How to Live a Life in Saudi

I have been working here in Dammam for more than 2 years, and I honestly could tell that up to now I am still struggling on the way to cope up with co work mates and company cultures.
Let me give you a glimpse the reason why I have this difficulty.
Back in the Philippines where I had my studies and vast work of trainings and experiences. I worked with good structured company and with professional officemates.

Upon arriving here in Saudi I never thought that I will be culture shocked, coz I am a person with strong personality and positive outlook in life. I cannot imagine here that your countrymen not in general would do something bad against you when they found out that you are good enough in your skill and witty.

There was a time that I am placed in the stage of chaotic situation, where the company culture differ with the one that I used to observe and implement back in the Philippines.

I believe it is not only me that experience this way, I know there are some of you out there experiences the same way too.

Let me invite you to share this struggles and what did you do to advance and cope up with.

I will share to you how am I facing this situation on my next mail.

Panggalatok

Hi Panggalatok,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Your post was moved to the Dammam forum for better visibility.

Sorry to hear about those hard time, hope things get better soon. ;)

Regards,

David.

Hi Pang, you don't give any specific examples.  All I can say, from my experience, is to learn to 'go with the flow.' 

I had a colleague from the UK didn't understand this.  She was always expecting the people we worked with to act like Westerners and expected the work environment to be like what she knew in the UK.  Of course, this wasn't the way it was (nor could be) and so she was always angry and frustrated.  Needless to say, she didn't have a pleasant work experience.

Hi David and Alie,

Thank you for your comforting words, yes I do now learning on how to go with the flow. But sad to say it does not make me feel happy at all.
I am flexible person but not to the point that I will be flowing with them to be a worse person just like the politicians in the Philippines,that is why I am struggling.
I try to shut my mouth and eyes, and learning to accept the situation.
Everyday I talk to them with cautious, especially to my fellow Filipino co-worker, cause they have 2 faces. I told myself if this situation will continue through out the year, I think I need to have other option that will make me happy while I am doing my work.

I'm so sorry that you're in this bad situation :(

Check your inbox.

Well ,I gotta tell ya ,in order for you to feel comfort in Saudi ,Just DON"T be so sensitive to things or people around you ,Just be careless,if they are bad or  good ,Just don't think of it much and Ignore it ..Be Selfish, do what makes you happy like (Games , Sports ,Shopping or anything you Enjoy doing )...

Sorry to hear that Paggal,

Well office politics exist everywhere not only in KSA. You are here to work and contribute so try to keep that as focus and dont loose track with any negative circumstances. Always keep yourself positive. This environment calls for survival of the fittest.

Try to get frens out of work and create a balance lifestyle. Remember, you create environment as per your thought. So, try to keep it as positive environment and try to look at everthing in positive outlook and look into improving urself everday.

Always keep in mind that the tough gets goin when the going gets tough. Always learn learn learn and keep urself modest. One day you will see difference in your environment. Ohh ya and do lots of reading on positive books like 'Secret' or 'Leader without title'.

I am working at Sabic and have 2 Saudi bosses whom I have no regret working for. They are wonderful ppl. So, create the environment which I belive you will.

Stay positive brother.