Travel from Alkhobar to bahrain

Hi,

How long does it takes to travel from Alkhobar to Bahrain. I am now studying the options to move to Saudi. I am thinking to reside at Bahrain with my wife and daughter (6 months old). Pls let me know the following:

1. How long does it takes to travel from Alkhobar to Bahrain?
2. How much is the causeway fee?
3. Can i ask my company to bear those expenses?
4. What visas are required to stay in Saudi and Bahrain? I know some thing about Saudi iqama and Bahrain residence visa? Which leads us to a comfortable life in Bahrain?

Please give me your answers at the earliest. Thanks

Hello,

There are many who live in Bahrain and commute over the Causeway to Saudi.  In answer to your questions:
1) The length of time is variable depending on the number of people traveling at the same time as you, and where you live and work.  My husband lives near the British School and his morning commute tends to be about 45 minutes, the return home can be MUCH longer!  There is an app that you can download which apparently shows the realtime waiting time!
2)  Costs - I don't know, but this link may assist (it is the official site!) http://kfca.com.sa/en/#/home/
3)  You could raise the subject, but be prepared to cover this yourself since the choice to live in Bahrain and commute is yours!
4)  I know that in my husbands case he had to go into Saudi initially and get an iquama, then get a multi entry exit visa (Note that once he had got his iquama he HAD to get a Saudi driving license - it is the law).  He then got a Bahrain CPR (paper version only given to iquama holders!), and now also has a Bahrain driving license.

Hope this helps and I am sure that there will be others who can add to this!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I did refer the link you provided but it says 20SAR per trip. This fee is collected at the Saudi toll, how about bahrain toll? I need to calculate the total cost and see if it worth it..... or might as well stay in Alkhobar.

Also do we have any passes available which we can take and go?

My husband has had his Iqama for 2 years and doesn't have a Saudi licence. It is ONLY law if you are driving a saudi vehicle.

You don't need an Iqama, you can travel on a business man's visa to and from Saudi.
You need a multi entry/exit visa and so does your car if it's a Saudi one. We find it much easier to get our car in Bahrain, have a NOC and get the insurance at the border.
Toll fee's are BD2 each way.
Either get a causeway book or paperclip 2 pages of your passport together to stop them stamping everywhere and using your passport up.

Average time is 45mins to an hour - payday and Thurs allow a good 2 or 3 hours

You can ask your company to bear the expenses but they will probably say it's your choice to move so get over it and pay for it yourself.

You don't need the paper Bahrain CPR, it is useless. You can get a lease, rent a car and do everything else without it.

You haven't said if you have a family, school kids etc. Because things change if you do.

Wife will have to have iqama and so will the kids.
Your company will have to allow you all to live in Bahrain and fill in the documents
Your wife will have to get her CPR and then the kids
Kids can go to school without a CPR but they can't take their final exams without one

It is a very long process!!!

Hi Jos

Thanks for your feedback.

I am married and have one daughter (6 months old). My company might allow me to stay in Bahrain and work... there are people to support me i guess.
But i am just in my career (say 7 years work exp)

Now having said that, i have a question, can i first ask my company to apply for Bahrain resident visa and then work visa in Saudi or how does that work? in case if i had to sit in the negotiiation table then i should be able to clearly present it.

Seek your advise.
Also please let me know where i can enquire about my salary and package matters?

Can you elaborate me on the expat package? What i can expect?

7 years is good experience in a career and not new by any means.

You can't have residency in 2 countries here. If you have Iqama then you can only have paper CPR which states you as not working, rather then the full card CPR. As I said earlier, this is worth nothing to you. As your daughter is so young it's not an issue for schooling.

If you family have Iqama's then they can just travel with you to Saudi when necessary to renew their Bahrain visit visa, but if they have multi entry/exit visa's then it is better and they just go to Saudi once a month.

LMRA website has all the laws for employment, more so for Bahrain than Saudi though. Read through your contract and maybe post on the Saudi forum for more information.

Josnuggles - that is not correct.

It has nothing to do with where the car comes from.  You are supposed to get a Saudi licence within 3 months of getting your Iqama.

This is the advice from the Foreign Office and various other sources -
Driving licenses
Males can drive a car in Saudi Arabia using a fully valid British license, for up to three months of the date that you entered Saudi Arabia. After the initial three months, you will need to obtain a Saudi driving license. Your sponsor will be able to assist you in obtaining this license. It is mandatory to carry your driving license and vehicle ownership papers at all times when driving. Heavy fines are imposed if you are caught without the correct paperwork.

It is actually really easy to get the licence.

Well Dave has been there 2 years and he hasn't a Bahrain licence or a Saudi licence. When he enquired in to it they said it was only necessary if his car had KSA plates which his hasn't.

Thank you all for providing the information.

Where can i get details on enquiry of my salary package? Expat benefits and other query?