Customer care in Switzerland

Hello everyone,

The way customer services are handled can greatly affect your views on certain brands, products, companies or stores. As a consumer, it is important to get familiar with local practices regarding client assistance in Switzerland and try to understand how things work in the country.

How would you describe your customer service experiences in Switzerland?

Do you feel welcome when you enter a store? Do you get useful tips and advice?

Are after-sales services available in Switzerland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

I must say what I admire here in Switzerland when entering a shop as a customer you get greeted
and they always ask if you need any help.   Even if you go to the exclusive boutiques or the big
foodstores you still feel being pampered as a customer.   
I was in Cape Town early this year and often felt that the friendlyless towards being a customer is gone astray,   I am from old school and in the early days in South Africa there was a Good Morning, or Good Afternoon and Thank You.     I was in Woolies to do some shopping and there was no way of
gratitude.   Now here in Switzerland when you go to the Migros for example they greet you at the paying till and say Thank you when you have paid.

Another example here in Switzerland when you enquire about an article they make an effort to see if its possible to get it for you,  whereas in Cape Town  many a times I had the answer Im not sure or I dont have a clue ,  but no effort as to enquire .    Which is rather poor!

I must say I enjoy shopping in Switzerland as I feel I always get my money worth,  and I feel I get taken seriously when I ask a question.  As they say the customer is Queen/ King.

Kind regards
Carrotcake

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : off topic.

It was interesting to read @carrotcake's comment. I couldn't disagree more. I am also old school and from South Africa too!

My experiences here in CH (over 16+ years) have genrally not been very friendly of helpful, but with very occasional really decent, helpful swiss customer service.
I have many examples that I can give...the latest...moved to new area, went hiking in the mountains, stopped at a restaurant up the mountain (off the beaten path), yes we got a gruezi! But it certainly wasn't friendly or welcoming in anyway. We ordered, no smiles, server didn't look happy to be there. Was an extremely 'cold' experience that leaves me wondering what the swiss are thinking. Don't they realise that if you have a good experience you may go back, or recommend to a friend, or that everyone's day would be nicer....and mainly your customers are paying your wages so treat them accordingly. I feel this last point is very much missed in any customer facing situations in CH.
After-sales in CH? I have only experienced 'pay and be on your way' mindset sadly, which seems to me in abunance here.
I had an on-going internet issue with a very large telcoms company. I called & was promptly told my issue was now resolved. When I asked what KEEPS causing the issue he got angry and started rasing his voice at me telling (I told him to stop shouting) it was solved so what is the issue - the issue was and still is am am paying for a tv/phone/internet line that is often down so I have a right to find out what the issue is & to get final resolution! It was an awful experience.

Also, goods are often not priced at all in many shops - then they get the hump with you if you ask about it, there are insufficient consumer rights - e.g. if you buy a product/service and it isn't / doesn't do what you expected, you raise the issue politely, the mentality isn't to try to rectify the situation (as in many countries around the world) for example "ok, can we do this, or offer you that, or give you a discount on next time".

A nationwide initiative is required to educate anyone in a customer facing position - that's the only answer :D

I also have found customer service to be poor here, at least in the Lausanne area. After three years of living in a small suburb I was preparing to move into the city. Needed a microwave so before leaving the next day I bought one and took it home (which was across the street from  where I bought it). Upon opening the box I found the right front corner crushed. The box was in perfect condition so I'm at a loss to figure out how it happened. So, back I went with receipt in hand. The very same person that I bought it from informed me I had to return the following day and speak with a manager. A little trick I learned early on was to speak only in English. For some reason it seemed to fluster sales people in my area. I stuck to the premise that the next day was not going to happen. I wanted another microwave now. Eventually I got my way and went home with another, which upon opening, found it to be damaged as well. Back I went. This time I was accused of damaging it. Still sticking to my guns I demanded another which was brought out. I noticed slight damage to the box and insisted on it being opened. Sure enough. Damaged. Enter smug look on my part and another was brought out and opened. This one was in perfect condition. The best part was I discovered a few days later that the man who sold it to me lived in the building next to the one I had moved into. We've gone from a serious dislike for each other to becoming friends that can laugh over the incident.
I've had other instances where the return of something, even if there was no problem with the item, has been met with severe resistance. From Migros to Obi, Ikea and others it's the same. But the trick of only using English has worked every time. The person I was dealing with eventually caved and took the item back. Grudgingly...but they did.

Interesting enough to see this subject being brought up as I am desperately searching for help on where to raise legal complaints about a company in Zurich.

We moved to Zurich in February 2016 and found a local gym - Labas Results, which was only 2 minutes away from our flat. We were convinced to pay the full year worth of membership fee up front, as they explained that's how most people do business here.

We were happy with the gym despite the fact that the price was a bit steep for a small local gym. Then the big "surprise" came in on a Friday night in August to announce the immediate closure of the place via an email. Subsequently they arranged to get another gym, which is a lot further away from our flat, to take on our memberships for the remaining of the year.

However what upset me the most was that they pushed for a summer promotion sale two weeks before the announcement of liquidation. All personal trainers were instructed to hard sell the packages. I unfortunately fell for the trick as being a new mum and desperately trying to get back in shape. So I paid for 15 sessions, which worth around chf2,000, and haven't had the chance to have even one session. Following the announcement of closure, the company has taken down all means of contact.

Does anyone know if there is any way I can raise legal complaints or try to get my money back? In the UK, I know I can do this through ?Which, which is a consumer protection organisation. Do they have the equivalent organisation in the Switzerland?

Regards,

Cindy