Plans to move to malta?

I am currently in a relationship with a woman from malta and have been talkin about me comin ti malta to be with her next summer. Well i was plannin that until i found out u neeed residence or whatever. So my question is : is there anything i could do to work live with her in malta? And if there isnt what could i do to make it possible for me to qualify for the residence. I was told that i only need a work permit from. Friend of hers but im not too sure. I was plannin to just be a waiter at the resturant she is workin at too but i didnt no i needed to be a residence or whatever to live there.... So yeah if someone can help me out lemme no. I woodnt be able to stay in malta if she is workin and her own place? And btw i am from america new york

If you don't hold an EU passport (or aren't married to an EU citizen) you need a uniform residence permit.

I'm PMing you a link that covers the following issues

1. Uniform residence permit for 3rd country nationals ("3rd Country National" = a citizen of a non-EU country)
2. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
3. do I need health insurance ?
4. can I work in Malta ?
4.1 How much is income tax ?
4.2 How much are social security contributions ?
5. where do I apply for my residency permit ?
6. where do I apply for my ID card ?
7. buying a property FAQ
8. renting a property FAQ
9. Importing a vehicle FAQ
10. Do I need a visa to enter Malta, and where can I apply for one ?
11. What's the proceedure for exporting/importing a pet ?
12. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
13. Long term residency permit

Thanjs fir the reply and i checked ur pm and it has somewhat lifted a weight off my shoulder. Its states i can qualify for the uniform residence if i have a partner that is a citizen of malta. So does redidence allow me to work as well? And do you know if any of these governemnt buildings are near Marskala? I want my girlfriend to look into this more so we arent spendin the first week of me being there or so panicing. Would now be a good time to apply?  I am departing june 1st of 2012.

Its states i can qualify for the uniform residence if i have a partner that is a citizen of malta - correct, if partnership is atleast 2 years old

so does redidence allow me to work as well? depends on the permit you get (see 4 in link)

And do you know if any of these governemnt buildings are near Marskala? - addresses are all in the link I sent you - I believe all are in or near Valletta

I want my girlfriend to look into this more so we arent spendin the first week of me being there or so panicing - just about all you need is in the link I sent you

Wait by partnership wat do u mean? Marriage or bein together? And how woood we privide proof?

Hi Thien1992,

my girlfriend/partner is American so we have experience on this issue allowing her to take residence in Malta because of our relationship. I'm sorry to say it is not that easy.

The requirement is that you have to have been in a stable relationship for more than two years. And the Maltese authorities go a step further and define this as having lived together for two years, if possible in Malta but if in a foreign country you will have to prove it through documents like rental contract and utility bills in both names. The more proof the better.

It sounds as if you should focus on finding work in Malta with an employer who files the job permit application on your behalf. After living together for two years your girlfriend can apply for your residency as it is part of her rights as an EU citizen to live together in Malta with a partner of her choice.

There is a lot of info on residency and work permits for third-country nationals (non-EU) in previous posts.

Regards
Ricky

Thanks for the feedback but im not sure what i wood be able to get a work permit for because i dont have any college education..wood i be able to get a work permit for like a minimum wage payin job? And wood i just need a work permit to stay in malta? Or wood i need to apply for residence. Im worried that they will try and kick me out.

Thien1992 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback but im not sure what i wood be able to get a work permit for because i dont have any college education..wood i be able to get a work permit for like a minimum wage payin job? And wood i just need a work permit to stay in malta? Or wood i need to apply for residence. Im worried that they will try and kick me out.

you need to read my link on different URP categories - you can be self sufficient,student, in employment

Hi Thien,

yes, that would be your main issue. Job qualification. It is very difficult to get a work permit for work that can be done  by Maltese or EU citizens. It is difficult to find work anyway, especially work that is reasonably paid.

With a work permit you can stay in Malta and apply for ordinary residency that is time linked to your work contract.

Other stumbling blocks in the residency process are keeping your visa valid ( normally 3 months time window) and your Maltese girlfriend will have to be earning enough to support both of you at the beginning and you will need private health insurance until you get work and pay NI.

So altogether not an easy process.

How about coming for a visit first to see how things are in Malta?

Regards

if you get a work permit its also a residence permit. The number 1 issue is you have to prove you can support yourself, either through savings or through employment. If employment, your prospective employer has to justify why employ you over an EU national - the less skilled the job, the harder that is

I wood do a visit but im not makin muchs now to begin with when i go i am only gonna be going there with about 9000 USD or less...i dont wanna have to go bk to new york and have her wait another year for me. She is workin two jobs now and she said that i could get a job at the resurant she is workin at but i want ti be sure i can get it

the restaurant needs to apply on your behalf for a work permit

Whats that mean on my behalf?

Hi Thien,

George sent you a lot of information, especially about residence permits.

Here is another important link to the new Guidelines from the employment agency ETC:

http://www.etc.gov.mt/docs/ELU%20Guidel … 101110.pdf

Please study everything very carefully as just about all your questions and more are answered.

Regards

the employer applies for the work permit, not the employee

they (the employer) dont need to but may do so.....bottom line is you need a permit irrespective of who applies for it

Ok i was told i need tobe in malta for 6 months b4 i can work permit is this true?anfd what wood happen if i was past 6 months anf had nomoney to get to new york?

Hi Thien,

whoever is giving you this information is wrong.

You can't even stay for more than 3 months normally.Within the 3 months you would need to have a work permit or leave. Not an easy task.

If you are past 3 months and are not legally in Malta you face the risk of being blacklisted and you could be deported. I would say you are in big trouble.

When you come to Malta as a third-country national on a waived visa you will need a return ticket to the US anyway.

Coming on a one-way ticket would make you immediatly suspicious and might lead to your Schengen visa being denied.

Regards

Ok so i can get an employer to applyy a permit rright away?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

they (the employer) dont need to but may do so.....bottom line is you need a permit irrespective of who applies for it

As I already said, the employer must apply

from the link above

2.2 Applications for a licence for a third country national
This section is divided into two parts: documentation required, and processing of application.
Documentation required:
In the case of an application for a new employment licence for a third country national, the
process is as follows. The employer must fill in an application form and submit it to the
Employment Licences Unit by hand or by mail.

Theoretically yes but it will take a long time to process and you may have a problem finding an employer to apply. You also have to expect the application to be denied. The employer can apply for the work permit even before you arrive.

Your visa has to be valid when your employer applies if you are already in Malta and it has to be valid when you collect the permit ( if you get one). As George already said, you will only be considered for a job if the employer can show that nobody else in the whole of Europe will take the job.

It is similar to the US. If I were to fly to the US on a tourist visa with a one-way ticket and tell Border Control at Logan airport that I want to work in the US I wouldn't even be allowed to enter the US. So don't expect too much here in Europe.

Sorry that I can't be too optimistic on your situation.
Regards

Thien1992 wrote:

Ok so i can get an employer to applyy a permit rright away?

a work permit would only last 1 year, so little point applying now :-)

So what if i got her to come here would she have to go thru the same shit i have to? Or would it be easier? I just want us to be together it sucks being so far away u know?

Im sorry if m being a hassle with the questions i just dont
Wanna lose her

I wish I could be more positive, but basically both the US and the EU make it very difficult for unskilled 3rd country nationals to get employment. If you were married it would be a different matter.

Man this sucks so much idk what to do. I thought it wood be easier here cuz i am gettin paid weekly compared to the malta pay monthly i mkae how much she makes in a week so i wood be mlore than willing to pay for everything to have her stay. If that makes sense. What would u guys do if u were in my shoes?

Would your girlfriend be eligible for a green card in the US ?

Hmmm cood u inform me on green card as well as what wood make her elifible?

To use your words .....yes, it would be the same s... just the other way around.

But , my personal opinion, your economic future would be much better in the US than in Malta.

So if you can get her to the US ..... even for a three month visit first. But they do take fingerprints and photos and ask you a lot of questions when you enter the US. And you need a return plane ticket.

Unless you have a green card.

From what I understand you have a long-distance relationship . Have you met her and been together with her in real life for some time? A long distance relationship is very difficult.

. Its been long distance yes but shes a really amazing girl i never wanted to be with someone this bad b4 so i know shes got my heart. i talked to her today on oovoo and she said she would marry me to have me in malta cuz she said she cant picture herself in new york so if we did get married how much wood it cost? And would i need to get anything? Or once we got married that would be my reason to stay? Would i be able to marry her within the 90 day limit i have as a non eu? I love her alot but shes quite a keeper if she would marry me in order to have me with her in malta so thats a good thing.