Transferring your car from Saudi to Bahrain

I'm planning to relocate to Bahrain and I would like to transfer my car (2 years old) to Bahrain and get it registered there. Could anyone help me with this?

Regards,
Dr.AA

Hello,

We had a similar discussion here

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=496452

T&R

There's not much info in that discussion that's why I posted a new topic. Any help would be welcome.

I know one guy who did this (a colleague) and swore that if he'd known how much hassle it was, he would simply have sold in Saudi and bought again in Bahrain.

It's a new vehicle...selling it will be a huge loss. Have to take all pains and get it across but don't know exactly how. Do help.

Regards

if you hang about on the causeway, you'll often see flat bed small trucks with phone numbers on them for companies that transport vehicles like this. I'm sure they'd arrange the whole thing for a price.

I don't have any I can give you as it's not something I'd consider.

What make is the car? Did you buy it new yourself?
In order to export / import you will need to prove that you paid the GCC import tax of 5%. This piece of paper is a nightmare to get hold of.

One of the names it goes under is something like Bayan Mukasa. I spent ages trying to get one from Toyota who sent me to the Traffic police who sent me round the houses back to Toyota. In the end I had to pay the 5% tax, so factor that in when working out whether it's worth selling and buying again in Bahrain. Prices in Bahrain are higher however, and also the price of your model will have no doubt gone up as well.

I got some help with an agent on the Saudi side, but mostly did it myself. It helps to have an arabic speaker.

You need to get the MVPI inspection done for the car.
Then you take it to the traffic police and ask to get it exported.
They test it and approve it. However, you need other paperwork.
I had to get a letter from my employer releasing me, even though it was owned in my name. The letter had to be stamped by the employer (the main signatory) then stamped at the chamber of commerce.
Then they should accept the paperwork.
Then they will remove the plates and give you temporary plates.
At all stages make copies of the paperwork but keep all originals.
Then you need to get the vehicle to the saudi causeway - i drove from Jeddah (long story!). You could get it sent over in a truck and meet it there. It's easier if you (the owner) are the one doing the export and present, else it takes longer and is more complex.
I found an agent on the causeway to help with the paperwork. It wasn't the one I planned to use, but there are a number of people there. They don't wake up early, so plan to be there for 8am, and expect to spend hours.
They should take all your documents and get them processed.
They spent ages double checking that I didn't have the tax form, because it's a pain to export without.
I made the mistake of having the entire contents of my apartment in the back of the car, so they made me do extra forms to export my belongings. So it's easier to ship them, as i had the same issue on the other side of the causeway.
Finally, you can go across, and they do paperwork, along with you getting stamped into the country, you have to go to various offices to buy insurance to drive it over, get it inspected, x-rayed and all that.
Once you're through that, you can pick up an agent on the Bahrain side to help with the import. One of the guys in the offices i had to go to sent me to a firm, there are plenty of guys kicking around. They then help.
The bahraini 'agents' are way more efficient, and all offices are easier to deal with as they have way better english.
You have to fill in lots of forms on this side too, including presenting the tax form.
I had to pay (can't remember if it was cash or card but be prepared for both) the 5% tax.
Then they finally allowed part of the paperwork to be processed.
They did a full check of the car's contents as i was importing all my belongings too, that took a while, and I think they x-rayed again.
You need to arrange insurance for a year. Axa were great for this, and i managed it all with a couple of whatsapp messages. They need your passport, license, vehicle chassis number, plates if possible, and payment(!).
Finally the last steps are to go to the traffic police on the bahraini side.
They do an inspection and vehicle check and finally, you are able to register the car on the other side.
Now this part is important, you cannot register a car unless you are a Bahraini, or have Bahraini residency.
**So make sure you have your residency sorted - CPR, Residence Permit in passport, and an address where you live.**
You can't just assign it to a Bahraini as far as i remember as you would have needed to do this on all the paperwork from the beginning at the saudi end.
So, if you don't have paperwork [I didn't! :( ] - they will take the temp saudi plates off you, but not issue bahraini ones.
I was stuck with a legally imported car that I owned, but couldn't drive. I had to call a truck to tow it to my apartment. I was gutted.
When I finally got the residence papers I had to get the car towed to the traffic police in Bahrain (Isa town) - queued up for hours only to be told it was too dirty and have to tow it to a car wash , and back again! Then after another test of the car they finally gave me plates!! This wasn't easy, at every stage, they wanted original documents, some of which had been taken along the way, and so I had to keep going to the supervisor and get his personal sign off, then take another number in the queue. There were around 4 or 5 stages. So make sure you keep all paperwork, i took photos along the way, but keep the originals in a folder.

Ideally, make sure you have residency sorted first.
If you have the residency stuff sorted, hopefully, you'd get plates issued at the border and not need to undergo any further testing or process. You might have to get something ratified at the Isa town office, but probably not.

Apologies for the poor formatting, i've been meaning to get the process written down properly for a while. Some of the order might be different, I wrote off the top of my head, but you get the gist.

Each agent/process needs payment.

I paid roughly:

500 SAR to a guy that helped - recommended by a moving company. The moving company would have charged 2000, but this guy was helpful even though his english wasn't great. He came around with me for a day to the offices and even offered to drive across with me.
100 SAR traffic police
20 SAR to pay the guy who pays the traffic police through the atm
25 SAR Chamber of Commerce stamp
20 SAR Export plates
25 SAR Causeway fee
500 SAR Saudi clearing company
5% TAX on car! 😢
Some fee for stamping documents
200 SAR Bahrain Clearing - not sure if it was SAR or BD, must have been SAR
850 SAR Insurance cost - for a year
300 SAR for truck to drive it home!

Was it worth it? Yep, my car, Toyota Prado, I think was 12-18 months old at the time and i was set to lose close to 20-25k SAR on the value if i sold it. They retain their value well after a number of years, so i'll see how it goes.

It was a lot of hassle, but that was all part of the adventure. After a 12-15 hour car ride, I arrived in Dammam around 6am and spent the next 12 hours on the causeway.

Hopefully, if you have the right paperwork and residency sorted then it would be easier for you.

You can probably just pay someone to handle it all for you, for an extra couple of thousand riyals and it would still be worth it, but there is a lot of paperwork you need to do yourself. I spent at least 2 or 3 days running around on the Jeddah side sorting it all out.

One thing to bear in mind, how attached are you to the car? What type is it? You don't really need to have a big 4x4 over here, even with the current rainfall. There is less opportunity to go duning (or driving over the curbs/medians Saudi style), so you can get away with a much smaller car. Rentals are pretty cheap too. It's worth coming over to check it out and drive around.

It's also a tiny, tiny place, it's probably max 15-20 kilometres across which is most likely less than the length of the causeway. A small car is sufficient.

Having said that, i enjoy the Prado :D

Hope that helps

Vik

vikpaw wrote:

In order to export / import you will need to prove that you paid the GCC import tax of 5%. This piece of paper is a nightmare to get hold of.

One of the names it goes under is something like Bayan Mukasa. I spent ages trying to get one from Toyota who sent me to the Traffic police who sent me round the houses back to Toyota. In the end I had to pay the 5% tax, so factor that in when working out whether it's worth selling and buying again in Bahrain. Prices in Bahrain are higher however, and also the price of your model will have no doubt gone up as well.

I got some help with an agent on the Saudi side, but mostly did it myself. It helps to have an arabic speaker.

I had to get a letter from my employer releasing me, even though it was owned in my name. The letter had to be stamped by the employer (the main signatory) then stamped at the chamber of commerce.
Then you need to get the vehicle to the saudi causeway - i drove from Jeddah (long story!). You could get it sent over in a truck and meet it there. It's easier if you (the owner) are the one doing the export and present, else it takes longer and is more complex.
I found an agent on the causeway to help with the paperwork. It wasn't the one I planned to use, but there are a number of people there. They don't wake up early, so plan to be there for 8am, and expect to spend hours.
They spent ages double checking that I didn't have the tax form, because it's a pain to export without.
I made the mistake of having the entire contents of my apartment in the back of the car, so they made me do extra forms to export my belongings. So it's easier to ship them, as i had the same issue on the other side of the causeway.
Finally, you can go across, and they do paperwork, along with you getting stamped into the country, you have to go to various offices to buy insurance to drive it over, get it inspected, x-rayed and all that.
Once you're through that, you can pick up an agent on the Bahrain side to help with the import. One of the guys in the offices i had to go to sent me to a firm, there are plenty of guys kicking around. They then help.
The bahraini 'agents' are way more efficient, and all offices are easier to deal with as they have way better english.
You have to fill in lots of forms on this side too, including presenting the tax form.
I had to pay (can't remember if it was cash or card but be prepared for both) the 5% tax.
They did a full check of the car's contents as i was importing all my belongings too, that took a while, and I think they x-rayed again.
You need to arrange insurance for a year. Axa were great for this, and i managed it all with a couple of whatsapp messages. They need your passport, license, vehicle chassis number, plates if possible, and payment(!).
They do an inspection and vehicle check and finally, you are able to register the car on the other side.
Now this part is important, you cannot register a car unless you are a Bahraini, or have Bahraini residency.
**So make sure you have your residency sorted - CPR, Residence Permit in passport, and an address where you live.**
You can't just assign it to a Bahraini as far as i remember as you would have needed to do this on all the paperwork from the beginning at the saudi end.
So, if you don't have paperwork [I didn't! :( ] - they will take the temp saudi plates off you, but not issue bahraini ones.
I was stuck with a legally imported car that I owned, but couldn't drive. I had to call a truck to tow it to my apartment. I was gutted.
When I finally got the residence papers I had to get the car towed to the traffic police in Bahrain (Isa town) - queued up for hours only to be told it was too dirty and have to tow it to a car wash , and back again! Then after another test of the car they finally gave me plates!! This wasn't easy, at every stage, they wanted original documents, some of which had been taken along the way, and so I had to keep going to the supervisor and get his personal sign off, then take another number in the queue. There were around 4 or 5 stages. So make sure you keep all paperwork, i took photos along the way, but keep the originals in a folder.

If you have the residency stuff sorted, hopefully, you'd get plates issued at the border and not need to undergo any further testing or process. You might have to get something ratified at the Isa town office, but probably not.

Apologies for the poor formatting, i've been meaning to get the process written down properly for a while. Some of the order might be different, I wrote off the top of my head, but you get the gist.

I paid roughly:

500 SAR to a guy that helped - recommended by a moving company. The moving company would have charged 2000, but this guy was helpful even though his english wasn't great. He came around with me for a day to the offices and even offered to drive across with me.
100 SAR traffic police
20 SAR Export plates
25 SAR Causeway fee
5% TAX on car! 😢

Was it worth it? Yep, my car, Toyota Prado, I think was 12-18 months old at the time and i was set to lose close to 20-25k SAR on the value if i sold it. They retain their value well after a number of years, so i'll see how it goes.

It was a lot of hassle, but that was all part of the adventure. After a 12-15 hour car ride, I arrived in Dammam around 6am and spent the next 12 hours on the causeway.

Hopefully, if you have the right paperwork and residency sorted then it would be easier for you.

You can probably just pay someone to handle it all for you, for an extra couple of thousand riyals and it would still be worth it, but there is a lot of paperwork you need to do yourself. I spent at least 2 or 3 days running around on the Jeddah side sorting it all out.

One thing to bear in mind, how attached are you to the car? What type is it? You don't really need to have a big 4x4 over here, even with the current rainfall. There is less opportunity to go duning (or driving over the curbs/medians Saudi style), so you can get away with a much smaller car. Rentals are pretty cheap too. It's worth coming over to check it out and drive around.

It's also a tiny, tiny place, it's probably max 15-20 kilometres across which is most likely less than the length of the causeway. A small car is sufficient.

Hope that helps

Vik

Thanks a ton Buddy! Happy to know that its possible to export your car, that is a big relief to me, especially with the fact that the second hand car market is pretty down these days in Saudi. Moreover I love my car (Toyota Rav 4) and bought it only only 18 months back. Would have lost about 60-70k selling it.

This post will definitely help a lot of people like me. Thanks for the detailed info!!!

Don't forget to hit the like button ;)

Toyota - it will be a problem to get the tax form, unless you're very lucky.
Start asking now.

I heard unofficially there is some dispute between the Saudi Toyota franchise and the
Bahraini one and that is why they don't want to give the tax form, but that's just hearsay.

You need to have the original paper though, which Toyota would have paid when they imported the car. They probably don't want to show you as it states the original value of the car!

I would advise anybody buying a car in the GCC to only do so if they are given the original tax paperwork. If you buy the car, particularly if it's new and you want to export it within the Gulf, you need it. Nobody has the rights to keep it. They should give it to you when you buy a car. I was very disappointed to find this out.

vikpaw wrote:

Don't forget to hit the like button ;)

Toyota - it will be a problem to get the tax form, unless you're very lucky.
Start asking now.

I heard unofficially there is some dispute between the Saudi Toyota franchise and the
Bahraini one and that is why they don't want to give the tax form, but that's just hearsay.

You need to have the original paper though, which Toyota would have paid when they imported the car. They probably don't want to show you as it states the original value of the car!

I would advise anybody buying a car in the GCC to only do so if they are given the original tax paperwork. If you buy the car, particularly if it's new and you want to export it within the Gulf, you need it. Nobody has the rights to keep it. They should give it to you when you buy a car. I was very disappointed to find this out.

In case I'm not able to procure the tax form from Toyota then whats the alternative? Were you able to get yours?

then you pay the 5% as he said he had to do. The form is there to state you have already paid it (which you have in the original price). No form = no proof so you'll pay again.

Ok....where is it to be paid, is it on the Saudi side or in Bahrain?  :/

Bahrain side.

When you import the car, they will require you to pay import tax. This was already paid by Toyota when they initially shipped the car to Saudi.

Within the GCC if you paid it once and can prove it, you don't need to pay it again.

On the Bahraini side they will make you pay it. Honestly the guys were really nice and felt so sorry for me.

Even on leaving Saudi, they kept sending the runner and the agent back to me to confirm I didn't have it, because when they stamped it for export, they had to say there was no tax form.

vikpaw wrote:

Bahrain side.

When you import the car, they will require you to pay import tax. This was already paid by Toyota when they initially shipped the car to Saudi.

Within the GCC if you paid it once and can prove it, you don't need to pay it again.

On the Bahraini side they will make you pay it. Honestly the guys were really nice and felt so sorry for me.

Even on leaving Saudi, they kept sending the runner and the agent back to me to confirm I didn't have it, because when they stamped it for export, they had to say there was no tax form.

Thanks pal  :top:

thank you Vikpaw for a very brief response  :D

logicalindian wrote:

np

vikpaw wrote:
logicalindian wrote:

np

sorry vikpaw, could you elaborate? ;)

Dear DR_AA,

Did you able to export your car to Bahrain?

No I didn't.....changed plans

vikpaw wrote:

I paid roughly:

100 SAR traffic police
20 SAR Export plates
25 SAR Causeway fee
5% TAX on car! 😢

Hope that helps

Vik

Dear Vikpaw,

could you please confirm me:
what was your CPR status did you get CPR or not at the time of export?
Did you get final exit with Saudi employer or not?

My company in saudi arabia giving me final exit and i have bahrain work visa but CPR not yet completed. I tried to contact car transportation companies but they do not offer services to Bahrain.

Could you guide me what will be the process in my case? if you have car transportation company they can export car to Bahrain please share their contact details.

Your help will be highly appreciated .
Thanks & Regards,

As I said I did not have CPR or address and so I could not get Bahraini license plate.

I'm also not sure how easy it is to do final exit on causeway. As you require paperwork in Saudi it would be better to send an agent with car because of you go final exit and need a document you will not be able to return and your car will be trapped there.

Check for agents in Dammam. Also try Rainbow Cargo - Steven - ‭***

Good luck

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details in private

Hello Vik,

Thanks for sharing information in so details. Highly appreciated.

Appreciate if you can also please share the contact details of the person with whome you have taken support in jeddah for the paper work. I am also planning to move my Corolla only 17th months used from Jeddah-bahrain.

Also your recomendation in my case where I am going to transfer my car on my friend name in jeddah as I have to final exit and my Bahrain RP is not yet ready.

Once my RP of Bahrain is ready what is the procedure or is it difficult to export car from jeddah which is on my friend name and in Bahrain it will be on my name as he will not have Bahrain RP.

many thanks,
Syed

Dear friends,
I will be leaving Saudi Arabia in 10 days.i will be going on final exit and will directly go to Bahrain and join my new company.I have done MVPI inspection of my car.i have tried my best to find agents who can help mein moving my car to Bahrain but found none.Can anyone give me contact number for agents in Dammam or jubail?else I have no other option other than selling the car.
Also,I want to know -when we take export plates,the car removed from my name and I can get my exit visa or car is still on my name and my employer can't issue exit visa

Hi,

Due to some reasons I changed my plan of taking my car to bahrain. I left it in Jeddah only.
The process is not so complicated try to approach Al-bassam transport company they can do it on your behalf and they will guide you for each steps.
For me transporting from Jeddah to bahrain they were charging 1500sar so I think from Dammam they might charge very less as its very near by. They will only guide you what all you need to do and then they will shift the car to bahrain. If you know already someone in Bahrain you can transfer car on his name making this easier for you.

Hope it helps you.

Hello Everyone,

I am moving to Bahrain in Dec 2018 & wanted to export my Jeep Cherokee 2016 model to Bahrain from Khobar (Saudi Arabia).
Can anyone help me on checklist & procedure to export my car including details of transporting company agent? Any tips to expedite the process.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 66#3619243

Refer to this post

Hi. I transferred my car by myself from dammam to bahrain within 1 and half day. Very simple process.

Hi Shahid,
Good Evening.
That's very good, Can you please share me the detailed process.
And which shipping company was used?
I will make the final exit in first of Dec 2018.

Shahids75 wrote:

Hi. I transferred my car by myself from dammam to bahrain within 1 and half day. Very simple process.

Hi Shahid,
Good Evening.
That's very good, Can you please share me the detailed process.
And which shipping company was used?
I will make the final exit in first of Dec 2018.

Al Bassami Transports the vehicle only upto Dammam. Can any one tell me the name and contact details of agencies that can help in transfer.

Hi
I am in contact with one of the Khobar shipping company.
Will let you know they are ok & reliable to do the shipping.

mahesh.jujgar wrote:

Hi
I am in contact with one of the Khobar shipping company.
Will let you know they are ok & reliable to do the shipping.

That's great. Please do let me know. Have sent you a pm. Pls check and reply.

Hi,
I tried with "Four Winds Company", but say that there is a new rule that only Saudi Driver can take/tow the car to Bahrain.
Need to check for another shipping company.
Shahid in one of this reply said, he did it easily & in 1.5 days.
I sent him a message but still waiting for his reply to guide us.

Hopefully, he reads our message & guide us.

I spoke to a lot of agents. They'll all transport your car and deliver it to you in Bahrain, but all of them insists on you doing the paperworks here and then presenting yourself at the border to do the paper works there. They'll only transport it for you. The cost involved in transportation, 5% import tax and 5 % VAT only makes things worse.

Really confused :unsure

Can I have the shipping companies names you contacted & contact nos.

mahesh.jujgar wrote:

Can I have the shipping companies names you contacted & contact nos.

***...forgot the name of the company

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Check your pm....

Thanks for saving me heaps of aggravation!  Definitely wont bother to bring car across.  Will sell and rent as the rates are quite reasonable.

Hi All,
One of persons moved to AbuDhabi last month. He drove the car on his own with following procedures.
1. MVPI(Motor Vehicle Periodic Inspection) done.
2. Went to Maroor (Traffic Police) to get the export Number Plate. You have to pay 100 SAR online via online Banking under your Iqama/Vehicle before you go to traffic police.
3. Need to have a valid Insurance for your car.
4.  With all these documents & procedure completed, you can drive your car on your own. You should drive your car to customs location at Saudi side in the direction where trucs go.
5. After the customs clearance at Saudi, proceed to destination country customs. You must have the residency permit of the destination country.
6. You need to Pay approx. 10 %( 5 % duty + 5 %) of the car value ( will be decided by Destination country customs as per system generated value of the car.
7. Once you completed the procedure, you are done with this. Then you can re-register your car in the destination country as per the traffic laws.

This procedure may take approx. 6-7 hours depending upon the rush at the customs.

This procedure is just for info & may not be correct, is based on a person who shared his own experience.

Did you move to Bahrain yet @Mahesh?
What happened with your car?
I'm not sure what the extra 5% is for, hopefully not VAT. Shouldn't need to pay it if you can prove it was already paid, same as customs duty.