Bookshops and libraries in Mauritius

Hi everybody,

are there good libraries in Mauritius? Is it possible to register at the Uni of Mauritius library, and for how much?

Are there bookshops and where (like, bookshops where I can find classics, not the latest best-sellers)?

What about Mauritian literature? Have you read any of it? What do you think about it?

There is one book I can recommend, it is "à l'autre bout de moi" of Marie-Thérèse Humbert. You can found it in France "livre de poche".

Hi Zoubia,

You have the Institut Francais de Maurice at Rose Hill www.ifmaurice.org

You can also check the public library of the Municipality of Port Louis.

I am not aware of any bookshop which specifically sells classic books. You'll find a mix of best sellers and classics in most of them.

Ok, thanks for your answers! I think I'm going to bring a number of books with me from France, and perhaps look for people who would be interested in swapping or creating a small shared collection!

Hi Zoubi

I have been to a few book stores here, the best ones are in Caudan and Port Louis. These are the places where you are likely to find Standard books and Classics!
I have my share of books in my library i built in India, some of which i brought here. Count me in on the swapping :p

Btw, I have noticed tat the cost of books here is much higher than in India, at times maybe 5 times more. Guess it is bcoz of the import duties, and the low sales volumes.
If you bringing books along, put them in a separate baggage, my baggage with the books got checked by the Guys @ the airport ;)

The bookcourt at Caudan in Port Louis
Le Printemps library in Vacoas
Le Treffle in Curepipe
he TBookcourt at Shoprite shopping park
There is a small library at Richmond Hill in Grand Baie.

I have read a few books written by Mauritian authors. I can recommand Shenaz Patel and Ananda Devi.

hello,
you can try the municipal libraries (beau-bassin, vacoas); there is the british council which has a library..

you can also search for alliance francaise libraries, i dunno if there are in mauritius(french ones)..

cheers to you,
the islander.

Hi, great ideas, thanks to all!

Need list of book shops in Mauritius that I can purchase a hard copy of the book "Psychic Gang" the book is by a local author and believe its a good read