Want to move to the Netherlands

I need some honest and correct information. I will obviously need employment but in keeping with what I have read my expectations are not overly high. I have a variety of skill and a good work history however so I am going to be useful to someone. Of course, I am realistic too so it will be a question of making every effort and trying to do things right. I will be visiting in the Amsterdam area in the early summer and would like to make an appearance if I can make some kind of contact prior to that trip. This is a sincere request which should be contrasted to so many that I have read here and there. LOL Please get in touch with me if you have any suggestions or comments, good or bad. I will be grateful for all of them. I will work with the replies to this post. THANKS so much.

Welcome Hesperion.

What is your professional experience? Which kind of work are you looking for? Can you speak several languages?

I was an aircraft mechanic for many years. I have airplane inspection experience. I have done a number of things over the years and have more than one degree in aviation related areas. Most recently I have been a railroad freight conductor and also I am a licensed and experienced locomotive engineer. However I am not going to be snobbish as to employment. I realize that the reality is such that the locals have to balance this question out. I am planning to get some Dutch language under my belt very soon. I want to at least be out of the total confusion zone by the time I visit. Then of course, intensive language learning and practice is essential and a high priority with me. Any suggestions and remarks will be most appreciated.

Well, this sort of fell flat. Am I posting in the wrong forum?? Or, is this inquiry that futile? LOL.

Hi,

I think there should be enough rather low-paid jobs in all kinds of construction stuff in NL that you should be able to get even if your level of Dutch is still in a child's shoes. But I don't know how to go about getting a working permit.

The railway company in Belgium seems to be screaming for personnel these days. But that is a state company here, and it just might be that you have to have the Belgian nationality in order to work there (and that takes at least 5 years - unless you marry some Belgian very quickly).

When you are in Amsterdam, you can visit any 'Uitzendbureau' - they specialize in jobs, mostly temperary jobs. They should be able to make an honest assessment about your job opportunities. Some of the bigger 'Uitzendbureaus' are called: Randstad (light blue logo), Adecco (red letters in logo), Start (blue letters in logo). You will probably find various offices of those guys in Amsterdam.

Good luck!

Hiiiii All,

I am presently working in India, right now I have an offer to work in Netherlands,
They are offering me 2,500 euros to 3,000 euros,
Please somebody give me correct information regarding the cost of living in Netherlands,
Is this amount sufficient for a good living over there?
Can I save some good amount of money???

hi everybody,

I am grduated since the last year in chemistry.I want to try an experience in Europe more precisely in the netherlands groningen but I really don't know what to do and how to search. if someone can give me tips, I will be happy! thank you

Hi there,

As a chemist you could focus on the petro industry in the Rotterdam area called Botlek

Mike

are there any nurse anesthetists out there who have picked up and moved from america to the netherlands?