Bahrain steps up traffic penalties ?

When i arrived in Bahrain, one of the things that surprised me was the driving here. I have never seen anything like this. Overtaking at dangerous speeds only to go one car ahead, speeding excessively on the highway, jumping red lights, impatient drivers using the hard shoulder, very young children in the front passenger seat without seat belts, texting at high speed ...and the list could go on.

:huh:

I remember reading on the Bahrain forum "Welcome to the crazy roads of Bahrain" and how true this was. Another quote was "please don't become one of them" which meant, not to become a ruthless driver on the road. Its so easy to pick up bad habits here and so i encourage all motorists to avoid these bad habits, drive safely and think of others on the road, not just your self.

:)

May be the country where I've lived, there are strict rules and regulations regarding motoring offenses, so most motorists obey them. Well there may be hope here. I came across an article on the net and wanted to share this with others here.

Please click on this link for further reading.

Do you feel this will deter the Formula 1 racers on the roads of Bahrain? :rolleyes:

Enjoy the weekend and drive safely.. ;)

J

Isn't it about time ?? ^^

They forgot to talk about using a cell phone while driving, the fine might go up to 500 BHD ! That might help a lot of drivers have more focus on what they do !

The only thing that sounds unfair in the project is the part where they would like to establish a minimum salary to get a licence.

Nevertheless, this has to go through the Shura Council now and if MPs and the Shura Council would speak with one voice... we would be aware of it :p

As English people say : "Wait and see"

Cheers

Olivier

Thanks for your comments Olivier.

I agree, its about time too.. I sure hope so they will clamp down on these ruthless drivers out there. I for one experience so much non-sense especially on Thursday evenings when passing by in Juffair and Adliya, its so shocking.. :blink:

They do mention about using mobiles while driving, its explained in the paragraph under Stringent new punishments. This one definitely needs to be enforced!... ;)

J

You're about right !
Nevertheless, another part is the lack of policemen on the road.
You can have the harshest laws, if there is nobody to enforce it...

In five years here in total, I have never ever been stopped or checked by the road police.

Cheers

O.

I feel sick when I see drivers speeding with unrestrained children in the car, putting your own children's lives at risk as well as other road users is selfish beyond belief. Would be interesting to see how these new penalties affect the masses of Saudi's visiting for the weekend. Bahrain is not a third world country so hopefully with time things will improve.

I feel sick when I see drivers speeding with unrestrained children in the car, putting your own children's lives at risk as well as other road users is selfish beyond belief.

I agree.. I see this quite often. Just yesterday i noticed a driver with a child no more than 2 /3 years old in the front seat, no seat belt! Similar to Olivier' comment, if no Policemen are on the road and the drivers know that its highly unlikely a policeman will be present, they will keep on doing this. :(

I have a feeling even if this proposal comes into effect, nothing will change. The fines can be there as much as they want but they mean nothing if the police doesn't do enough random checks.

You're right Olivier. Wait and see.

Agreed.

I too do not think the proposed (or even the current law) would work and the main reason being  utter disregard for common courtesies, lack of common sense and absence of proper policing. The days in which Bahrain drivers were a disciplined and courteous lot have long gone by. This was the only alternative to policing. When I first got to Bahrain in the late 90s things were not as bad. Majority of drivers were well behaved. Things deteriorated rapidly though. But the police never got out of their bunkers.

Its simply a mess now.  :(

No rule for driving without due care and attention

No rule for dangerous driving

No rule for threatening behaviour while behind the wheel and using your car as a lethal weapon.

No rule about crossing three lanes of traffic to exit on to a slip road at the last minute regardless of who you hurt, damage or freak out on the way.

Police will do nothing, never have, never will......Put them on commission.....??

Police will do nothing, never have, never will......Put them on commission.....??

lol :lol:

In UK some traffic wardens are on commission based salaries and i think they make a fair bit. So maybe the cops being on commission here, well they stand to make a fair bit too.. :D

They will make a fortune looking at the list - especially with smoking being one of the fines listed

Majority of drivers were well behaved. Things deteriorated rapidly though. But the police never got out of their bunkers.

I always heard police in the US sit in their cars scoffing doughnuts.. I wonder whether it the same here :whistle: what would it be here? shish tawook :lol:

Ok, on a serious note, with the soaring temperatures in the summer, it would be pretty uncomfortable to sit outside in the car for the whole day on shift (even though i know cars have aircon), the car engine would be run for the whole day just keeping the policeman cool? or how about the motorbike police being outdoors, again this would be pretty uncomfortable.. I'm sure these questions have been asked before well before i got here.. :D

Personally i feel there should be more traffic cameras on the road where number plates can be captured and tracked back to the offending individual(s). This can all be done in the office (a nice and cool place..and where you can eat your doughnuts :lol: ). This method probably wont catch all offenders, but i'm sure it would be a start? :whistle: I know someone will ask about the camera lens being cleaned frequently due to the dust here. :D ..well the revenue generated from the traffic could go towards creating a job for someone.. ;)

lets wait and see what happens :):whistle:

Friday's paper had an interesting followup you can read gulf-daily-news.com that pretty much says that the Shura council will make some "radical changes" and will re-write and present a much better law.  Said that high fines only caused more problems.  It will be interesting to watch this one sort itself out.

DebbieT11 wrote:

Friday's paper had an interesting followup you can read gulf-daily-news.comthat pretty much says that the Shura council will make some "radical changes" and will re-write and present a much better law.  Said that high fines only caused more problems.  It will be interesting to watch this one sort itself out.

Bahrain hasn't a clue how to make radical changes and present a better law. None of this will happen as they are too lazy to care and the police won't implement anything.

That is certainly true. Why do we need a new laws that will not be policed properly, when we already have an existing set of laws that are not policed properly.

Same holds true for the great plan by the authorities to sort out the "sponsor holding my passport" problem.

On the other hand though, in a country where the public transport is almost non-existent, people will be forced to use their own cars as taxis are very expensive for most people here. And one of the major drivers for the economy in Bahrain is tourism, I guess they will have to be relaxed about certain rules. It's a catch 22 situation really.

Ah yes, the cause of the massive influx of would be drivers in the traffic directorate, mainly because this new "bill" or whatever they call it that says a minumum salary of "this much" and a job description of "this job" is now required.

Right, I hope they also adress the problem with the "Registered" drivers too,I mean, please, at least teach them how to use indicators and tell them this is not Grand tourismo or Need for speed.

Update  : GDN Today