TQ Pearson Advice

Hi,

I was offered a job with TQ Pearson, Buraydah in August where I was expected to start in early November (2014).  I handed in my resignation with my then current employer and fulfilled my notice period.  Suddenly out of the blue, on a Friday night (8.30pm) TQ Pearson sent me an email letting me know that they could not honor my contract.  No specific reason was given, just 'Force Majeure'.  Obviously the email was timed deliberately as it was the weekend so I could get no closure (and they could avoid the fallback).

I tried several times to get in touch with them over the coming weeks to find out what happened.  It appears that they did not get enough student numbers - hence the need to 'restructure'.  I explained to them that I have resigned from a very well paid job, I have a family to support and this leaves me in a dire situation.  Had they even hinted that this was a possibility (they were aware of the situation well before the email) I could have withdrawn my resignation.

It has since come to light that TQ is an unethical organisation to work for.  They treat staff appallingly.  Several members of staff have been let go with little or no notice.

Can anyone shed more light on what is happening there?  And if they have sought compensation.

I have contacted a solicitor and he said that three months salary as compensation is wholly reasonable.  I have yet to proceed.  If there are any others would like to join me in seeking compensation please let me know.

Some good information regarding TQ:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388621

sorry about your loss, however, I highly doubt you will have compensation. My best advice is to start applying elsewhere. There are plenty of available teaching jobs in the kingdom.

Hi,

I am currently lecturing in the UK.  I have had some other offers in the Kingdom - my experience with TQ has made me a little cynical and paranoid though!

pretty sure your move was based on a little more than money. That's just an "educated conclusion" from my side, since you already have money in the UK - then, if its Islam driving you, one bad experience shall not halt your pursuit.

Hello Yousuf.

I wish you had read loads of complains and dissatisfied teachers comments on the Saudi EB before relying on TQ Pearson's job offer.

I agree with what rareshine has suggested. you must continue looking for another employer in a large city of KSA and forget about claiming damages from TQ Pearson. I appreciate that you want to protest against injustice but please try to understand that the legal cost, time and energy of taking up a lawsuit would exceed the compensation you will ever get. Saudi Arabia has a lot to offer to expats, don't let one nasty experience spoil your positive state of mind. :)

Appreciate the advice rareshine & riazcdki.  I have decided to draw a line under the TQ fiasco and move on.  I will consider the big cities, especially Jeddah (I want to be close to the Haram).

It was disappointing (and unexpected) for them to withdraw the contract.  Their behaviour was (and still is) completely unacceptable.  I was so motivated to move to the KSA that I ignored some of the negative comments!

Qadr Allah!

You live and learn.

5 Facts About Pearson TQ You Probably Didn't Know 

Fact 1. Pearson TQ discriminates based on nationality.  Teachers' salaries are determined upon passports. 
Fact 2. Pearson TQ discriminates based on race.  White Eastern European teachers are given the same salary as British and Americans, because they look like Native English speakers.
Fact 3. Pearson TQ harbors sexual harassment.  A young male co-worker was sexually harassed by older male employees, even threatening rape in a letter.  Pearson TQ did it best to dismiss the whole incident as "joking."
Fact 4.  You will hear the word "nigger" daily working for Pearson TQ.  It is a commonly used word in Saudi Arabia, however Pearson TQ has no policy or reprimand for use of the word, it is just part of the Pearson TQ culture. 
Fact 5.  Pearson TQ is an unstable work environment.  They have constant changes in management and staff, as I write this letter 5 out of 6 of the xpat staff has officially resigned at my project, including the manager.

@americaneslteacher- I don't know about the fact 3,4 &5 you have mentioned, but fact 1&2 are everywhere in the Middle East !! And many things are decided and depends on the color of the passport you are holding.

Don't be sad, TQ's contract Has been withdrawn for failure to deliver and excessive student complaints. Count it as a good thing that you are not among those who are now blamed for the closure of those colleges. TQ's final day in Saudi Arabia is June 30, 2015.

Wow.  I was fast getting the impression that TQ was an immensely badly run organisation... Is this unique to TQ or is it most Colleges of Excellence in the KSA? I am still looking at other potential colleges,  but it appears to be a common pattern.

It's hard to say if this is a common issue, however, I am sure this created a Hugh concern among the other colleges not to be the next institution to get the boot.