed to affect Orban and the Oct. 2nd vote, but it rings hollow to me.  That vote won't be close and needs no further impetus to gain the support of a large majority.  I resign myself to the notion that this is some one-off nutter trying to cause injury and disturbance in order to "make a point" of some kind, regardless of consequences.

May he be tortured before he rots in hell.

I hate to see any sort of violence, no need for it at all.
I will never understand someone who thinks they can hurt and maim for their own agenda.
I hope both officers make a full recovery, both are so young to be scared for life because of a selfish act.
There was a bomb in Budapest many years ago near the McDonald's in the 5th district. My husband and son had just walked past there about 10 mins before hand. Heard to was a mob thing some sort of revenge.
I think bombs are for cowards.

Follow up on this...my employer's risk subscription notice posted today  Note my highlighting...

Also I was just on my MTB near Janos Korhaz and noticed more police hanging around and more routine traffic stops in District II.   I will be at the airport tomorrow so I will see what increased security checks have been put in place there.

Hungary: Expect heightened security, localised disruption following explosion in central Budapest

Level:    Notice   
Category:     Security operation, Explosion   

Last Updated: 26 Sep 2016 11:22 (GMT)

Members in the capital Budapest should continue to expect heightened security around the city centre, after an explosion near Oktogon metro station injured two police officers on 24 September at 22.30 (local time). The blast, confirmed to have been from a homemade explosive device, occurred as two police officers were passing on patrol. The motive for the attack remains unclear and no suspect has yet been apprehended. Travellers should expect heightened security and localised disruption after the government launched a major security operation, strengthened checks at its borders and increased controls at airports.

ADVICE   
•    Normal travel to Hungary can continue.
•    Expect but do not be unduly alarmed by a heightened security presence and operations in the coming days.
•    Carry identification at all times and follow all security force directives.
•    Allow additional time for any travel within and when leaving the country.
•    Monitor our travel security alerts on Hungary for further updates.

Disruption is likely to persist around Oktogon Square in the coming days, as the police continue to investigate the scene. The incident, which occurred on the central Terez korut (Teresa Boulevard), was first believed to have been the result of a gas leak. Later investigations revealed that a homemade explosive device packed with nails had been left in a bag near a shop. Police are currently searching for a man seen on security camera footage.

The police have said the explosion deliberately targeted police officers and are investigating the crime as attempted murder. Despite reports suggesting possible links to terrorism, particularly a week ahead of a nationwide referendum on the country's migration policy and EU quotas for refugees, there is no evidence for this. The risk posed by terrorism in Hungary remains negligible and there are no known domestic terrorist organisations. This incident does not indicate any increased risks to foreign travellers in Hungary.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I hate to see any sort of violence, no need for it at all.
I will never understand someone who thinks they can hurt and maim for their own agenda.
I hope both officers make a full recovery, both are so young to be scared for life because of a selfish act.
There was a bomb in Budapest many years ago near the McDonald's in the 5th district. My husband and son had just walked past there about 10 mins before hand. Heard to was a mob thing some sort of revenge.
I think bombs are for cowards.

My colleague was in the McDs when that bomb went off.  I had just been down there that morning.  I remember that bombing very well.  Some sort of mafia revenge thing.

Two weeks have gone by.

For what it is worth, I have neither read or heard about any arrests from this event.

Did I miss it?

After similar recent events, in Europe and the USA, the perpetrators were tracked down and an arrest, or other action, was taken within this same time period.

Very disturbing that this perpetrator appears to me to be still at large. If so, what does this say about the competence of the Hungarian authorities?

This is the latest I found on the subject. Still at large...
http://hungarytoday.hu/news/walking-bom … iget-96054

Yes, first it was said he was in his 20's and now it is between 40 and 50.
It must be upsetting for those 2 police who were hurt to know this guy is still running around free. It upsets me too.
I hate to say it but if someone is that hateful, we do not need them mixing with society.
I am sure he will be captured sooner or later... hopefully.