In a car accident -

Hi, I wonder whether any one who has been in this situation can offer their advice please?

I was in a car accident a few days back. I was stationary at the traffic lights when this large lorry (one that transports large goods) hit my car at the back. Not sure what he was thinking given the lights were red and cars were stationary! When i got out of my car and went to inspect the damage, he decided to reverse his truck. Not sure why he done that but i can guess he was trying to cover his fault? When i told him to get out of the truck and questioned him, he spoke little English and didn't respond well. At this point i phoned the traffic police who advised me to go the nearest Traffic police station. My car was dented at back, while he's truck showed no signs of damage! This was really annoying! Note, both parties have to got to the same traffic police station. I also gave the traffic police my details and the truck registration, they took his name and number too.

Upon arrival at the traffic police station, it seems the truck driver delayed and took almost 1 hour to arrive there. I had to phone the traffic police 3 times just to get this truck driver down to the station!

When he finally arrived, the traffic police took both of our details to compile a report (This report is also needed by the insurance companies).  The police attended to both our vehicles and inspected the damage on my car then went to the truck and inspected his truck. Incidentally the whole police report was in Arabic! You get a pink form (receipt for payment of police report) and i got a green form with the police report. I cant remember what color the other party got. I did ask the police before i left, who's fault it was? They said the fault was that of the truck driver. I still got the green form translated by a work colleague who verified the other party was at fault and where the damage was exactly on my car.

I took the green form to my insurance company and they kept it, inspected the damage and gave me a yellow form, stating the damage on the vehicle and what needs to be rectified (very express inspection, if you ask me). This form i have to present it to Toyota. I'll follow up on this and let others know what happens next.

But in the mean time, i'd be grateful if any one can offer advice on what i should have done? or answer the question below please?

-Should the traffic police arrived on the scene of the accident?
-Should the truck driver moved his vehicle or left it there for police traffic to inspect?
-Is it advisable to get witnesses at the scene of accident?
-In Bahrain, if someone hits you from the back, are they automatically at fault?
-Can i claim for damages from his insurance? (my employer wasn't happy that i lost 1/2 day at work) as this wasn't my fault.
-Do the police report color forms have any relevance?

I'd be very grateful for any responses as this may help others too.

Thanks
Jaz

Hi Jazzy,

Thanks for sharing your accident experience with us and thanks for the detailed description ... Felt like I was there :D

I would say that you have done an excellent job ... Well Done :one

Well, in certain situations the police officer should arrive to the accident scene ... But in most of the cases when you phone them and explain what happened and they feel that its simple accident they ask you to go to the nearest police station for reporting and formalities.

Normally both cars have to stay at the scene of accident without moving them till the police officer arrive for inspection but since you were told to go to the police station then there is no problems.  I think going to the police station is much much better than staying at the scene of accident waiting for the police officer to come and cause a massive traffic jam.

You don't have to keep witnesses at the scene of accident, usually the police officers are fair, they treat people equally and have enough experience to decide on who's fault... this is as far as I have seen during my short stay in Bahrain to date.

Yes ... If someone hits you from the back its automatically his fault unless you acknowledge that its your fault.

Stay Safe and Take Care while driving in Bahrain :)

Regards,

Hi VidoDido,
Thank-you for your reply and appreciate your comments.
Have you been involved in an accident yourself here in Bahrain?

I am at present, in touch with the insurance company and the car repair shop. Will post up the process as soon as its completed..
But for now, its a case of chasing the relevant parties to do what they are supposed to do, which is a pain most of the time!

Jaz

Hi Jaz,

Yes indeed, have been involved in one but luckily it was a very minor one and my car had nothing at all ... only the other guy had some minor dents.

We went to the police station and since it was my fault I had to pay something like 10 BD and that's it from my side ... The other guy had to get the accident report to repair his car but don't know what has happened to him after that.

You are right, the difficult part is what you are doing right now, chasing everyone to get things done ... Time factor in Bahrain is quite unknown :D

Thanks for sharing the process and your experience with us as that may help other people having the same situation however I hope that it won't happen to anyone and hope that everyone stays careful as much as possible to avoid such incidents :)

Best Regards,

Hi Jazzy,

Sorry to hear about your accident but thanks for sharing !

Welcome to the crazy roads of Bahrain :p

Cheers

Olivier

It's better than the crazy streets of France :)

Naif99 wrote:

ô_Ô

So not true ! There is one exception : Paris.
Besides it, driving is not too crazy in France. You will hardly see someone driving at full speed on the emergency lane because they don't wanna wait, or people taking the wrong lane before inserting themselves by force in yours because if you are to stupid to wait, well they are not !
As I said, Bahraini people are real cool people, quiet, open minded etc... but my goodness... give them a steer wheel and you turn them into crazy angry dangerous fierce mass murderers !
And the ladies are not the quietest !!!

But don't worry, as soon as I step out of my car, I love them again :p

Cheers

Olivier

I've had quite a number of them during my past years. One which was major that led to the scrapping of my car.

VidoDido explained well.

The basic rule is that if someone hits you from behind it is considered automatically their fault- they were following too closely without sufficient distance.

Trying to call the traffic police here is quite the task! You call the 199 number and it's either nobody answers or it's always busy. Finally when you get an answer it's a policeman who's not really satisfied with his job judging by his tone. He'll ask you if it's a big or small accident. In your case he'd tell you to come to the station with the other party.

In my case after I talked the police I'd also let the other party talk. I also wrote down the other party's number and license plate.

When an accident happens and you are able to move and step out of the car to inspect it and the other party's, you can ask if the other party is alright but never say I'm sorry, even if it's your fault. You let that for the police to decide. Also recommended if you can take a picture of the scene before you move the cars.

I'd suggest that if it's a small accident for anyone to move their cars aside no avoid creating a traffic jam. Once at the station in which like you said everything is in Arabic, the policeman will finally speak to you and ask you to explain the situation, the same with the other party, sometimes he'll ask you to illustrate this on a white board. After that all of you will go out to inspect the cars.

Once the ordeal is done, it's now up to the insurance company to do their work. You don't really have to call the other party yourself, though it'll take some time to get everything finalized before you can have your car put in the garage of your choice. The other party's insurance will always want to put your car in a local garage and you'll have to be firm with it.

It's lucky that you faced a minor accident that you could quickly deal with it or else you'd have to sit there in the summer heat.

Very not ideal to get into a car accident in the summer and especially during Ramadan. In Ramadan, it is a PAIN to process insurance paperwork to the garage and takes about a month to repair.

It's amazing like how Olivier said, the people here are nice, friendly, hospitable. But when it comes to driving all hell breaks loose. So aggressive and fast. Wish some applied that their work, also ministries.

:D i Guess they are better than SAUDI :P drivers
-------

Olivier-France wrote:
Naif99 wrote:

ô_Ô

So not true ! There is one exception : Paris.
Besides it, driving is not too crazy in France. You will hardly see someone driving at full speed on the emergency lane because they don't wanna wait, or people taking the wrong lane before inserting themselves by force in yours because if you are to stupid to wait, well they are not !
As I said, Bahraini people are real cool people, quiet, open minded etc... but my goodness... give them a steer wheel and you turn them into crazy angry dangerous fierce mass murderers !
And the ladies are not the quietest !!!

But don't worry, as soon as I step out of my car, I love them again :p

Cheers

Olivier

I my car has been  hit on its back by another car  (Bahraini National) and he asked me to go to Isa Town Trafic Police and left just ignoring my request to stay. I could just note down his number. I went to the Isa Town Police Traffic and the Police Man gracefully registered the case and asked my to come after 4 days. When I sent after 4 days, they asked me to report at Nabi Salah PS. I am not able to do proceed and what can I do. The car repair is going to cost me a lot!

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation, but where did the accident happen? was it under riffa police station limits? try going to nabih saleh police station as directed by the policemen and explain them the situation, that's the only thing you can do right now to get a case registered, if possible take a Arab speaking person who can assist you.

T&R

Hi guys need some info my girlfriend accidentally bumped into the back of someone after they slammed on at some lights near the hamala fly over my girlfriend had to pay 10BD at the police station and the guy who she bumped said everythings fine now ill take it from here.

So thats great and all but is that it? Am i going to get smashed this charges from my insurance or anything like that apparently you dont but i need help please if anyone knows anything.

Chris 3008 wrote:

Hi guys need some info my girlfriend accidentally bumped into the back of someone after they slammed on at some lights near the hamala fly over my girlfriend had to pay 10BD at the police station and the guy who she bumped said everythings fine now ill take it from here.

So thats great and all but is that it? Am i going to get smashed this charges from my insurance or anything like that apparently you dont but i need help please if anyone knows anything.

Hi Chris,
Sorry to hear about this.

You are right. What would happen is as follows:
The other driver will be able to get his car repaired and have the cost of the repairs charged to your insurance company. If the repair costs are not too much, you dont have much to worry about. However, if the repair costs are large, it will impact your annual insurance charge.