Living in Netherlands but working in Germany (as EU citizen)

Hi All,

I have a little bit of complex - at least for me - topic. I am an EU citizen currently registered in Germany (not far from the Dutch border) and working here as well. I plan to move to the Netherlands and register there but still work for my current employer in Germany. I would commute there daily...or maybe 3 times a week...now after corona times employers don't mind working from home. As far as I know - I might be wrong - Germany and the Netherlands have a special and quite new treaty regarding this matter, but not certain about details. Questions I have:

- Where would I be paying taxes, how does taxation work in this case? As I understand it would be still Germany as I work here.
- If Germany then what determines it? The place of work, the amount of time I cross the border (the half a year +1 day rule)?
- How would Dutch health insurance work? Do I still pay for it there as well? The obligatory one that cost approx. 100-120 EUR per month.
- Can my German employer have an issue with it (not related to work performance but maybe due to German regulations)? I do not think so as EU's freedom of movement (and work) directive allows it and i would go to the office as often as needed.

I hope there might be someone facing the same, thought I ask. Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

This link may help answer your questions.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Did you resolve this topic? I am currently in a very similar situation and I don't think the link posted here is really answering the question properly.

Notwithstanding their appears to have been state level discussions regarding this, to try and give you a steer:

Where would I be paying taxes - you pay taxes depending on where you are deemed as being resident, not where you work.

For the first year, it's normally settled as to where you lived for more than 183 days in the tax year, after which it's as above.  I would strongly advise you to speak to a German tax adviser on this matter.

Health Insurance - If you are working for a Dutch company, you will be paid in the Netherlands and the ordinary costs would be deducted from your salary; any extraordinary costs (extras you may opt into) would be paid by you from your Dutch bank account.

Your employer may well have legitimate interests in where you live.  There are national laws about Employment, Health & Safety in the work place, holidays etc.  The Dutch also have CAO agreements for specific workgroups.  I strongly recommend you discuss this with your employer.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team