The new expat blog

Dear member and friends,

we're happy to introduce the new Expat.com. Of course we'll all need a few days to get used to the new design.

So far, do you like it ?

Thanks for your support,

Julien

I was too excited to notice this post of yours and initiated a new one :(

I am sure we will get use to it.  :|

wilson_derry wrote:

I am sure we will get use to it.  :|

I agree. I'm just trying to explore and make my clicks right. I'm liking it so far but commenting would just be jumping the gun.

No worries the theme look great same like iOS 7. And some kind of android theme.

How can we guess who is online and offline. Testing testing legend are you online?  :/

wilson_derry wrote:

How can we guess who is online and offline. Testing testing legend are you online?  :/

Nah! I'm not  ;)

Scroll down at the end I can see you are online  legend  :dumbom:

:o That must be my ghost.

Anyways ghost let  e-b host the party

Julien please this post as well

Hi Julian,
Well it looks new but I think we need time to get used to it.

Honestly speaking, I liked the previous look. In my opinion it was more of a natural appearing.
But now everything is getting to be square with this continous spread of operating systems thing ( windows 8..then..iOS7)

Is there any way that one can chose how he/she would like to see the blog?
I prefer to use the previous theme.
Thanks

Hi ,
I'm new ( day 12) so just getting used to the site. I'm  just glad there is something. I'll take my time to surf and discover any treasures . :-)

My... IE... is... scrolling... very slowly now, and IE froze (intermittent). Maybe its just the PC at work, will check it out from home later with a few other browsers. Visually it will need some time getting used to.

Modjo, which version of iE are you using ?

Lion R.E wrote:

Hi Julian,
Well it looks new but I think we need time to get used to it.

Honestly speaking, I liked the previous look. In my opinion it was more of a natural appearing.
But now everything is getting to be square with this continous spread of operating systems thing ( windows 8..then..iOS7)

Is there any way that one can chose how he/she would like to see the blog?
I prefer to use the previous theme.
Thanks

I don't want to be a party-pooper, but I agree with the Lion.  This new interface requires so much scanning.  What I want to see isn't immediately obvious.  One of the things that has made me an active member of this forum to begin with was that I so much liked the way it looked and operated.  That's all changed now :( 

As Lion asked, is there a way to use the original interface?

:heart:  the new face as it has new and more features, tho it is sometimes lil confusing, but it always happens when you used to something for a longtime! I am sure many may like the new interface after getting used to it within one two days :cool:

I like the previous version tho it was so much easier....just my 2 cent

I guess natural inertia is because many are facing difficulties. The new interface is way too intuitive and modern. EB now looks a much better social network.  :top:

i dont like it

Change is always good.  :top:

I guess most of us mainly come here to be on the forum...In new set up from center it's sought of moved to side with a bit subdued appearance... if you can fix it ....getting it back to center aligned and conspicuous like earlier  ...it would be a delight...

Julien wrote:

Modjo, which version of iE are you using ?

IE 9 for Windows 7. I'm not quite sure which version but will check it out when I'm at work - it could be the admin settings that's making it lag/freeze though.

Ms.Holly wrote:

Easy for you to say since you're a brand new member and didn't really know the other interface.

arrhh, i dont like the new look, the previous one was so simple to use..

From a readability and topic scanning point of view, the previous was far superior in all respects, no doubt about it.

LIke everyone said, earlier one was much better and user friendly ( in earlier stages ), but I guess with time this new change will also be easy. But assigning big space or square box for a small comment is just a waste of space !!

Hi everyone,

thanks for your comments. Should you notice any bug or problem, please do not hesitate to report it in the "help us to improve the website" forum. We've already started fixing a few issues and of course we will improve everything little by little.

But why this new version ?

I invite you to read the official announcement here, on which I explain the main improvements :
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=327061

The main change is that Expat.com is now optimized for smartphones and tablets. Have you ever used the website on a smartphone ?

Your feedback are very welcome, we'll of course take them in consideration and improve things little by little.

Thanks,

Julien

Hey guys!

I am using EP on IE version 9 at work and site needs to be moded for the this IE.

The cosmetics are not coming through properly. Unfortunately I am unable to upgrade my IE due to admin locks.
Hope we have a outcome soon.

Keep up the good work EP team!

Alliecat wrote:
Ms.Holly wrote:

Easy for you to say since you're a brand new member and didn't really know the other interface.

In life, change is inevitable and constant.....  :cheers:

where is " Start New Thread " Option unable to find it ..

I Wish if we had option restore pervious Version:  :unsure :p

Ms.Holly wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Ms.Holly wrote:

Cliched reply.  Here's *another* cliche that is more applicable:  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Ms.Holly wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Ms.Holly wrote:

Inevitable does not mean the same thing as good.  You said change is always good.  This is a false statement, obviously (not even talking about Expat.com here).  Change is inevitable in life, yes that is true, but that has nothing to do with "change is always good".

The web is changing. It's getting mobile.

We already receive 27% connections from smartphones and tablets. It is 10% more than last year, and we'll reach 30+ % in January 2014.

After consulting many experts (even Google helped us) we decided to go mobile this year. I completely understand your frustration after such big changes. But little by little, I am sure you will notice the improvements we've made on this new version.

Trapezius wrote:
Ms.Holly wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Inevitable does not mean the same thing as good.  You said change is always good.  This is a false statement, obviously (not even talking about Expat.com here).  Change is inevitable in life, yes that is true, but that has nothing to do with "change is always good".

In the context of Expat.com, Change is Good because Julian has a great vision for this site even consulted many experts. It does not matter if you are new or an old member, you just have to be receptive to change and to be inline with the vision of the administrators and experts.
Go Julian!  :thanks:

please note I am not arguing or something like that.

Our favorite members already know I wouldn't do anything that could disappoint them.

Julien wrote:

please not I am not arguing or something like that.

Our favorite members already know I wouldn't do anything that could disappoint them.

Dear

where is " Start New Thread" option ???

looks like it's been renamed "new topic"

I can arrange that if necessary

KK YASIR wrote:

Dear

where is " Start New Thread" option ???

Come on!!! There is a 'POST NEW TOPIC' link on top of the list of topics.
And another link named 'NEW TOPIC' is everywhere around.