Crossing the border in my car

What are the challenges to crossing the border, and where is the safest place to do it.  I want to get to San Miguel de Allende.  Previously I have flown there.  What about a woman alone on the road?  Danger?

I would not drive in Mexico.....and definitely not as a woman alone traveling from one place to another.  .

Rolling stops, running red lights etc....common.  I have a taxi driver (paid monthly) on a retainer. 

I would get to my destination by public transport (Place!) and find a driver.
You can drive around most cities (out of their bad areas) alone but I wouldnt not drive alone on a highway going from city to city.  I have native Mexican female friends who will drive alone from Playas to Rosarito but NOT from Rosarito to Ensenada for example.

Why would you want to do that?   What if you had car trouble?

I drove from Winnipeg to Merida Yucatan .It took 6 days,3 days driving thru Mexico.Best time to cross the border is early morning,you have to get your visa for your self and the vehicle ,about 3000 pesos for the car ,for 6 months.It takes about 30mins.Drive during the day time ,its not advisable to drive at night because of animals and bad drivers and also you dont know the road.Keep to the toll roads or cuotas ,they are less busy and most of them have free breakdown services and you can always call the police to help you so brush up on the spanish.Take your vehicle to your local garage and tell them you are going on a long trip and want it checked out .Get your your tyres checked too for correct psi including spare,take a full gas canister with you just in case you run short.Stay in good hotels with security like Holiday Inn.

You must have meant $300 dollars U.S., I wish it was pesos, but I have crossed several times and it has been U.S. and $300. I cross in Arizona at Nogales, which is one of the safest crossings. Texas has the worst crossings. The  visas are from $30 to $50 a piece.

Do not drive at night for many reasons. There are people walking on the road at night , little to no light, numerous pot holes and speed bumps, and your chances of getting help is far less.

The driving is actually quite good, but with little margin for error, slightly aggressive but tolerant and fast. so be well rested and alert.  Don't plan on driving for more than 4-5 hours. Figure the driving time from hotel to hotel then figure in another 1-1&1/2 hours for problems and stops.. Use the cuota roads because the toll you pay covers road problems you might encounter like flats and they are generally in better repair..
Knowing the rules of the road and some Spanish is a definite help. The rules are similar to the U.S. but not the same. For instance a left turn signal may mean pass, or they are going to pass, or of course they are turning left. Stop signs are semi advisory you should be stopping here if there is traffic not rigidly inforced. traffic going one direction has the right of way usually north to south.  There are many round about's or(circulos) wait for an opening and enter the people in the circle have the right away.I have seen no one run a red light like they do in the U.S.

A women alone is as safe or safe than traveling in the U.S.

After 9 years in Baja Norte, rolling stops if at all and running red lights happen all the tiime. I have consistently seen one or two incidents daily.
Just be extra alert for those.

The border towns are likely more Americanized which would explain running red lights.  further south of the border that would be quite unusual. Taxi's would be the most likely to do this if they can get away with it. They are a whole separate group who are focused on speed, and cutting corners, in every country.
The rolling stops are just part of the unwritten rules. In over two years of driving border to border and town to town I have seen one accident ,a taxi. I also don't see major back ups when there is a stalled car. There are no sight seers on the other side stopping to look, backing up traffic for miles on both sides of the road.
But there are emergency phones on most cuotas usually every 500 meters, where you can call for help and someone will come help you .There are also side roads (libre roads) where someone might help you with that flat also. I had flats on cuotas and libre roads and got help. The speed bumps (topies) and pot holes (baches) are often not marked at all and they can be very substantial, doing significant tire damage so keep a sharp eye out for them and the few road signs that indicate them.
There are a lot of (motos) or motorcycles that cut in to where ever they can, and may come up on either side so don't forget to be watching out for them at all times. It's just fast paced and requires your full attention or you will be in trouble.

Another thing not mentioned is that you need Mexican insurance for that car. It's pretty reasonable, $280.00 U.S. for 6 months. If you are not going that far into mexico you may not need a permit for that car. People go back and forth between the states and Baja and Sonora which is a free zone. Beyond that requires the permit. The money paid for the permit will be refunded to you when you check with the aduana when leaving the country..

What am I going to do with my car in the States?  I have a place to keep it when I come to Mexico, and thought that the border crossing would be easier for my dog than an airplane ride.

100s of people cross into Mexico everyday in cars ,trucks and RVs.There is a Facebook group that can give you lots of good info called On The In Mexico.I joined it and when I travelled to Yucatan I was able (thru this group) to meet up with other travellers going to Belize so we drove in a "convoy".Oh yeah I forgot to mention the mexico vehicle insurance ,you can get it at the border or buy online.

Thanks Neil, but  On The In Mexico does not come up with anything on search.  Spelling error?

Try Yucatan living they have a lot of resources. yucatanliving.com/category/yucatan-survivor.

Oops sorry,its On the Road in Mexico
facebook.com/groups/167187996679894/?fref=nf

We drive from Vermont in November, and crossed the border at Laredo, driving to San Miguel where we're staying for 5 months.  The crossing was very easy, the drive was long, but safe.  They will wave you through the border crossing(use the nothing to declare lane), but make sure you drive to the building in Nuevo Laredo where you get your paperwork for yourself and your car.  It will take about an hour, and if you don't do it they will turn you back at the second checkpoint, about 20 miles in.  The drive takes about 12 hours, so I'd break it up into 2 days .

Doing the drive from Detroit to SMA in January.  I have talked to many people that have done it without issue.  All seem to agree about a morning crossing. Going through Laredo, after a stop in Austin.
Driving a truck pulling a trailer.  Hoping to do the Mexico part in one day.

Nice advice ;=)

Fred... are you saying from the border to SMA. If so you had better check Google maps for time and distance. I know it's 10 hours at least in a car. That does not include eating or gas.

Other things to know: the border crossing is longer for trailers because they usually go through them. The driving is not the same as in the U.S. The road rules and laws are not the same as the U.S. There are numerous potholes, and speed bumps on many roads. You should drive the cota roads which are toll roads they are safer and better maintained. Never drive at night for numerous reasons. The road signs are for the most part not like in the U.S. and it's not hard at all to get lost. Do you speak Spanish ?

Okay, what permit for a vehicle are you referring to?

I plan to use the cotas, we have 3 drivers.  My spanish is poor, but I read it OK.  I have driven from PV to Guad. a couple of times, I have also driven from Leon to SMA and back without getting lost. 
I am thinking if I hit the border at about 5am I should be able to do it.
If I can reach Leon by dusk I will be fine as I have already done that route in the dark, last Feb.

IHateSnow wrote:

Okay, what permit for a vehicle are you referring to?

The permit you need to buy when bringing your vehicle into Mexico,costs about 3000 pesos,its for 6 months.I think you can get some kind of refund when you re-enter the US.

I have read that you can get that permit online, has anyone done this?

Fred_C wrote:

I have read that you can get that permit online, has anyone done this?

Yes I think you can,I paid for mine at the border ,same building where I got the 6 month tourist visa,only takes about 30mins
http://www.mexadventure.com/MexicoTrave … Permit.cfm
This link gives you all the info you need and also has a link for to apply online near top of page "banjercito",good luck

Hi I hatesnow,

If you plan on not going beyond a border state like Sonoma or Baja then you will not need a car sticker permit. Everywhere else requires a sticker. You pay a fee they give you a sticker and when you leave the country (on time) they return the money you paid. I say on time because if you over stay your visa that money is forfeit.The cost is based on the value of the car, in my case that was $300 U.S..

Some people just don't say they are going to SMA  or some other in land city  That is a big risk to take because there are plenty of city, state, and federal police to catch you driving without the required permit. Totally disregarding their laws would be a big issue.

If your dog is small and its carrier can fit under the seat, pay the $75.00 and take him on the plane! It has worked the best for us. If it is a big dog, I have friends who did the crate thing on the plane. They medicated the dog and they said it worked out just fine. He was good to go when they landed, BUT they had a bit more hassle getting though customs, and I'm not sure why.

Thank you, that was helpful.