Registering Bahrain cars in Saudi

Hi all,

Me and the fam currently live in Bahrain but we will be moving to Saudi once the border's open etc as I work there in the Khobar area.

Our Bahrain residence will expire and I'm wondering if it's a requirement to have that to drive a Bahrain car in KSA. I've been driving across the causeway loads of times and have a GCC licence and around Saudi and it's never been a problem, although I've never been stopped.

We have 2 cars, both are 10 years old.

Do you think it's allowed to drive Bahrain registered cards there even though we are no longer residents of Bahrain? Would keeping the CPR be of any benefit?

If you recommend re-registering, what is the process/costs etc?

Let us know if you can help. Cheers.

There is no re-registering. You have to export the car from Bahrain and import into Saudi. Long convoluted process.  You can find threads on this in the forums.

In most cases you can continue to drive the car but you won't be able to renew the registration once your cpr expires and even then, its a hassle to take it for inspection to Bahrain to renew registration. Also if there is an accident, be aware that your insurance may not cover it in Saudi unless you opted for full gcc cover.

XTang wrote:

There is no re-registering. You have to export the car from Bahrain and import into Saudi. Long convoluted process.  You can find threads on this in the forums.

In most cases you can continue to drive the car but you won't be able to renew the registration once your cpr expires and even then, its a hassle to take it for inspection to Bahrain to renew registration. Also if there is an accident, be aware that your insurance may not cover it in Saudi unless you opted for full gcc cover.

Many thanks for the info. Our CPR expires in 4 years so probably no need for the hassle of exporting (?)

I get the basic insurance cover every 3 months at the border. That would cover damage to the other vehicle as 3rd party, wouldn't it?

May expire in 4 years but when visa is cancelled, the status of cpr changes from active to inactive. Meaning that you can't access any services until that is rectified.

That is 3rd party. Won't cover damage to your car inside Saudi. For that you have to add on gcc cover to your policy from your insurance company.

Very useful thanks.

Do you know if there'll be an issue coming back over from Saudi, crossing into the Bahrain side and getting to Bahrain passport control/custom check when your residency expired and you require a tourist visa? I'm talking about the car, obviously getting visa on arrival is fine. I have valid Bahrain insurance so no worries on that front.

No car ownership is different matter.

XTang wrote:

It's now coming up to the time I want to take my car into Saudi in the next 10-14 days.

A few questions:

1) Why is it needed to export the car if you have valid licence/registration details?

2) I still have my CPR but if it's inactive I can't renew the insurance/registration right?

3) I have read one or two posts about this: I take it you go to the traffic directorate and ask people how to do it? Can the process be done in a day?

4) When it's given permission to export, will the plates be changed?

5) What about importing it into Saudi? Is there anything I have to do on that side?

Thanks for your help.

1) If you want to change the car plates to Saudi plates, export is needed.  If you want to keep the plates, no export needed
2) No
3) You can check but it is not a one day process
4) No.  Bahrain plates will be taken off and export plates put.  The rest of the process takes place in Saudi
5) There are many threads on the forum about this.  Search

Be aware that it is a long complex and frustrating process.  You have been warned.

Hello @xtang

Can I take my Bahrain car to saudi ,I got saudi Iqama.. but my RP will be cancelled in two weeks

1.I hv valid Bahrain insurance for next 1 yr

2.I will take insurance at cause way for next 1 yr

3.Can I come back to Bahrain with visit visa and sell my car after 1 yr ?

4.I can not export the car,as my car s more than 5 yrs old

I think you can provided your CPR's expiry date has not been reached.