Driving licence

Greetings everyone in Malta,
Anyone any idea how to go about on changing your driving licence for a Maltese one.  Thanks in advance.

I've messaged you a link covering topics below - see 17

1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency certificate ?
9. where can I get the residency application forms ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ? - EDIT no longer applicable as ID cards no longer issued to foreigners
11. what documents do I need to apply for residency ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13.1 buying a property FAQ
13.2 selling a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
17.1 Applying for driving licence
18. Long term residency certificate
19. EHIC
20. electricity/water bills - domestic v residential

Hi georgeingozo,
would you mind sending me he link too?
Cheers,
Ondrej

This link covers what is required ..

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … ng-licence

The link I sent covers not just how, but under what circumstances its worth doing, as its not necessarily a legal requirement to do so. For example if you swap it, your new licence will show a start date as date of swapping, and some hire companies will refuse to hire you a car until you've had a licence for 12 months

georgeingozo wrote:

The link I sent covers not just how, but under what circumstances its worth doing, as its not necessarily a legal requirement to do so. For example if you swap it, your new licence will show a start date as date of swapping, and some hire companies will refuse to hire you a car until you've had a licence for 12 months

Except that on the reverse side the date you passed your test for each category is shown.

So all the hire company needs to do is read the reverse!

I know of people who have been refused

The way round it is to
1. keep a photocopy of your old licence
or even better
2. get a letter from your old licence issuer - the UK issues those free of charge as they are aware of this problem

Due to EU laws it is not obligatory to exchange any EU driver license as long as it is valid in the country of issuance.

Malta, of course, seems to have it's own interpretation also in this matter for the only purpose to make additional money.
They recommend to exchange your license resp. "encourage" other people/authorities not to recognize non-maltese documents.

I will for sure never ever exchange my Austrian driving license (valid for an unlimited period) to a Maltese one (valid for 10 yrs only) ... besides, outside Malta everybody is laughing when seeing any Maltese document.

Another example, if you have an international valid RYA skipper license you're not allowed to drive a boat with more than 30hp in the waters around Malta unless you have the TM Nautical License (costs 150,-, 2 days training and exam at MCAST).
Yes, the RYA license is valid - but not "recognized" from selected local authorities ;)