Rizana may have to die

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … -maid.html

The imminent execution of a teenage maid in Saudi Arabia drew fierce criticism yesterday and provoked condemnation of the kingdom's prolific use of capital punishment.

The case has brought fresh attention to the draconian Saudi criminal justice system which is expected this year to set a new record in its use of the death sentence.

Tekegraph Mon Oct 25 2010

I was going to comment on the quoted article untill this caught my attention:

Nafeek, who had been denied a lawyer at her trial, is one of 5.6 million foreign workers who live in Saudi Arabia. The vast majority are domestic workers such as Nafeek, employed to look after the homes of oil-rich families.

By Tim Butcher, Middle East Correspondent
Published: 12:01AM BST 16 Jul 2007

So the majority work for "oil rich families"? I wonder if Mr. Butcher, Middle East Correspondent ever visited KSA or even the middle east! Taking into consideration how unreliable his info seems to be, I'm going to reserve my comments on the case...

I know the case very well cos Ive seen the documentation at the Sri Lanka Embassy and have discussed the matter with the former Ambassador during his tenure when the charges were made.

The maid was a teen when she was hired and the contract stipulated  domestic work only. Not taking care of an infant. She was a kid herself at that time. The mother of the child wanted to work so they entrusted the baby to the maid. While feeding the baby was choked and died.

The cops forced the girl to confess that she killed the baby. The translator at that time has gone missing since then and cannot be located. She was only one week in the Kingdom.

Now they want to chop her head off cos of the parents own negligence in pursuit of more income for the family.

All the human rights organizations across the globe have sought her release. When will they ever listen?

I rest my case.

Tue Oct 26 2010 - Daily Mirror

President Mahinda Rajapaksa of Sri Lanka dispatched a letter early this morning requesting clemency from the Saudi Arabian Government for Sri Lankan housemaid Rizana Nafeek, the President's Office told Daily Mirror.

Rizana was sentenced to death for the murder of an infant in Saudi Arabia.

The  Lankan government has taken up the matter of the Rizana Nafeek to a diplomatic level after the Supreme Court in Riyadh endorsed the death sentence given to the teenage maid.

The teenage Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek was Indicted and found guilty of alleged death of an infant while bottle feeding in 2005.

http://www.ahrchk.net/ua/mainfile.php/2010/3589/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q3HXmTBig4http://www.srilankaguardian.org/2010/10 … izana.html

The silence from all the major contributors on this site regarding this case, speaks volumes about life for foreigners in KSA, or at least thats how it looks from here.

Fear of fear is the worst ever situation to be in, Dubliner, Exbois

Dubliner1967 wrote:

The silence from all the major contributors on this site regarding this case, speaks volumes about life for foreigners in KSA, or at least thats how it looks from here.

What do you think needs to be said?

the news is everywhere, many if not all have already heard of this issue. this thread is only bringing up updates. not asking us to comment. we as expats have no say here. at least she has her country's officials backing her up. in my case my embassy wouldn't raise an eyebrow let along have our president request something.

and as an individual. I don't know whether she did something like that or she didn't. and I am not saying either. not only in Saudi but every where in the world. even the most advanced criminal laws can have goof ups. not that the law here can be compared to that. for example there isHomaidan Alturki.

in on many occasions some housemaids commit unspeakable crimes against their hosts. whether out of the mental pressures from her job or back home or just a way to make quick cash.

please prove me wrong. I am not saying that Rizana has commited a crime. and I am not to say that she didn't.

perhaps everyone has their own ideas. just saying.

Salman.

Gist is.. what do you want us to say?