Want to move to malta - impossible!

Hi all!

Hope you are all well, and very jealous of those in Malta!

Me and my partner live in the UK. I am unemployed after having a baby (she is 5 months old) and partner is employed but on a low wage (15.500/year)

We planned on moving to malta before I fell pregnant but then it fell through as we felt we had to stay here for family etc.

We can't stop thinking about Malta though, we have friends who live there, and wish so much we could join them!

It just seems nigh on impossible for us.

We don't have any savings, as we are young (i'm 21..) and we rent our flat. We would need to go to Malta with an amount of money to live on if we couldn't find a job...but we can't save as we are on such a low wage at the moment!

It's a catch 22 to be honest and I just wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom/advice for me to let me know all is not lost?!?!

Kirsty x

all is never lost my friend..but it does look like an uphill struggle what do you both do or could you do by way of working?

getting a job here isnt easy as others will verify...wages here arent great either - however you can do it if you are determined to do so....15500 euros here is a good wage by maltese standards.

accomodation is easy to find and can be as little as 200-250 euros a month, but you do get what you pay for sadly.

am sure if you put your questions and enquiries across on here  there will be plenty of good solid info and advice for you

Hi Kirsty,

welcome to the forum.

I agree with toon and must say that you shouldn't give up too soon -)))

But my first question would be: Why are you so keen to move to Malta? Have you been to Malta before? What is your motivation and expectation?

And my second question: What are your job qualifications and what kind of work would you be looking for in Malta. There are jobs, many jobs, in varius areas that require cqualifications and language skills. And many of these jobs pay a lot more than the 15.000 GBP's.

If you can get a job earning more than 15.000 €/year and can live on a low budget Malta is not that far away!

Cheers
Ricky

if its your dream - then make sure it happens....it may seem impossible but nothing is impossible...just a little hard to do maybe - but keep ya chin up and like ricky says dont give up on it......

All is never lost! You have hope and dreams....never give up on those or you be up the creek without a paddle.

I was also young (21 actually) with a baby and it seems like you are always stuck in some sort of situation - time wise, money wise, school, career. It always seems like there is not nough of any of it to go around.  However, we make it throught some days showered, some days not.

To move to Malta would be a big initial undertaking,financially and timewise: there is packing, shipping, searching for the least offensive flat, and then there is a few months rent paid in advance.

BUT jumping to another country while your family is still young would give you an advantage. You could join some moms club and meet some friend with kids your babies age. Your baby would most likely become more profiecient in Maltese before you and your mate.

MY 2 cents: If at all possible, save a little money each month or give up smoking and all moneies that you would have paid for a smoke goes into a MOVE TO MALTA jar..move in with family and save as much as possible, set a reasonable time line, 8 months-1year of saving, community research, etc and just do it.
Make your move to Malta -do it before you get sucked into preschool and a carved in set routine. 
Life goes by fast - get the most out of it!

Of course this is just my opinion...

Make sure that your mum, dad, family also know what the jar is for so that they can add funds to it aswell ;)

In the Words of the Black eyed Peas... "Own it" ... seriously youtube and LISTEN... very inspirational for how you are feeling

"All my dreamers
All my believers
Tomorrow, lead us

If you've been dreamin'
For all your life
This is your chance

Everybody is a star
It don't matter who you are, no
Keep on reachin' for your dreams
'Cuz it ain't as crazy as it seems

We are callin' all the dreamers
We are callin' the believers
Looking for the biggest achievers
Keep on reachin' for your dreams"

It made me feel like a million bucks when i was sitting on the plane after my first interview... listening to this made me know that i had got that job ;)

Julian

well said guys and gals

When we first moved here my boyfriend and I were on good money but it doesn't go far! We had an expensive flat, debts and had trouble saving. Luckily for us we were able to leave the flat and move in with family for a while, which really helped us save- if this is an option for you (however unappealing) you should definitely consider it.

I don't know how much you pay in rent but if your family would have you for just half the rent amount (we were lucky and only had to buy our own food) then that'd add up in savings each month!

We came over here with only about 3000 between us, although we did have family on hand to lend money if anything went wrong which I know isn't the same for everyone.

If you have any debts, look into a debt management company. They can help you budget, they take into account your wage and outgoings and calculate how much you can afford to pay each month. They will contact creditors (banks for loans, credit card companies, store cards) and often arrange to reduce debt and often get you reduced monthly payments (for example one of my credit card companies halved my debt, froze interest and halved my monthly payment). It only took me about a year to be debt free, which is another help when saving!

Wishing you the best of luck, I replied to your PM and please let me know how it goes! xx