Electronic toys

My old Samsung Note 20 was behaving 'old' and the camera developed a fault - Time to change.
I looked at the new S23 but decided it just wasn't worth the money so I went for last year's version, the S22.
    -@Fred

Some few months in and I  have decided the S22 was a good buy.

It works extremely well and covers my requirements with ease.

I'm very happy I didn't buy the S23 or wait for the S24 as both would have been a waste of money.

It's DeX feature is very handy, and more so since I bought a 10 inch tough screen monitor that can be used with all my devices.

The camera is lovely as its 100X zoom proves very useful as a telescope. That's saved me a lot of walking.

Value for money - Yes.

I wanted a toy to play with.
I wanted a bigger screen than my phones, but smaller than my big tablets, and cheap enough not to care if it got pinched from a hotel room.
I went for the Samsung Tab A9. I use it for watching content - also transferring a film form my hard drive and watching it on the tab. It gets used to listen to BBC Radio 4 every morning.

-@Fred

Update

This was a great buy

I still use it for Radio 4 and other entertainment, but the addition of a small, thin, Bluetooth keyboard and a very nice little BT mouse has made it into a very capable office tool.

It's especially handy for reading PDF files and things like news sites.

The screen is perfect, especially when you use the 'eye comfort shield' option in the quick menu.

It's small and light enough to carry with ease, and powerful enough to do quite a lot of office tasks using Google's office apps.

Definitely a good buy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlI45BF61SKd0U3qP5X5thOhfqbXy1WnwvcOmaETXaD9r1q_WWW0GPbCuCBNq0j2gpcyk&usqp=CAU

I found an Asus Chromebook tablet in a shop a few months ago.

I didn't really need another device but temptation banged on my brain with a wet carrot until I bought one.

Talk about a seriously handy piece of kit - and more so when I use it with a portable second monitor.

The whole setup fits into a very small bag, but I have a fully portable twin screen productivity tool I can use anywhere.

It has all the advantages of a Chromebook, but the portability of an Android tablet.

I'm very pleased with the buy.

Fred,

What would you recommend to replace my six year old iPad that just died?

Thanks.

Alan

Fred,
What would you recommend to replace my six year old iPad that just died?

Thanks.

Alan

-@alan279

People tend to buy cars to suit their needs. They don't buy a minibus to pull chicks, nor do the buy a sports car for a family runabout.

When it comes to tech, they buy whatever the advertising says they should. My wife just informed me she intends to buy an ipad to run her Microsoft office suite on. That's clearly silly and, me being subtle, communicated that opinion.

She's talking to me again this morning 1f923.svg

Examine your needs, then buy what fits them.

I really like Google's sheets, docs, and slides, so I buy Android tablets and Chromebooks.

Because my office Internet is rubbish, I deliver my presentations locally stored on an S21. That means I must have a Windows PC. I bought it to suit portability and my need for simple apps - PowerPoint and Chrome - Why would I need a massive processor and shiploads of RAM? It's wasted money.

The answer to your question is decide what you're going to use it for, then see what fits your needs.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR