My experience of Working as teacher in Saudi Arabia

I work in a catch 22 environment. I have to follow a set of rules. If I don't I am punished. If I follow the rules and the students complain, I'm told that I am too strict, and I'm punished. It's a perfect Catch 22. I was told by the head of the department to mark students absent for being on their phones in class, or being disruptive. When I do the students leave class and complain about me. I am then told to mark the student present. Every day it's a struggle to find a balance; to keep myself motivated to do just enough to stay out of trouble.
The students can be violent and unpredictable. The department heads who are local or from the west, will not support you. Teach anywhere but here.

...where do you teach? A school in a  big expat compound or a private 'in town' school?

I teach  prep year at a university. Are you in Saudi?

Gain the students trust, get them to like you, use heavy encouragement so they start learning something.  They're quite physically orientated here so get them out of their seats and moving around, using the whiteboards.  Then accept the situation you're in.

Dot the i's and cross the t's on your paperwork and take a more relaxed manner to the classroom.  Image is important.  You can't be seen to lose control of the classroom, yet the management likely know the situation.  It'd be handy if your institution has an open door policy and regular inspections of the classrooms are carried out by your supervisors (any punishments they give out don't have the students hating you.

No point letting your physical and mental health suffer.  Find the students who want to learn and engage them where you can so they don't suffer with what is going on around them.  Follow the hierarchy and understand results may be altered to suit.  Just let someone higher up do it, or order you to do it.  Flexibility is key, but keep onto your self respect and honour.

Yea, thanks I didn't know that. Umm, yea

Beakersful wrote:

Gain the students trust, get them to like you, use heavy encouragement so they start learning something.  They're quite physically orientated here so get them out of their seats and moving around, using the whiteboards.  Then accept the situation you're in.

Dot the i's and cross the t's on your paperwork and take a more relaxed manner to the classroom.  Image is important.  You can't be seen to lose control of the classroom, yet the management likely know the situation.  It'd be handy if your institution has an open door policy and regular inspections of the classrooms are carried out by your supervisors (any punishments they give out don't have the students hating you.

No point letting your physical and mental health suffer.  Find the students who want to learn and engage them where you can so they don't suffer with what is going on around them.  Follow the hierarchy and understand results may be altered to suit.  Just let someone higher up do it, or order you to do it.  Flexibility is key, but keep onto your self respect and honour.

:one:one:one