I have met someone special in Holland

Hi,
I am from South Africa. I have read alot of blogs and it is very helpful.
The thing is, i have met someone special in Holland, i have never visited there but he and i want to be together. I am not highly qualified for any specific work but i have been working in accounts as a creditors clerk for a decade now and before that cash book clerk, debtors, office clerk. The reason i mention this is to get some insight. I dont want him to support me, but what we have read about, say he must be able to provide for me, but why can i not just apply for a job there? And support myself? I have so many questions, is there anyone who can give me some answers please? When reading everything online, on the website for immigration, it seems there are a lot of technicalities.

Please help if anyone knows what the exact procedure is, i have not yet applied for any visa or looked for any kind of work.

Much appreciated and good to know i am not the only South African

Is there anyone online that can help me with some tips to find work please? If i want to be a volunteer, will that make it possible for me to immigrate to Holland? Volunteering could be an option now if it is possible, am i correct?

Hi Elliebelle,

Find out all you need to know to relocate and live in the Netherlands with the expat guide : Living in the Netherlands guide :)

We will invite you to check out the discussion on the Information on visas in the Netherlands please as it might be interesting for you :)

Wishing you best of luck with everything !

Thank you

Maximilien

The first thing you have to do is apply for a MVV before you leave South Africa and this can take up to six months to get. You cannot work in the Netherlands without. If you are lucky enough to find a job that cannot be done by a Dutch national then the company that employs you will apply for your MVV. One of the things  I have found is that a lot of the jobs here require you to speak Dutch.
I have noticed from a number of posts on here that many South Africans think they can come to the Netherlands on a 90 day short-term visa and look for a job while they are here. There is nothing wrong with that, but companies cannot employ you without a work permit.
There is also an arrangement  between South Africa and the Netherlands which means you can stay here for 90 days without a visa, but you have to leave at the end of the 90 days. You will get a stamp in your passport to that effect. As I also understand it you will have to prove you have enough money to support yourself for the 90 days (currently EUR 34 a day) and evidence of where you will be staying during the period, You may also need a letter from the person you are staying with, but I am not sure about that one.

I have a friend whose grandparents were Dutch and she was able to a get a Dutch passport.

Its worth a phone call to vfs to find out  more about staying in a Shenghen country. This link should help:
http://www.vfsglobal.com/dha/southafrica/

Good Luck.

Hi there,

I am also a South African living in joburg in the process of joining my Dutch partner in the Netherlands. It's important to note that you are required to write a ducth civil integration exam before they grant you a MVV

I'm due to write my exam at the end of Novemmber, quite scary as dutch is difficult language.

Feel free to get in touch if you need more information