Moving to Oslo.. From Athens !!!many questions

Hi everyone ,

I have to take the risk and moving over from Athens
where I live for20 years ( my nationality is albanian)
I've been trying so hard but it's so difficult the sutuation
with the problem of economic crises ( 500 euros tha base salary)

So,a friend of mine invite me to Oslo , she's one year there was doing well
( she learned Norwegian ,she's  working , made new friends , earned money .)

The problem is that I tryed to find some informations on the official site of norway and it sais
That I don't need visa but its not clear if I need to make a registration ??  I don't speak Norwegian can I find a job for English speaker ?? What kind of job ??  This is the only way to stay in norway to work somewhere ??

So many questions . . If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm always open to meet new people  :)

Thanks

Georgia

Hello,

I don't know what the situation for an Albanian citizen would be, given that Albania is not in the EU. If the official site says all you have to do is register, then perhaps that is correct.

I think it is difficult to find an English-speaking job if you don't have a particularly rare skill/education, like engineering. There is a lot of competition for jobs which don't require Norwegian. Among the jobs for Norwegian speakers, Scandinavians will generally be hired before other foreigners. So I don't think it would be easy. If you want to try, I would recommend you start learning Norwegian today. You would be surprised how far even a few words can go. If you have a friend in Norway, that should help you quite a bit.

Good luck,

Thank you for your advises ..

My friend is Bulgarian ( EU) so she don't know the rights for Albanian citizen ...
On the site is not clear that I have to do a registration and the embassy here in Athens
Don't allow appointments , even to call them and ask some informations ... So this is why
I have so many questions ..

The weird thing for me it's that my friend use to work as a general manager to the Fridays company( restaurants) here and she tryed to find a job like that in norway and she didn't make it .. They
Wanted her to speak the language.
I use to work as hostess at the best restaurants here and public relations they don't need
something like that ?? Or is so  important to know the language ?!!

To the brochure <> sais that knowledge of Norwegian is a prerequite for obtaining a job in norway but in some branches such as the construction industry, farming, the fishing industry and the hotel and restaurants industry a good command of English may suffice.
Is that true ?? I'm interesting for hotel and restaurant industry .

Any advise will help me :)

You should perhaps look at http://www.udi.no/Norwegian-Directorate … residence/ for information about what is required. The site is available in different languages. I've given you the link to the English version.

I sometimes get a waiter or waitress who doesn't speak Norwegian but it is quite rare. I think if you and someone who speaks Norwegian both apply for a job, the Norwegian speaker would get it, even if they had less experience. There are so many people looking for a job which doesn't require speaking Norwegian that I think the competition is very tough. You can look through job listings on the site http://www.finn.no/finn/job/fulltime/result. The site is in Norwegian, but you can try searching in English. If they want an English speaker, they might post the job information in English.

I'm going to search for more informations
of course these sites will help me .

I will be in muconos for the summer season  and after that
In September I'm thinking to move in norway ..

I understand that is not easy to find a job ( no language )
But I'll learn the language as is posible in 3 months ..

Thank u so much for your time :))

Hi,

Try to go to the following site which is from NAV

http://www.nav.no/English

The site is a governmental site, and it includes information for foreigners in Norway.

The site is also an employment / job site where you can search for jobs.

You should contact the Norwegian Embassy if you have questions in regard to your visa - try to send them an email.

Another large job site is http://www.finn.no/jobb/

It is important that you use key word searches when searching for jobs, for instance you could write "Greek, Albanian , English" etc to see if any jobs are out there targeting your language skills.

It is almost impossible to find work in Norway if you do not speak Norwegian.

Georgia Fuga wrote:

Hi everyone ,

I have to take the risk and moving over from Athens
where I live for20 years ( my nationality is albanian)
I've been trying so hard but it's so difficult the sutuation
with the problem of economic crises ( 500 euros tha base salary)

So,a friend of mine invite me to Oslo , she's one year there was doing well
( she learned Norwegian ,she's  working , made new friends , earned money .)

The problem is that I tryed to find some informations on the official site of norway and it sais
That I don't need visa but its not clear if I need to make a registration ??  I don't speak Norwegian can I find a job for English speaker ?? What kind of job ??  This is the only way to stay in norway to work somewhere ??

So many questions . . If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm always open to meet new people  :)

Thanks

Georgia