Security clearance in I.T. sector

Hi,
My husband, kids and myself were granted a PR visa in July2009 with the restriction of working and living in Canberra for 2 years.  We came over to Canberra in Mch/Apr 2010 for a look around and had a great time in a really beautiful and safe city.

My hubby had a couple of interviews but did not get the position he wanted.  We are unable to move permanently until he has a job.  The problem is that he is in the I.T, business and his speciality is in the mainframe side of things.  Most of the jobs offered in this field are governmental and as such he needs a security clearance.  Only citizens may apply for a security clearance so we are in a catch-22 situation at the moment.

We are desperate to move.  Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Many thanks.
Louise

Welcome to the forum louise2,

Yes you are absolutely right, security clearances are normally only granted to Australian citizens whose backgrounds can be checked for the requisite period of 5 years for lower level clearances or at least 10 years for higher level clearances.

May be you shall apply for a permanent residence permit, then apply for the clearance, but am sure this will take a lot of time to process.

I wish you good luck!

Hi Yud,

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

We already have permanent residence visa but still cannot apply for a security clearance.  Unfortunately we don't have enough funds to carry us for 2 years until we can apply for citizenship and then the security clearance.

I was hoping someone else who had moved to Australia and had the same problem may have been able to offer some sort of solution to our catch-22 situation.

Nevertheless, we will get to Canberra but hopefully it is sooner than later.

Take care.

Louise