Is 45000/month a good salary?

Hi everyone,

I got an offer to work as front office risk manager in Abu Dhabi, but I have no idea what the market rate is over there. Any input would be much appreciated.

I have 7 years experience in risk management and currently living in London. If I accept the offer, I will be coming with my family, wife and two kids 5 years and 6 years.

The offer is as follows, in AED:
Base: 45k/month
Schooling: 17k/year per child
Transportation: 1,800k/month
Relocation: One time 25,000 relocation allowance.
Healthcare for the family.

I think this covers it. We have a modest lifestyle, maybe dine out once a week.

Thanks for any input!

Hiya

The package you have been quoted sounds very good. You will be fine with your family to live off of that amount. Does the package include housing? I know you have said 25k relocation allowance, is this in dirhams or pounds? Sorry for maybe being a little thick ha. The main expenses over here are the rent for accomodation and school fees. It is good the company will provide the 17k per child school fee, although I do feel this is quite low ( I don't have children myself but seem to think the school fees at British schools are around that much a term!) maybe someone with more knowledge could chip in their input.

Hope this helps slightly

Laura

Hi Laura. The package doesn't include housing and the relocation is in dirhams. We are thinking to rent an apartment in Al Raha - Al Zeina and school fees are around 45k/year per child. Would this still be attractive? Thanks

Hiya

I think al raha are mainly Villas, it's a lovely area as is al zeina- I'd say zeina may be more expensive than al raha but not completely sure.
The school fees sound better at 45k per year per child, I would try and look into the schools as soon as possible as there are quite big waiting lists for the british curriculum schools - have you thought about any schools?
When are you hoping to be moving out here? A lot of families tend to move out here but leave their wife and kids at home for the 1st few months until you get settled and find places in schools ect... but that's each to their own :-)

Laura

Hello

I am Abdullah and I have a wide experience about the life in AD also in UAE itself, If I was in your status I will accept directly...
The living expenses are quite normal but in some areas its outstanding and costly.
1. The salary is extremely good comparing to your  small  family.
2. The Housing Fees are too Costly here in AD, inside the city its quite expensive... the neighboring areas are normal like MBZ CITY= MOHAMMAD BIN ZAYED CITY AND KFCA, KFCB=KHALIFA CITY A , B.
3. Schooling fees aren't that attractive because the local PRIVATE schools in UAE are ranging from 15 k/ year to 30k/ year... however the international schools are a bit rising such as The British international school is 45000+ peryear  and the Brighton College Abu Dhabi is way expensive, I advice you to find a good school for your children because education in UAE is declining, not to mention all schools but you can contact me for further assistance about this point.
4. The transportation is good its neither costly nor cheap.
5. Health care is not a big deal. except for the cosmological expenses are too high.
6. If you're being paid for the relocation allowance cash this is interesting, I'm really sorry :( because I don't have too much info about it.
Finally you got an impressing offer especially here in in UAE, life is very safe and many fun places and theme parks Ferrari world AD, Yas Water World... and much more.

so I suggest not to lose that offer so you can find a good place to move  in here ASAP.
between if you wanted any info about a particular field to discuss you can mail me here but let me know that its you
[email protected]

best regards
Abdullah

Hi Abdullah,

Thanks for your reply. Would you know if banks are still offering expat packages or has the market changed?

I agree the offer is good but I'm unsure as I got friends that were offered expats packages basic + generous rent and car allowances.

Regards,

Hiya

Sorry to butt in but what do you mean about banks and expat packages?

The package you have been offered is really good especially now you mention the higher price allowance for the schooling.

Laura

the salary is a very good to kick off your career in abu dhabi. But the issue here is about how stable is the company.

I do advise you to check the stability and the reputation for the company you are going to work for...

You may consider this as a BRIDGING opportunity then find another job here... if the employer is not stable and / or not reputable....

anyway, companies offer such salaries will definitely have good reputation and stable...

Nah not really those banks aren't as usual they give you packages but if you put some money inside for a period of time your package will start growing annually I think it's 7000 dhs/year but not sure if that service is still available, but t depends on every bank has its own criteria. You loan some you have to get it back for them on a monthly basis they will deduct it from your salary. You may like it here now and the offer is attractive but you have to be careful and count for every step you move on in UAE. basically the laws are serving for the safety of this country but some laws aren't coming in any persons mind.

Also check the stability and the company's reputation if it's a bonded to the society very well or not  as our anonymous person said handsome 1900 said.

Try to get the opportunity and serve with them for a period of time if you didn't like it then you may apply for any for ADNOC and it's  companies they are the best across the world.

Moving on to th salary every period of time it's increasing higher and higher but in ADNOC and it's companies are the best paying companies in UAE.

you should be more respectful in writing replies... done open mouth and talk .... all can do this

Thanks for your help.

I haven't made my decision yet. Would you know if it's easy to move to another company if I need work visa.

Regards,

You really need to think it over..  Try to calculate your net income after taxes and expenses and compare it to your net income back in UK. The salary does sound appealing but the trick is how much will your net income be. If it's no different than the one you're already getting then it's not worth the hassle.   ALOT of expats come to UAE to make money and end up in debt, losing money or in the best case scenario they end up making less money than what they used to make in their home town, ESPECIALLY married ones with kids. 
For example if your salary is 45 k and you spend 10 k monthly then you save 35 k monthly or 420 k yearly.  That's 70,000 quid.
You've got to settle with average homes and average schools or you'll end up spending all your salary.
Changing jobs here is a night mare.
There are certain contacts that prevent you from changing jobs until you finish the contact and if you decide to leave you'll end up paying a fine or so. Moreover visa will be an issue when you try to leave becoz when your visa is cancelled all your family's visa will be cancelled.
Generally no one will offer you such a pay unless they're a reliable company with a long history and good money flowing.

Thanks Dr Abdul.

I got your points. After rent and school fees there won't be much saving, but the positive in my view is that the kids will be going to private school instead of state school in the UK.

The plan is to save the annual bonus. Although it's discretionary, it's tax free and make the offer more attractive.

Would you know how the work visa works? How often does it need to be renewed? What if the company decides not to renew it?

Thanks,

Thanks. Very helpful in estimating the costs.

and your accomodation will be much bigger than anything you can afford at least in London.
Schools are good in the UAE. Nothing is perfect. People will always complain. I went to a mediocre school in the UAE and I am now a consultant doctor in the UK. At least your kids wont be exposed to drugs and rude behaviour towards adults in UAE schools (unlike UK). You maybe better off sending your children to a medium school in Abu Dhabi as I know that you wont be able to keep up with the materialistic competition amongst the pupils in expensive schools. Some of them may have dad's with huge fortunes with little incentive to study hard (I said only some children, not all)

Higher the school fees does not equal better education (and therefore also dont compare with private UK schools!), it may only mean it is more posh and have exotic extra curricular activities. Dont get into a competition of sending your children to the 'best' school. Find one that suits you - combination of good tution, discipline and opportunities for some practical extra curricular activities

Thanks aqueeldoc. We have been looking at bsak and al Yasmina. Would you would have aome comments about them?

Both are great schools, I would push more for bsak, have u also looked at Brighton college? Opening soon are cranleigh and repton too- I'm guessing the fees will be expensive. Of course you get for what u pay for, I would say the teachers and teaching standards are better at the higher fee schools, which is only normal. Yasmina, al raha are also great schools :-) good luck

Hey Dude...

Think twice about it..

But if you decide not to take it..

Please let me know ..

;)

What do you think? Is it good?

MovingAD
Its a very good package.  Equal to some western  trained doctors. Take it. U will not regret it.  No package will be good enough to taste all the luxuries of the world. But based on how you explained your life in London, u will find your abu dhabi offer an 'upgrade' in living standards.

Aqeeldoc
Dr in Birmingham

Hi aqeeldoc. Yes, I believe it will be an upgrade in living standards. I have accepted the offer. Thanks for all comments and advices.

Come on its very good

Good decision. It's a good life here.  I've been in the UAE for 9 years.  I'm a single Mum to a 14 year old son (Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

Yes, it's good! Go for it! I have had lots of discussions, on LinkedIn and elsewhere. We reckon for a Western lifestyle you can cope on 25K upwards. 35K upwards is honourable. There are some humongous salaries around (80K anyone?), quite stupid really. But over 35K is honourable, 45K is good.
Stuart Frearrson

Hi. Boss.   If u want any help. To come to abudhabi Please dont histate. Thisis my email
[email protected] :)

IMO that is an acceptable salary, but I don't know about your career field.  In Abu Dhabi the allowance for school may not cover the expense. You will have to inquire about that. I just heard that second hand. The other issue you may experience is housing expense. If you choose to focus on only an area near the school, you may find that housing will be expensive. The longer you are willing to commute to work, or school, the better rental prices will be found.

I live in Al Ain, which would be roughly an hour and a half commute, but housing is half the cost, and there are schools here too. You can find a 3 bedroom villa for 80,000 AED easily.

David

Hi i think its a decent salary to live in UAE.

Hi Everyone,

I received an offer for an assistant professor position.
The salary is 23,000. The university is covering housing, 30k relocation, 20k education allowance per child, air tickets once a year, and also 54 days off, paid.
I have 2 kids, 2 yrs, and 7yrs.
I live in Canada!

Is this a good offer?

Appreciate your help

Hi,

If they are covering for housing than its a good salary!! housing is a major expense in UAE.

Best of luck for your job :)

Robin

It´s a really good offer go ahead

Yes, housing in included, probably on campus  accommodation!

Thanks , really appreciate your reply.

Cheers

do you mind if i ask which university is this?

I have to ask, did you decide to make the move?

Answer, yes. You can cope
as a European from about 25K upwards but it goes up dramatically if you have dependents and are schooling children

A month?