What are the steps for getting a container?

Looking to bring in a vehicle or two, also some personal belongings to Playa Del Carmen area. Does anyone know how much it costs and any other information? Thanks.

This would be from Ontario, Canada. Hope a few people share their experience and knowledge. Thanks!

banat4 wrote:

Looking to bring in a vehicle or two, also some personal belongings to Playa Del Carmen area. Does anyone know how much it costs and any other information? Thanks.

The car thing can be particularly problematic and expensive. Here is something that might help you with the current laws http://yucalandia.com/2014/09/17/new-ru … to-mexico/

The restrictions on vehicles have become more and more strict each year. The bottom line is they don't want you to import a car so they are going to make it difficult, not impossible maybe but difficult. It is impossible to permanently import a vehicle and get a permanent residency if that's what you are thinking. " all permanent imports at the border have been suspended this past week, and there is no formal word yet on when they will begin again – this time following both US and Mexican laws."

As for personal items, I would keep them specific and minimal. In other words sell the furniture, and bring the important stuff like computers, personal clothing essential supplements , 6 months worth of medications, etc.

They are allowing vehicle imports now but your plan sounds like a nightmare in the works. A friend recently imported a pickup in Nogales and it cost him $3500+

Only one vehicle per person is allowed

Best advice is to sell everything and buy what you need here

Only reason I'm asking about the cars is because one of them has had a lot of work done to it and it would be a waste to just sell it knowing that I'd most likely have to buy some used vehicle there. I guess $3500 is steep but at the same time, the vehicle is sentimental. As for everything else, I doubt I'll be going the container route but rather sell it all and start fresh here with basic necessities, ie. bed, couch etc.

Do you think it's a better route to drive the car into Mexico then instead of the container? That can pose some issues and be time consuming knowing we'll have to stop to spend the night until early sunrise.  Thanks for all your help.

That is what I would do but remember, don't apply for a Permanente Visa because they can't drive a foreign plated car.  With a Temporal you can drive it for 4 years

sparksmex wrote:

That is what I would do but remember, don't apply for a Permanente Visa because they can't drive a foreign plated car.  With a Temporal you can drive it for 4 years

You could also do 180 day Tourist Cards forever if you're close enough to a border.  This info on car permits might help.
https://www.mexicomike.com/livebetter/car_permit.htm

Since you're not going to move a whole household, the only benefit you lose is the ability to have IMSS or Seguro Popular health coverage.

I don't own a car but I have read of people near the Belize and Guatemala borders and Texas and Arizona borders doing it for years.

How much the cost of importing that car is, will depend on the value of that car. I had a very nice, high end car but Mexico can be very hard on cars. Pot holes, and speed bumps are common, occasionally they are marked. I was averaging 2 new tires a year. Weather can be erratic, driving is good but fast, and aggressive. For 4 years I tried to hang on to the car.
I had to drive it out of Mexico every 6 months to renew the import. Ultimately I could not become permanent with a foreign car, and a flash flood had taken out the electrical system on the car so the car had to go. I miss the car, it had a lot of time and money in it but I could not keep it. 
Go ahead and bring your stuff in with the car, if you are not going very far in, it might work out for awhile, but I think you will realize what I have said will be the deciding factor.

They said Playa Del Carmen and that would not work for a drive to the US border. Maybe Belize would work from there

sparksmex wrote:

They said Playa Del Carmen and that would not work for a drive to the US border. Maybe Belize would work from there

It's a 5-6 hour drive to the border or they could weekend in Belize City I suppose (8-9 hours)

Ah yes Playa, I forgot you said that. Is that a fixed destination ?  If so, that makes things more complex.  I have done the Belize border many times and it's an interesting border crossing indeed. I was never quite sure what to expect.
The flash flood taking out my electronics happened in this area of Mexico. Flash floods are common in the states of Campeche, yucatan and potentially the quintana roo states. I say potentially because I saw some very heavy rain and wind in Cancun.

Knowing what I know now, I would have sold my car in the states and bought a car here.  One that would be able to handle the potholes, speed bumps and lots of water. My car was up to it's door in minutes, shorted out and had to be towed. Without the electronics, it didn't lock, so someone took everything they could from the interior. and the custom car jack from the trunk over night. By the time I got the car back to the states to sell, it had lost over half of it's value.

Belize city is not some place I would stay over night with a nice car.   Corozal is much closer, and likely safer. There is a nice hotel by the water there. Tony's Inn & beach Resort.