Kiwi family guy in Riyadh, got a job offer is it worth moving?

Hi there!

Been here a few days now and seems pretty bleak on the things to do front, we have got two youngsters who are very outdoors type and in NZ we live near the beach, is it worth moving to Riyadh?

Not sure about the whole lack of pork (BBQ's without pork chops?) or lack of beer!

Be keen to hear some advice or meet folk who have a family and have come from either NZ or Oz.

I'm neither a Kiwi nor an Aussie, so I can't speak from that perspective.  However, a few questions for you that will help others when responding:

1) What's your interest or purpose in working/living in the Kingdom? 

2) What benefits does this job offer include?

3) What are your children's ages and gender?

4) What family activities are on your "must have" list?

Another question:  when you say you've been *here* for a few days, do you mean Riyadh (or are you referring to the Expat.com)?

As for pork being forbidden, no beach in the desert, no alcohol, no movies, etc., it is what it is.

thanks for the quick responses!

In answer to Smurfette's questions

1) What's your interest or purpose in working/living in the Kingdom? 

On a temporary secondment at the moment for a specific project and there is a position free I expressed interest n and have been told the roles mine if I want it. Am exploring all the options

2) What benefits does this job offer include?
Usual accommodation and schooling fees and a decent salary

3) What are your children's ages and gender?
very active Boy 5 and girl 8 having spoken to them they are both keen on exploring a new country

4) What family activities are on your "must have" list?

No real must haves as long as we have time together and get out and explore as a family.

Alliecat, here as in staying in Riyadh

I would say that if you can get into a good Western compound with other families the kids will be fine!  Their ages are okay for KSA (I usually discourage people with tweens/young teens).

Alliecat wrote:

Another question:  when you say you've been *here* for a few days, do you mean Riyadh (or are you referring to the Expat.com)?

As for pork being forbidden, no beach in the desert, no alcohol, no movies, etc., it is what it is.

No movies ? :blink:

no cinema :dumbom:

valar_morghulis wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

No movies ? :blink:

no cinema :dumbom:

AMERICAN, habibi:  movies !!! :P

Alliecat wrote:

AMERICAN, habibi:  movies !!! :P

:one for Torrents