8700 a good salary?

I was offered a teaching position in Abu Dhabi paying 8700 plus accommodation, light n water. Is this a good offer for a single person? Would I be able to live off 2000 and possible save the rest?

If I wish to change my job towards the end of a year, am I allowed to apply to other schools while employed?

Thank you for replying!

Why won't anyone reply?

well if u are sharing a room with 4 other people then this is a shitty accomodation..so u have to ask about everything in the contract... employers can be really tricky over here..plus 8700 is good but dont expect to save much if u are a big spender.. u can always change employers after one year.... and no one will string attach u to not apply for different positions..just make sure they dont know... Best of luck

Thanks much for your reply. I was informed that I would have my own room and bathroom and share kitchen and living room. Haven't gotten the contract yet but I will make sure I go through it thoroughly. Thanks again.

mate you will be lucky if you can save 3k on the side, specially if your going to party on weekends

Accept it , transfer is easy

I'll just be going from home to work cause I am studying online and won't have much time if any at all to go to parties. In that case what do u think? Could I live off 2000 for food and taxi to and from work?

J-Ann100 wrote:

I'll just be going from home to work cause I am studying online and won't have much time if any at all to go to parties. In that case what do u think? Could I live off 2000 for food and taxi to and from work?

Hi

The salary sounds good enough to me to live on the 2000 you plan to should also work if like you say you don't go out much due to studying. There are plenty of ladies nights anyway where the drinks a free so you will be fine going out without spending, only on taxi's which are very cheap out here. Do you know which school you will be placed at? And is it through ADEC that you have applied? It is very wise to want to save too :-) lots of people come out here and earn more than in the UK but then end up spending silly money just because they can, other than this being an amazing country to live in, one of the main reasons you come to work here is to save money.

Hope this helps

Laura :-)

Thanks Laura,
That did help. I don't remember the name if the school off hand. I applied through an agency, Intelligent Partners.

Is it normal for employers to indicate in your contract that they are to keep your passport in their position for the length of your contract? If so, why us this done. This seems like a form of imprisonment!

Osmsnic, can you say if it normal for employers to indicate in your contract that they are to keep your passport in their position for the length of your contract? If so, why us this done. This seems like a form of imprisonment!

No that is not normal, it's illegal for them to do so so do not allow them to keep it! Yes u get ur visa through them so in a way they do own u but no way allow them to keeo passport!

Thank you so much Ruby! Really appreciate it.

Hello,

The salaries in UAE depends on your nationality. If you are a US national, it is too less.

Shyam

In begening,it's good offer,and yes,u can change,it's depends on the salary offer from other school....by the way which school give u this offer???I am also in Abu dhabi,my girl is marketing not teaching....