What Really Grinds your Gears?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XKS3QM1Iy18/maxresdefault.jpg

We all come from different backgrounds and, of course, we all have seen things that shocked and annoyed us.
And trust me, I know how difficult it is trying to blend in. Heck, I grow up in this country and I still can't blend in.

So I figured, why not write a topic to try and find out which behaviors or events drive you crazy? Maybe we can work on it, or maybe we can do it more often to annoy you even more  :gloria
I know this isn't a perfect country, but if we don't fix it, no one will.

So, pals and gals, whenever you see something that makes your veins pop, come here and share it with us. Remember, nothing racial is allowed, and try not to offend the government :D ... I can't get you out of prison.

Let's begin ..
What really grinds my gears is whenever I'm driving and suddenly find myself stuck in a traffic jam for 20 minutes, just to find out that the cause of this jam is a little fender bender .... on the other side of the road!!! Just why?

Oh, and also this

http://www.ergah.com/vb/imgupload/uploads//531e205b12d7e1609756961d00b03bfdjpg

Nope, this is not a scene from Hajj ... Just some people ordering dinner.
Learn to line up people :mad:

This is common for the whole Arabic nation?  :D

I see this in Jordan too.

Primadonna wrote:

This is common for the whole Arabic nation?  :D

I see this in Jordan too.

It's common for MOST of the Arabic nation. But you'll never see this in Lebanon or the UAE or Bahrain (except on weekends when millions of Saudis are there :D)

people reporting me all the time :D

hamudi wrote:

Well, your profile says "feel free to report me" :lol:

Ahmad.Mousa wrote:
hamudi wrote:

Well, your profile says "feel free to report me" :lol:

I had to edit the original post, that's why had to cover up...don't report me.

Idiots, especially lazy idiots.

What is <idiotic question it's really easy to google>.
Sarcasm goes over their moronic heads, so there just isn't a reply to post.

/rant

Fred wrote:

Idiots, especially lazy idiots.

What is <idiotic question it's really easy to google>.
Sarcasm goes over their moronic heads, so there just isn't a reply to post.

/rant

Yes - I hate when people don't get sarcasm **at all**

didn't we already discuss this .... ?

Hypocrisy. Pretending to be something you're not (smugness or forced because of fearing the law). Holier-than-thou attitudes. One rule for the elite, another for the plebs. Going around doing what they want, but commoners will face the full force of the law if they do it. Restricted from saying what's truly on your mind. Personally I find that suffocating.

People who moan but won't life a finger to solve their problems.

Grrrrrrrr, they make me want to vomit.

Politicians who do nothing but create mistrust and hate, doing what they can to start wars.
Have you noticed how they always have a bomb proof bunker to hide in?

When something happens, it's never their fault but always the other.

As long as most of Saudis sees us as unwanted expats and we come from our countries with our wrong ideas and life styles we can't do much.

But anyways...
What Really Grinds My Gears that females can't drive cars here.

For me its the "In Sha Allah", mind me I am not against or would never dare question the faith part in God, but the lack of accountability part is what grinds me. True meaning,In Sha Allah - I would do my best and with the willingness / mercy / acceptance of God - it will be done ...

Here the "I would do my best" got lost and now "God willing" takes precedence. Most cases I am led to believe that God did not will it enough for this to happen for you today, tomorrow, the day after and well into the next week.

Improper and unwanted evoking and promising in Gods names grinds me.  Promise to do something , do it. Or try your best. Dont get God involved in personal inefficiency.

I'm sure they will work on it...Inshallah :D

hamudi wrote:

I'm sure they will work on it...Inshallah :D

:lol::lol::lol:

HRGuru wrote:

For me its the "In Sha Allah", mind me I am not against or would never dare question the faith part in God, but the lack of accountability part is what grinds me. True meaning,In Sha Allah - I would do my best and with the willingness / mercy / acceptance of God - it will be done ...

Here the "I would do my best" got lost and now "God willing" takes precedence. Most cases I am led to believe that God did not will it enough for this to happen for you today, tomorrow, the day after and well into the next week.

Improper and unwanted evoking and promising in Gods names grinds me.  Promise to do something , do it. Or try your best. Dont get God involved in personal inefficiency.

You are right but I translate it into a polite NO as they will not offend you or not to hurt your feelings.
Well, I am hurt as they are not honest with me. Part of culture difference.

Primadonna wrote:
HRGuru wrote:

You are right but I translate it into a polite NO as they will not offend you or not to hurt your feelings.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I have been here  long enough to know when its a polite "no" and when they dont want to "offend" or "hurt my feelings". Even not being honest I can understand and accept even if it might be hard. But saying something and not even in the fairest of chances attempting to do it is what bothers me. Mostly you see such types in offices and to think that they are educated people .......... :o

HRGuru wrote:

Oh no don't get me wrong, I have been here  long enough to know when its a polite "no" and when they dont want to "offend" or "hurt my feelings". Even not being honest I can understand and accept even if it might be hard. But saying something and not even in the fairest of chances attempting to do it is what bothers me. Mostly you see such types in offices and to think that they are educated people .......... :o

Most of these guys work in the public sector, where you see Wasta (nepotism) at it's finest :D. Most of them don't even know what their jobs are, and the ones who actually do, usually procrastinate or find someone to dumb their work on. The absence of work ethics and conduct is beyond my control, but inshallah :lol: this situation won't last too long.

HRGuru wrote:
Primadonna wrote:
HRGuru wrote:

You get my drift  ;)

HRGuru wrote:

This! Bravo!!! Hate it too...

At the other hand: if you say it, they accept it too... more easier than if you explain why you won't/don't want something.

I think In sha Allah grinds a lot of people apparently  :D

HRGuru wrote:

It's a very commonly misused/abused term when they really mean they don't care or are too lazy.

Will you buy your mum a gift on mothers' day? - “Insha Allah" (If I don't forget).
Will you be able to process the paperwork? - “Insha Allah" (If I can be bothered to do it/when you pay the bribe)

and so on.

Does it grind my gears? Big style.

Fred wrote:
HRGuru wrote:

It's a very commonly misused/abused term when they really mean they don't care or are too lazy.

Will you buy your mum a gift on mothers' day? - “Insha Allah" (If I don't forget).
Will you be able to process the paperwork? - “Insha Allah" (If I can be bothered to do it/when you pay the bribe)

and so on.

Does it grind my gears? Big style.

Do you come over for a visit? Insha'Allah. (no, I don't like you)
I really need it tomorrow! Insha'Allah, ( I don't care)

:D:D:D  I see In Sha Allah is gaining momentum here, did I struck a cord some where ??

@primadonna : I doubt if they accept it from us at times

@fred; does Indonesians have something similar ?

HRGuru wrote:

It's not a Saudi or a national issue. It's a Muslim issue unfortunately. Anywhere you go, Muslim or non-Muslim country, this is what you will come across. The overused fake-inshallah. I guess there is a few possible reasons for this:

- We are taught to help, and support one another. That we are one Ummah. One community. So it's quite difficult to speak what's on your mind, and tell them exactly what you think about their request - piss off, not gonna happen. Not very ummah-like or the way to treat a brother/sister is it. Instead we pretend we are helpful and will do it. In other words - being polite, and playing our part. I still think telling them to piss off is the polite way. You're giving them the truth, and saving them time. Instead of lying to them (fake-inshala), hoping they don't notice, and wasting their time. That is not my idea of being polite.

- Because we are supposedly 'brothers' & 'sisters', they think this gives them flexibility in doing what was asked, or forgiven if it's not done. So they are happy to say 'inshalah' (fake as usual) that it will be done, because they don't think they will face pressure to do it on time, or consequences if it's not done. If faced with pressure, you can once again say inshalah it will be done.. With non-Muslims, you're not talking to a 'brother' or 'sister', so things are more formal. So we give them frank answers. If we don't intend to do it, we tell them that. We don't normally say god-willing we will do it or anything like that.

- There seems to be this idea that you can get away with lying to a Muslim by use of another fake. Another reason why the fake-inshala is used. You can simply hide behind - 'Qadr'Allah, I forgot about it' if asked if it was done. One fake is enough to grind anyone's gears. Imagine two.

HRGuru wrote:

:D:D:D  I see In Sha Allah is gaining momentum here, did I struck a cord some where ??

In a large way, and it really bugs me.

XB23 wrote:
HRGuru wrote:

It's not a Saudi or a national issue. It's a Muslim issue unfortunately. Anywhere you go, Muslim or non-Muslim country, this is what you will come across. The overused fake-inshallah. I guess there is a few possible reasons for this:

- We are taught to help, and support one another. That we are one Ummah. One community. So it's quite difficult to speak what's on your mind, and tell them exactly what you think about their request - piss off, not gonna happen. Not very ummah-like or the way to treat a brother/sister is it. Instead we pretend we are helpful and will do it. In other words - being polite, and playing our part. I still think telling them to piss off is the polite way. You're giving them the truth, and saving them time. Instead of lying to them (fake-inshala), hoping they don't notice, and wasting their time. That is not my idea of being polite.

- Because we are supposedly 'brothers' & 'sisters', they think this gives them flexibility in doing what was asked, or forgiven if it's not done. So they are happy to say 'inshalah' (fake as usual) that it will be done, because they don't think they will face pressure to do it on time, or consequences if it's not done. If faced with pressure, you can once again say inshalah it will be done.. With non-Muslims, you're not talking to a 'brother' or 'sister', so things are more formal. So we give them frank answers. If we don't intend to do it, we tell them that. We don't normally say god-willing we will do it or anything like that.

- There seems to be this idea that you can get away with lying to a Muslim by use of another fake. Another reason why the fake-inshala is used. You can simply hide behind - 'Qadr'Allah, I forgot about it' if asked if it was done. One fake is enough to grind anyone's gears. Imagine two.

Excellent post!

So today my wife I went to a super market. We were lucky enough to find a spot right in front of the entrance, so I parked my car there. At that time, the parking lot was almost completely empty, but if you park your car there, you'll have to walk for a whole freaking minute - I guess that's how some people see it.
We went in, got what we wanted, then got out. Surprise, Surprise! another car was blocking mine. To be honest, that was very expected; it happens to me every time I find a good parking spot. Those dumb douchebags think they can do whatever they want and there's no harm if the made you wait a little.
I waited a little, the car owner didn't show up so I went back to the super market and told the guy at the customer service to call up the car owner, and he did over 5 time but the guy never showed up.
My wife and I waited in the car. After over 30 minutes, the douchebag and his family show up pushing 2 carts full of items, and he says "I though I heard the guy on the mic mention my car but I wasn't sure. Sorry, I didn't think you'd leave so early!"

Thank god I didn't own a gun because he would've had 2 more holes in his butt.

Blatant lies or White Lies or small lies or big lies or any form of lies really grind my gears !! And the fun part is, its taken very casually :)

Inshallah it will overcome too !!

Ahmad.Mousa wrote:

So today my wife I went to a super market. We were lucky enough to find a spot right in front of the entrance, so I parked my car there. At that time, the parking lot was almost completely empty, but if you park your car there, you'll have to walk for a whole freaking minute - I guess that's how some people see it.
We went in, got what we wanted, then got out. Surprise, Surprise! another car was blocking mine. To be honest, that was very expected; it happens to me every time I find a good parking spot. Those dumb douchebags think they can do whatever they want and there's no harm if the made you wait a little.
I waited a little, the car owner didn't show up so I went back to the super market and told the guy at the customer service to call up the car owner, and he did over 5 time but the guy never showed up.
My wife and I waited in the car. After over 30 minutes, the douchebag and his family show up pushing 2 carts full of items, and he says "I though I heard the guy on the mic mention my car but I wasn't sure. Sorry, I didn't think you'd leave so early!"

Thank god I didn't own a gun because he would've had 2 more holes in his butt.

I think the word for this "Ma'alish" and In sha Allah we will overcome that too  :D:D