new to this

Hi,
i am offered a job in Riyadh , Saudi Arabia, how is live over there?
I need a flat, transport, and some entertainment, and i am nearing 70 years. Medical care?
I still have some reservation, lived in Asia and mainly Europe.

jpvanheist wrote:

Hi,
i am offered a job in Riyadh , Saudi Arabia, how is live over there?
I need a flat, transport, and some entertainment, and i am nearing 70 years. Medical care?
I still have some reservation, lived in Asia and mainly Europe.

Hello,

Life is Saudi Arabia is surprisingly comfortable if you get the hang of it.

The forum contains plethora of information, ranging from legal to illegal.

Please do spend some time searching and reading through the forum.

If you have any specific questions please do come back, and we will gladly help.

PS: Health insurance is mandatory, and it is your sponser's responsibility. You may however inquire your potential sponsor as to what level will they provide. The higher the level the better as it will cover the really expensive private hospitals and more health options.

Strange to hear that you have been offered a job and you are 70. The official retirement age is 60 in KSA for expats, unless you are in some key position. Make sure you know the legal formalities before you come in.

Medical care should be provided by employer since its mandatory.

HRGuru wrote:

Medical care should be provided by employer since its mandatory.

Make sure your employer doesn't ask you to come on a visitor's visa. Medical insurance policies don't exist in KSA for people on visitor visas.

thanks
I did not accept the offer yet, apparently state owned company's don't mind a 69 year young to be hired for the duration of 1 year.
I assume state owned company's to be correct with visa's and medical care.
Tell me, thus one hire a car? is driving over there save, are there English direction sings or is it in Arabic.
-Is there a metro system in Riyadh?
-Can one enjoy a glass of wine with a meal?
-Is English commonly used, outside the job, like in restaurants or shops?
jp

jpvanheist wrote:

thanks
I did not accept the offer yet, apparently state owned company's don't mind a 69 year young to be hired for the duration of 1 year.
I assume state owned company's to be correct with visa's and medical care.
Tell me, thus one hire a car? is driving over there save, are there English direction sings or is it in Arabic.
-Is there a metro system in Riyadh?
-Can one enjoy a glass of wine with a meal?
-Is English commonly used, outside the job, like in restaurants or shops?
jp

No way you will get a glass of wine at any restaurant.

There are however arrangements, you will need to keep in close contact with those who can provide, and you can enjoy the same in the comfort of your own home.

There is no metro system, and you will need a vehicle of your own, some employers provide a driver too.

English is spoken and understood.

- Driving directions are not very friendly in overall. Except the major exits on highways, numbers are not used for streets/roads (Arabic names in use). And this is what you'll find on biligual signboards. Driving is really crazy here with accidents rate as one of the worst in the world.

- No metro system (yet). Taxis the only option.

- Glass of wine with meals? It's an alcohol free country :o NO WAY!!!

- People do know English. I can't call it a major problem.

jpvanheist wrote:

thanks
I did not accept the offer yet, apparently state owned company's don't mind a 69 year young to be hired for the duration of 1 year.
I assume state owned company's to be correct with visa's and medical care.
Tell me, thus one hire a car? is driving over there save, are there English direction sings or is it in Arabic.
-Is there a metro system in Riyadh?
-Can one enjoy a glass of wine with a meal?
-Is English commonly used, outside the job, like in restaurants or shops?
jp

You really need to do some homework because some of the things that you asked (wine? :blink: ) are very common knowledge regarding Saudi Arabia.

You should browse the threads and the EB GUIDEis a source of good information.

Best of luck.

New topic