Hello! Am working towards re-locating back to The Rock!

Hello All!  Call it mental, but "home" is calling me ..well, err... home!

I'm English but grew up in Malta (8-18 years old).  From Malta I moved to Germany in 1992-ish with my now Italian husband and live and work here (in Germany).  I have great memories and a few great school friends still down on the island.  I go down about twice a year when I can for a vacation every year - less frequently now my parents have passed.

I inherited my parents (large) house & garden a few years back in the heart of a Maltese village, which has been derelict since, crying for occupancy, in need of lots of renovation and love.  I have battled daily since with the thought of paying huge amounts of money in rent here every month when I could live rent free in the sunshine down in Malta. Hubby's slowly coming round to it too  :cool:

Goal is permanent residency in Summer 2016, perhaps turning 3 of the double bedrooms into a kind of B&B for a bit of income.  Would need work, a good school, a car and all the other "basics" too... lots to consider  :/   

In the meantime, I am trying to "renovate" the house from a distance, skipping down for "working vacations" when I can.  It's a nightmare.  Local workers & contractors are unreliable, over charge, (I know they think I must be a rich, female foreigner with a huge summer house that automatically signifies I obviously  must be loaded - unfortunately, it couldn't be farther from the truth!) and have I mentioned unreliable?!  I'm trying to get roofs waterproofed, water tanks working and renovate the basics to make the place liveable.  Adventure 101.  Tearing hair out literally   :blink::dumbom:   Sure many of you can relate,   but I guess this is all another story  for which section:  Moving, Accommodation, Everyday Life? :)

I'm looking to widen my network of friends, and came across this site and am loving the comments.  Do hope I can participate, advise and get involved with you guys.  Look forward to browsing.

Hi, have you tried to find a live-in caretaker? Someone who could supervise the renovation and/or could do some of it by themselves? I am sure there are people who are looking for this kind of opportunity.